TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: clutch slave cylinder hydraulic fitting specs? Page: 1, 2  Next
kdinger Thu May 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I am replacing the clutch slave cylinder on our 1987 Vanagon (Westfalia, full camper, though I can't imagine that matters) and cannot get the fitting by which the hydraulic line attaches off of the old slave cylinder. It has threads on one end that screw into the slave cylinder and a barbed fitting that the hydraulic line fits onto on the other end. Does anyone know the size/specs for this fitting? the best place to get a new one? a general fastener supplier?

Thanks, Keith

Alaric.H Thu May 12, 2011 5:28 pm

10x1 single DIN flare.

http://www.brakequip.com/tubenuts.html

BQ72

kdinger Thu May 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Alaric.H wrote: 10x1 single DIN flare.

BQ72

Great! Thanks for this. The fitting that is on there now takes a 12 mm wrench, whereas this one takes a 10 mm, but I guess that's fine, it is the size of the threaded part that matters. But, I don't see a barbed fitting on part BQ72? How would the hydraulic line attach to BQ72?

Thanks, Keith

McVanagon Fri May 13, 2011 4:27 am

Might want to pick up one of these, too.

Alaric.H Fri May 13, 2011 4:50 am

kdinger wrote: Alaric.H wrote: 10x1 single DIN flare.

BQ72

Great! Thanks for this. The fitting that is on there now takes a 12 mm wrench, whereas this one takes a 10 mm, but I guess that's fine, it is the size of the threaded part that matters. But, I don't see a barbed fitting on part BQ72? How would the hydraulic line attach to BQ72?

Thanks, Keith You are right it is 12mm 1.0 45deg single din I just measured it.I just glanced at it yesterday and assumed it was the same as the brakes.
Sorry

snowsyncro Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:16 am

After a search, I could not find this answered directly, but this thread seems a good place to ask.

Re the clutch hydraulics, for both Syncro and 2WD, Bentley shows what appears to be a steel line at the slave, then a rubber hose, then a steel line to up front, a coupling, then another steel line to the master cylinder.

My vans have plastic lines at the cylinders, with the master cylinder having a banjo fitting, and the slave having the fitting that was described in the original post at the slave. The two plastic lines are connected to each other by a long steel line front to back.

I am rebuilding the clutch hydraulics. The fittings on those plastic lines are so thinned by rust that all that is really left is the threads. What are people doing about those plastic lines -- getting new fittings, or replacing with steel/rubbber?

@kdinger -- did you ever find the barbed fitting you were originally asking about? Since Alaric was pointing you to a single DIN flare, even after looking at his, it seems he has a steel line at his slave.

RonC

T3 Pilot Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:32 am

Take the fittings to your local industrial hydraulic hose supplier and have them fabricate a replacement that replaces the entire hose assembly from the van.

Easier to re-install on the van and you have a stronger one piece hose from clutch master to slave.

snowsyncro Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Thank You, Syncro Pilot. That is good advice. The fittings are standard brake fittings, so they won't be difficult to find. I was mostly curious about what people were doing when their vinyl lines are getting old.

RonC

RicoS Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:22 pm

McVanagon wrote: Might want to pick up one of these, too.

Just make sure it has either Proto or Snap-On stamped on it.

Richie

insyncro Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:43 am

I just make new lines from braided -AN line from Earl's or Aeroquip.

I have also used a quick disconnect at the slave on my personal vans that have the driveline R&Red often...no bleeding needed...hook up and go.
Same for the fuel, power steering and cooling lines.

I do this because all conversion drivelines I build are tested before being put into clients vans.
A real time saver.

cegrover Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Does anyone with multiple van experience know of the threads changed when this clutch slave line went from a flare nut fitting to a banjo? I have a 1985 Westy and found no clutch pedal pressure yesterday and signs of leaks at the slave. Hoping to make this a one-day fix, I got master and slave cylinders from a local parts store. The master went in quickly and without a hitch.

With the slave cylinder, however, it seems that the threads don't match those on my van's hydraulic line. My Westy has the flare nut type fitting and a metal line - not the banjo type I've read about and there is no plastic line, which I understand some have.

I looked up the part number on the slave cylinder I bought and it appears that the shop says it'll also fit a 1989 Vanagon. That's raising a red flag with me, unless someone knows that the threads didn't change when the fitting type did.

I guess the other possibility is that the flare nut's threads are damaged, but the threads in my old slave cylinder appear in good shape (i.e. the nut didn't leave metal/threads in there).

I suppose my choices involve returning the slave cylinder for one with correct threads or getting a line to fit this one...

Thanks for any help!

snowsyncro Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:11 pm

The slave should be M12 x 1.0, as noted earlier. The flare should be single DIN flare, often (but incorrectly) called a 'bubble' flare. I am not aware, in my limited experience, of a banjo fitting on the slave, but it could well be.

