TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The VW Bug Artificial Reef
mtnminded Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:34 pm

Not quite sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes..

I'm a diver and reef aquarium keeper. I ran across this article regarding a VW bug being used as an artificial reef down in Mexico. Thought you all would find it interesting...

Read the article at http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/the-vw-bug-artificial-reef if I've sparked your interest.

Mike

markm Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:34 pm

This is awesome! I love the way the corals are growing on the peoples faces and such!

KTPhil Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Link isn't working for me.

Photo looks like a miniature.
:-k

Bierboy Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm

:shock: Who's the dead guy/girl on the windshield?

Semper_Dad Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Amazing video

coad Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Semper_Dad wrote: Amazing video

Absolutely.

Cool now, but it will be amazing (and very creepy) in 50 years when the coral has taken over.

58758 Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:51 pm

I like the fact that it's hollow with access holes for other creatures to enter for breeding and living. Pretty neato.

KTPhil Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Okay, now the link is working.

It's not a VW Bug as the subject says... it's "in the shape of" a VW Bug. Cool, but not quite as legitimate as originally claimed ("VW bug being used as an artificial reef").

I would have preferred a Bug in the shape of yet ANOTHER '38, just to drive the KDF resurrection guys bonkers!

drscope Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Contevita wrote: I like the fact that it's hollow with access holes for other creatures to enter for breeding and living. Pretty neato.

I always thought that was rust. Now I know those are actually entrance holes for lobsters.

vw_hank Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 am

ya, the dead guy on the hood is a little creepy.....

DaVonZip Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am

that guy is actually a buddy of mine who crossed some guys from N.J...we were wondering WTF happened to him

VWKDF Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

DaVonZip wrote: that guy is actually a buddy of mine who crossed some guys from N.J...we were wondering WTF happened to him

When you say NOS it had better be.

coad Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm

The beetle is neat, but these are really going to freak people out when they're covered in coral and plant growth.

mgamike Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:21 pm

I don't see the reason for making a reef in the form of people. Make it in the form of coral and when it is covered, it will look like old growth.
Doesn't matter though, I'm sure that this will be called "ART" and will not only be allowed but lauded as something super great although it will still offgas and kill sealife for a couple of years.

TrulyVintage Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:52 am

Typical Walmart cashier line on a Friday night when only one register is open

Globespotter Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:01 am

pb_foots Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:53 pm

coad wrote: Semper_Dad wrote: Amazing video

Absolutely.

Cool now, but it will be amazing (and very creepy) in 50 years when the coral has taken over.

Assuming there's coral left in 50 years.