TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: full flow w/o pump cover
XLR8 Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:12 am

been thinking again :lol: :roll:
while ive got the 1500 motor in bits i am considering turning it into a full flow case.
now this motor is going to go into an autostick bug. this presents a problem for the autostick has a second oil pump bolted to the outside of the standard pump for the torque converter.

i have a proposition.
why cant i block the main oil galley (the fresh drilled hole in the case in pic 1) with a special custom plug (shown in pic 2) and then return oil back to the main oil galley via the PLUGGED hole BELOW the fresh drilled hole in pic one?

pressure relief for the filter will be external via some sort of plumbing and will return to the non-pressurised side of the case in pic 3 (the blue bit).

PICS:
# 1

PIC #2

PIC #3

RockCrusher Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:12 am

Your basic plan is sound except for one tiny detail.......the stock oil cooler will be disabled if you do this. If you don't disable it you will only have partial filtering and/or partial cooling and none of it will be controlled. You will need some good external cooling added in the full flow deal.

RC

XLR8 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:16 am

ok so behind the "take oil" hole is a galley right?
this feeds the oil cooler...and what else?

i was also tossing around ideas to utilise the original oil pressure relief rather than adding another 3rd one :roll:

RockCrusher Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:40 am

Behind the "Take Oil" hole is the passage to the cooler. You can't do what you are planning and reuse the original oil relief. Pressure reg and return of excess pressure to the pan must be done externally for this to work. The passages you need to modify will become just that....passages. The lower plug you show that is not removed yet is the feed directly into the main oil galley which is normally blocked by the control valve/piston. You have to block the 2 holes into the timing gear area also or you'll have no pressure.

RC

XLR8 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:45 am

where does the oil cooler outlet lead to? does it lubricate any bearings on it's trip back to the case? also, the stock cooling setup is not full flow is it?

i finally understand oil galleys and how they work, i didnt know how bottom end lubrication worked besides the basics only 3 days ago. all this learning is FUN :D :D

XLR8 Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:04 am

answered my own question.
the cooler outlet feeds the cam bearing/s.

what if i drill and tap a fitting smack bang in the middle of the FIRST oil passage (the diagonal one coming from the pump).
then i can return the oil back where conventional full flow setups do.

than's an interesting idea :P

tripicana Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 am

have you seen how some of the type 3 guys do it?

there is a plug between the two ports.

mark tucker Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 am

dont screw the plug in too far.does the torque converter use the engine oil??if so add the filter&cooler to it there.you can also get an addapter to go where the oe cooler gos to add cooler & filter.tear the motor appart to doo any of this to clean the shavings out of it and freshen it up. you could also add the plug the the gally and put the oil back in at the oil pressure switch aera if you open it up to the correct size ,or the plug above it.many ways to skin this cat, just dont get bit.

XLR8 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:07 pm

tripicana wrote: have you seen how some of the type 3 guys do it?

i can see the plug but i cant see how that is full flow. to me it looks like un-filtered oil goes from the pump then to the filter AND the pulley bearing. (one right at the front) so one of the bearings isnt getting filtered oil.

no the torque converter does not use engine oil, it is a SEPARATE pump bolted to the outside of the normal oil pump. camshaft drives first pump gear, driven pump gear drives shaft that goes through engine oil pump cover to the ATF pump, shaft drives ATF pump, seal between the 2 on the shaft to prevent oil contamination.
and yes the case is apart so all oil galleys will be thoroughly cleaned.

Juanito84 Thu May 22, 2014 11:11 pm

tripicana wrote: have you seen how some of the type 3 guys do it?

I'm going to full flow my engine. I was wondering the pros/cons of this set up. What do I need to do it?

W1K1 Fri May 23, 2014 6:02 am

Brothers does the type 3 full flow mod. They weld 2 bungs on the case and there is a plug between the 2 ports.

SBD Fri May 23, 2014 10:00 am

Has anybody used this method on a Type I? I'm wondering how easy it is to make the hoses clear the upright cooling system sheet metal. Does any of it get in the way or is it pretty much a straight shot, other than the exhaust on the left side?

Juanito84 Fri May 23, 2014 12:37 pm

That's what I was wondering.