TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VDO Tach 6volt How to install?
Marcello_6v Fri May 27, 2011 7:39 am

Hi! I'have this VDO Tacho (from oval beetle i think).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know how to install modern 12v VDO tacho, but this has 4 "plugs"

- R ? (on left)
- G ? ( on center)
- B ? (on right)
- Ground (ok i know this one) :oops:

Thanks!!!

Harris Fri May 27, 2011 10:40 am

Marcello_6v,

The face looks correct enough for this to be an original 0-5000 tach. If so, it originally ran off of a cable on the engine pulley and a wire to the coil.
Ii can be converted, if you don't have the cable, to either 6 volt or 12 volt. Not cheap to do so however.

Please post the number and date on the back to confirm if it's what it appears to be. Can't tell from the photo.

Marcello_6v Fri May 27, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Harris! Thank you! :D Sorry for the bad quality of the "rear" photo!

Here another one

Date (I suppose)
3 /57

Number (I suppose)

85/1/6

I don't have any cable! :shock: :shock: So now? what is this cable for? What can I do?

Harris Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 am

Marcello,

Numbers are correct for an original. Not many around. North Hollywood Speedometer in California will charge around $ 150 to convert it to 6 or 12 volts--plus shipping. Check there for a good comparable instrument shop. I don't think you can wire it as it is, but could be wrong. Just don't damage it.

This is a diagram of the cable used for this tach borrowed from J. Harasen. The tach is rare and the cable even more rare.

Marcello_6v Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks Harris! You're so kind!! Ok, i put this one in my cabinet :lol: :wink:

BulliBill Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 am

My VDO 0 to 5,000rpm set up, just missing the 36hp crank pulley nut drilled with a set screw for the cable (NOS cable too)

Has anyone "made" a crank pulley nut (drilled for cable and drilled for set screw) for use with this type of cable-driven generator/sender for this tachometer? I need to find one or have one made... last piece of the puzzle and then I can put it into use on a Okrasa motor I have.

Bill

Harris Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Bill,
Given the cable size and nut thread which you have, I believe one could be machined by a shop. I had a special connection (oil relief nut and gauge sender thread) machinds here at a hot rod speed shop in Dallas. Worked perfectly. These young kid are smart and know how to improvise.

Vintage oval Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Marcello_6v,

Did you ever get your VDO electrical sender ( generator ) mounted on you Okrasa.
I have a NOS unit with all parts and would like to see a phot of one mounted.

Thanks

Jeff

Peter_Plade Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:55 am

Hi Jeff
I have a tach like that installed in my 54 oval.
I decided to drill holes in the rear breast tin and weld in a pipe to route the cable in, think it looks better than the way shown in the original instructions.
Hope this helps you.

joe h. Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm

Peter_Plade wrote: Hi Jeff
I have a tach like that installed in my 54 oval.
I decided to drill holes in the rear breast tin and weld in a pipe to route the cable in, think it looks better than the way shown in the original instructions.
Hope this helps you.

That's brilliant! I've been hesitant to mount mine because of the cable routing. I'm going to give this a shot
Thanks Peter!

Peter_Plade Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:39 am

joe h. wrote:
That's brilliant! I've been hesitant to mount mine because of the cable routing. I'm going to give this a shot
Thanks Peter!

Thanks, let me know if ned more pics or info.