TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 62 RHD vert Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
joebug1956 Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Here are some pics of my 62 RHD vert. I've been in Afghanistan and just got back home. Hopefully I can get it together real soon. Been making some good progress, I'll let the pics tell the story...

This is how it looked when I got it

Here are the specs on the engine going in it:

The engine was built using a 1965 D case 40hp engine block with cam bearings. The D case is the first case to have cam bearings. The crank is stock 40hp (I think NOS) with NOS stock main bearings and rebuilt rods. It has NOS 83mm big bore kit (NPR brand) and rebuilt 1965 square boss 373 casting 40hp heads , new valves, completely gone over and vintage 1960's aftermarket domed aluminum finned valve covers (very rare). The distributor is a blue screamer Bosch 019 distributor (rebuilt) and new German cap and rotor and German spark plug wires. It has a vintage Deitz aluminum duel carb intake from the early 1960's with 2 rebuilt Solex 28 PBIC-1 carbs with 12 volt chokes. The carbs have NOS motorcycle stacks on top of them. The engine has a modified 356 Porsche fan shroud to fit the 40hp VW engine with 356 Porsche carb linkage on the back of it and the restored Fram oil filter. The NOS linkage to the carbs is from a VW industrial engine. Generator is from a 1967 beetle and is 12 volt, The fuel pump and oil pump are new. New hoses with clamps, new original fan belt, all engine tins and shroud have been powder coated. Under the shroud is a 356 Porsche oil cooler for better colling.This engine was built like a 1965 hill climb racing style.

4 tip Abarth exhaust:

[/quote]

Re-hooped and tripple chrome plated OG Fumagalli's

Chrome Empi GTV steering wheel:

RARE "Electric" tail lights:

Volmac seat recliners:

Original Albert swan necks:

restored speedo. with tripometer!!!!

NOS RHD smoked chrome Hurst shifter!!!

Body off:

New pans:

Prepping the pan for POR 15 (decided to clean up the threads too)

Seam sealed and POR 15'ed the front... tomorrow the tranny is coming out and I'll get the rear done. Then I'll paint the pan.

Oh yeah, the seat upholstry came the other day (Smooth grain gray with off white piping) just like the original stuff

Jake Martinez Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:27 pm

looks good . 8)

vweddie Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Cars looking good Joe, let me know when its ready for me to pick up... :D :D :D

Still got the split???

joebug1956 Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks! I sold the split to a friend in NC. I don't think I'll sell this one but I have said that a million times before :roll:

vweddie Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:22 am

haha, I know that saying well. My wife always gets mad cause everytime I get or even look for a different car I say "I won't be getting rid of this one"...LOL.

Can't wait to see it finished.

joebug1956 Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Got home and worked on the pan some more. Got the rear suspension/tranny out. Started to clean and prep it for some Por15.

seanboy69 Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:29 am

Nice!!! 8) 8) 8)

str8buggin Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Love the RHD bugs, will be my next purchase after I finish my 70. Keep us posted, looks like you're doing it all right the first time.

63Ragtop NZ Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Looks like you've made a great start! nice work.
Will be a cool ride with all those goodies you've collected.
Do you know any history about the car? What market is it from?
Can't be many in the US, bugger all here and all our cars a RHD.
Maybe you found it hiding in a cave in Bora Bora?
:lol:

EMPIFLAKE Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:57 am

Nice car bro! And nice accessories 8) Just curious does the tittle say anything about being rh drive on it ? I really dont see why it would but just wondered since where lh here in the states if they would add that!

joebug1956 Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:47 pm

The car came from England, from what I believe were the original owners. Car only has 74K miles. From 79-86 the inspection sticker slips shows that it was driven less than 130 miles (probably just took it to get inspected each year)

The title has no mention of RHD or LHD.

Thanks for all the compliments, more pics coming soon. Should have the seats all done up this weekend and hopefully the pan will be ready to be put back together.

EMPIFLAKE Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Nothing like rolling with the top down! Well so Ive heard! Mines still in the works! Love your cars its gonna look dope with the fumas 8)

eastcoast63 Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:45 pm

Where'd you get that gray interior from Joe?

i have a 63 that i want to use it in...

Ant

joebug1956 Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:54 pm

eastcoast63 wrote: Where'd you get that gray interior from Joe?

Ant

Vintage Warehouse (It's TMI)

joebug1956 Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Got a little done this weekend.

Started to get the seat frames ready

Rear bottom seat:

eastcoast63 Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:18 pm

joebug1956 wrote: eastcoast63 wrote: Where'd you get that gray interior from Joe?

Ant

Vintage Warehouse (It's TMI)

thanks man.... I'll look into it.

keep the progress pics up, love this build.
Ant

Jake Martinez Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Is the body going to be painted?

67_SO42 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:57 am

Yo joe,
It looks like you made it home safe man! Im super jealous your back and working on your VW's and im still stuck in the Sh!t over here. One more year... no sweat right? Ill have to tell you about the newest VW i picked up.
saweet work BTW!

joebug1956 Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:42 am

67_SO42 wrote: Yo joe,
It looks like you made it home safe man! Im super jealous your back and working on your VW's and im still stuck in the Sh!t over here. One more year... no sweat right? Ill have to tell you about the newest VW i picked up.
saweet work BTW!

Thanks man, i'll be coming back to Afghanistan around October, gotta get some more vw money... haha Be safe bro.

Jake, i'm not tearing down the body until next year. Just doing the pans and supports for now.

Jake Martinez Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 pm

ah ok cool