TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Probably the simplest question ever... Distributor wiring Goto page 1, 2  Next
kyleader Sat May 14, 2011 9:37 am

After looking at wiring diagram etc I see that the back right distributor wire should be going to the back right cylinder. The back left wire to the back left cylinders etc. My cars runs pretty good, slight hesitation at low RPM. My left side is wired up as the diagrams say it should be, but the right is opposite (back right to front right cylinder). Am I missing anything? Or should I swap the position of the distributor's wire? Sorry for the nooby question, still waiting for my manual :(

OLD VW NUT Sat May 14, 2011 9:54 am

Instead of using terms like 'back right' etc learn where each cylinder is and what number it is. This is easy to learn and is invaluable when attempting to communicate problems to anyone that speaks 'ACVW-ese'.

The right front (towards front of car) cylinder is #1. When your distributor rotor is pointed to that small scribe line in the edge of the distributor body you are at/near top dead center for $1 - or should be. #2 is the right rear cylinder - front left is #3 - and left rear is #4. Firing order is 1-4-3-2.

yauchzee Sat May 14, 2011 10:05 am

Taken from gallery:

HRVW Sat May 14, 2011 10:50 am

:o :? :?: One thing many do not understand is the proper position of the firing order...be it towards the crank pully or #1 cy. On a bug it can be just about any direction....whereas on a T3 FI there is only one spot because of the dist vac and tight area.
Another thing also not realized is that a vac dist will have #1 at one point and on the installation of a 009 the #1 location changes 90 degrees. Yep... things do change. Steve

OLD VW NUT Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 am

HRVW wrote:
Another thing also not realized is that a vac dist will have #1 at one point and on the installation of a 009 the #1 location changes 90 degrees. Yep... things do change. Steve
Not true. There is no difference between installing a stock vacuum distributor or an 009. #1 mark - and plug wire will be at the same place.

Paul Windisch Sat May 14, 2011 11:41 am

OLD VW NUT wrote: HRVW wrote:
Not true. There is no difference between installing a stock vacuum distributor or an 009. #1 mark - and plug wire will be at the same place.

WRONG. If you have a 009, the drive is indexed 90* off from that of a stock distributor.

Mikeys_Fasty Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Paul is right. if you have a stock distributor on you engine, pull off the cap, install an 009 and put the cap on it, it will not run.

yauchzee Sat May 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Sorry...the image I put up is misleading. I was just trying to illustrate to the OP the engine layout for the cylinders. As far as firing order, I think all of you are correct if I am reading the posts properly. Yes, stock distributor is indexed differently, but the #1 mark on the distributor is where the rotor should be pointing when at tdc if the distributor drive is installed correctly with the 009 and stock, correct? The #1 mark on the distributor will change orientation in the car depending on which distributor you have...it won't always be oriented towards the crank. I think that was what Old VW Nut was saying, but could be wrong...I have been wrong once before :)

I take the blame for the misleading image...I should have noted to the OP that the image is for the 009 orientation on the bottom.

Mikeys_Fasty Sat May 14, 2011 1:18 pm

boy if you've managed to be wrong only once before, you're doing better then me :) yes, in either case, when you are at tdc, you want the rotor pointing to the mark on the distributor for #1.

yauchzee Sat May 14, 2011 1:38 pm

My wife hates it when I use the old "wrong once before" line on her. Seems I am always wrong!

Zundfolge1432 Sat May 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Regardless of which dist you use and for your own information it would be of value to learn location of TDC @ #1.... Why? BECAUSE people have over the years installed dist drive gears backwards, that is 180 degrees out or have have switched dist drive on bottom of dist also refered to as driving dog 180 degrees out .....

The pictures in the various manuals presumes that everythings in correct position which is sometimes not the case in the real world ....Forget those factory markings until you verify them correct, just a word to the wise :D for simplicity concentrate on only #1 cylinder its forward right side as you face engine, turn crank till pulley lines up mark on case half just like manual photo, now have an assistant keep turning as you watch #1 exhaust valve it should begin to open as you turn clockwise, this is your verification it was on #1 @TDC thats it no matter where the rotor is pointing because as I said some jackass could have installed parts wrong .....

Figure out what I am putting down here and you'll be able to wire any engine without relying on factory marks or even looking at dist rotor.... Look at it this way with pulley lined up at case split line you've got a 50 50 chance of being on #1 so watch that exhaust valve Why? because thats the next sequence in a 4 cycle engine, its the proof, use it , feel it , love it............

If you find yourself on #3 TDC when mark is lined up turn one complete revolution in either direction and you'll be back on #1 garanteed, no bullshit look at the firing order 1432 and look at my screen name would I bullshit you????? :D

kyleader Sat May 14, 2011 7:08 pm

HRVW wrote: :o :? :?: One thing many do not understand is the proper position of the firing order...be it towards the crank pully or #1 cy. On a bug it can be just about any direction....whereas on a T3 FI there is only one spot because of the dist vac and tight area.

Ok, so occording to this, the cylinder number 1 and 2 and 'switched' on that diagram of the distributor wires. And the left side is parallel. Weird, thesamba wiring diagram says cylinders 1 and 2 are paralell as well :/

kyleader Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 am

My source for thinking it was switched up..

EMPIImp69 Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Paul Windisch wrote: OLD VW NUT wrote: HRVW wrote:

WRONG. If you have a 009, the drive is indexed 90* off from that of a stock distributor.

Anyone have a pic of the 009 sitting at TDC and rotor pointing to #1? I have mine pointing to what I think is #1 but afraid its might actually be pointing to #3? thanks

dan macmillan Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:36 pm

kyleader wrote: My source for thinking it was switched up..

This diagram cannot be used for timing/firing order purposes. It can only be used {dist section} to let you know that there are 4 plug wires.

mrbigmax Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Your plug wires are fine. You probably need to do a tune up to get rid of the hesitation.
http://www.vw-resource.com/tune_up.html

Glenn Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:35 pm

ashman40 Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 pm

EMPIImp69 wrote: Anyone have a pic of the 009 sitting at TDC and rotor pointing to #1? I have mine pointing to what I think is #1 but afraid its might actually be pointing to #3? thanks
If your engine is running well, you can just trace the spark plug wire from the #1 cylinder (see engine diagram above for which cylinder is #1) to where it attaches to the distributor cap.
Rotate the crank pulley until the TDC or timing marks are at the case split. Your rotor will now be pointing to EITHER #1 or #3 post on the distributor cap. If it is #3, rotate the crank another 360-deg and the rotor should now be pointing to #1 post and the timing marks should be lined up with the case split. You are NOW at TDC for #1.

If your engine is NOT running and you are not sure where #1 is on the distributor cap.... watch the video on this thread to find #1 TDC by using valve movement.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438063
Once you have confirmed #1 TDC via valve movement, where ever your rotor is pointing IS the #1 post on your distributor. Wire the remaining posts clockwise in this order: 1-4-3-2

lyrikz Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:57 am

kyleader wrote: My source for thinking it was switched up..

Is there a larger version of this diagram somewhere?

dan macmillan Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:24 am

Wiring diagrams
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php