TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1982 Diesel Belt for Water Pump
bear15 Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:08 pm

1982 Diesel Belt for Water Pump

I finally got the radiator in and it is working well.

Now I have to replace both the belts on the alternator and water pump. The alternator one looks easy, but the belt on the water pump looks more difficult on our 1.6, 1982, Diesel engine. I can not find any helpful info in the manual.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your consideration.

Ed

mwsnow Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:47 pm

The original diesel setup uses a two-part water pump pulley, with shims between the pulley halves for adjustment. Add or remove shims to adjust belt tension. Store the unused shims on the outside of the pulley. Avoid tons of frustration by purchasing a single M6 threaded stud. Use the finger-tight stud as the first bolt. It will hold the pulley halves and shims in place while you get the other two bolts threaded in correctly. When the other two bolts are in, remove the stud and install the third bolt.

POS Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:00 am

Great advise, use the stud!!

WAgrower Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:53 am

Does anyone have a picture of this set up? I've got a 2 stage pulley attached to my crank shaft but only a single belt that drives the water pump and alternator.

What your describing is the crank has one pulley that drives the water pump which is a 2 stage pulley, and the 2nd stage drives the alternator?

If that's the case then I'm even more amazed at how not stock my van is...

mwsnow Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 am

The water pump pulley is split in half down its center line. In this illustration, the water pump pulley is composed of # 4, 5, and 21. 21 is the shim, and there should be several of them. #3 drives the alternator belt. FWIW, some people have converted to a single belt (like diesel cars) that drives both the water pump and alternator, but it generally has insufficient belt-to-pulley contact surface to drive the water pump without slippage. The Vanagon diesel water pump is driven faster in the Vanagon than it is in diesel cars, for good reason. I hated this system until I learned the stud trick. It is still difficult to do when the exhaust is hot, but not too much of a chore.

Bentley shows this on page 19.4, along with the instructions to check water belt tension with thumb deflection of 5-10 mm.

bear15 Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:07 am

I am confused by the M6 threaded stud trick. Is the picture below the type of stud we should be purchasing? If yes, how long should it be? Does the M6 mean a size 6 in metric?

Also, can anyone confirm the proper belt sizes for the 1.6L diesel? I think what I am reading off the old belts is:
-Water Pump: (Continental) FO AV10/9.5x643 La ??
-Alternator: (Continental) 068 903 137 FO-Z 9.5 x 600

Thanks for your help.
-Ed

WAgrower Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:15 am

Gotcha; well I'm working with a bently for a jetta so I can't look it up but that's good to know. I've got some other issues to work out first but I'll definitely be changing to this set-up to save my coolant system!
thanks for the diagram

bear15 Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am

I am confused by the M6 threaded stud trick. Is the picture below the type of stud we should be purchasing? If yes, how long should it be? Does the M6 mean a size 6 in metric?

Also, can anyone confirm the proper belt sizes for the 1.6L diesel? I think what I am reading off the old belts is:

Thanks for your help.
-Ed

WAgrower wrote: Gotcha; well I'm working with a bently for a jetta so I can't look it up but that's good to know. I've got some other issues to work out first but I'll definitely be changing to this set-up to save my coolant system!
thanks for the diagram

mwsnow Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:38 am

Those belt sizes are correct. A lot of parts stores will not have 9.5mm belts. The water pump belt is the same used for alternators on early Rabbits and Jettas. The Vanagon diesel alternator belt is difficult to find outside of specialty vendors. Carry spares...

I may be wrong about the stud size. I am doing this from memory, as my diesel van is in storage. It is probably M8. 8mm metric, about an inch long will do. Use one of the bolts for comparison at the hardware store.

bear15 Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks for the helpful information. I think I understand now.

So you have the 1.9 Diesel instead of the 1.6 Diesel we have?

Cheers, Ed

mwsnow wrote: Those belt sizes are correct. A lot of parts stores will not have 9.5mm belts. The water pump belt is the same used for alternators on early Rabbits and Jettas. The Vanagon diesel alternator belt is difficult to find outside of specialty vendors. Carry spares...

I may be wrong about the stud size. I am doing this from memory, as my diesel van is in storage. It is probably M8. 8mm metric, about an inch long will do. Use one of the bolts for comparison at the hardware store.

bear15 Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Does anyone know where we might purchase these belts?

I think what I am reading off the old belts is:

Ed

bear15 wrote: Thanks for the helpful information. I think I understand now.

So you have the 1.9 Diesel instead of the 1.6 Diesel we have?

Cheers, Ed

mwsnow wrote: Those belt sizes are correct. A lot of parts stores will not have 9.5mm belts. The water pump belt is the same used for alternators on early Rabbits and Jettas. The Vanagon diesel alternator belt is difficult to find outside of specialty vendors. Carry spares...

RCB Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:57 pm

I found both of them over at Bus Depot. The first number you posted for the alternator worked just fine. Use 9.5X643 for the water pump belt. Good luck

mwsnow Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:06 pm

bear15 wrote: So you have the 1.9 Diesel instead of the 1.6 Diesel we have?
Yes. Mine is an AAZ 1.9TD. I am running the 1.6 accessories, though, rather than the later serpentine belt system.

cptgreenvalley Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi,

I tried the stud trick but once I get three bolts in the last hole is out of reach.. meaning the holes are not in line...

Any ideas?