I just re-ran all new lines, using 1/4-inch line with SAE double-flares, because that was all I could easily get locally. Then, i re-flared the ends for the DIN flares. You can see I had to use the old fittings, because I could not find the M12 x 1.0 locally, for 1/4 inch line, only 3/16" (4.8 mm)...

I was able to get the plastic line with banjo fitting for the master, but the slave end is NLA. I considered two other solutions -- the braided steel line that Dylan and others are using, also going back to the old steel line at the slave and the rubber compliance line. I decided to try an experiment, which I already think is doomed to fail. It put a few coils in a steel line, for compliance, but the 1/4 inch line is pretty stiff still. Here it is, not quite finished...

You can see the old plastic line here. I think it would still work, but it is hopelessly welded into the old slave...

RonC

cegrover Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:57 am

snowsyncro wrote: The slave should be M12 x 1.0, as noted earlier. The flare should be single DIN flare, often (but incorrectly) called a 'bubble' flare. I am not aware, in my limited experience, of a banjo fitting on the slave, but it could well be.RonC

Okay, so it sounds like the change to banjo was just for the master - I may have been confusing myself there!

I'm going to run with the assumption/hope that the threads on the flare nut bolt got messed up and that the slave cylinder is fine. As such, I will replace the line...will report back!

peasant Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi, I was on my way to an annual vw gathering in my town when I blew my clutch line.

I jacked it up and am doing the clutch line and brake lines that have not been done yet.

I went down to NAPA and they have all the brake lines but the best they had for the clutch line was standard m10 3/16 brake lines that they could put a m12 adapter on to make it fit the slave and plastic line up front.
I called Parker to see if they could make me a line and they said they don't have that fitting, only have it in m12x1.5

Main problem is, my rear plastic line is unreusable.

My concerns with the NAPA option are:

Is it okay to use the smaller gauge line?
The hard line would connect directly to the slave, was the plastic line there to absorb movement/vibration. I would be worried the hard line connected to the trans might be less than desirable?
I am not thrilled about the NAPA option and would like something better.

I was hoping to have a nice line made from parker. Those AN fitting aeroquip look nice, not sure where to source locally and would rather not build my own lines ordered the pieces online, then end up with the wrong stuff.

Just curious what others are doing for this?

insyncro Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:07 pm

With brake and clutch hydraulic lines, I try to use the same ID throughout the system.
If you change the ID of the lines in one part of the system, it will change the "feel" of the system.

peasant Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:36 am

HI dylan thanks for the response,

I went down to one of the other hydraulic hose stores when I got off work this morning that has more metric stuff. The guy had the ends but the only rubber line he had was standard brake line that was 1/8 ID. I would like to have the right size ID, I am tempted to go with this line though, even if it is pricey.

I was trying to think what it would do to the feel. Rubber line would make the pedal softer but smaller ID would make the pedal stiffer. If this logic is correct I wonder what the net effect would be.

I felt it was a gamble at the time to spend $125 on something I wasn't 100% would be functional so I'm going to sleep on it, might head there later today if I don't come up with any other ideas. I also asked about the AN earls lines and he said that he had it but was also standard brake line size and would be very expensive.

The last idea I had was to get a 2 foot rubber line with one m12 fitting on one end to go into the slave and a m10 fitting on the other to use unions and regular 3/16 brake lines for the main run to the front of the van. That would atleast ease my worries about having a rigid line connect to the trans. It however does nothing for my concern about using a small ID line.

any input is welcome and appreciated

crazyvwvanman Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:48 am

The PepBoys stores near me stock the right rigid lines for the clutch system. They sell a bunch of lengths and the female-female couplers to join them for the long run front to back. The Vanagon clutch rigid lines are a standard size and not at all expensive.

For the rubber rear piece you can use the earlier Vanagon clutch hose, and a 12" rigid line between it and the slave.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_695_656/clutch_hose_hydraulic.html

Mark

insyncro Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:11 am

Bel Metric or FedHill should have exactly what is needed to make a new hardline.

I would expect a standard rubber line to expand and not be optimal, thats why i use a braided line.

tschroeder0 Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 am

Van cafe sell that line, they just make it a full rubber hydralic line and not the silly barbed plastic thing.

Wildthings Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:35 am

vanagonjetta wrote: HI dylan thanks for the response,

I went down to one of the other hydraulic hose stores when I got off work this morning that has more metric stuff. The guy had the ends but the only rubber line he had was standard brake line that was 1/8 ID. I would like to have the right size ID, I am tempted to go with this line though, even if it is pricey.

3/16" steel brake line is going to have about a 1/8" ID so I don't think running a hose with a 1/8" ID would cause any negative effects.