TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thing Child Seat?
Celthing Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 am

I searched the forum and could only find one photo (thanks Captain) of a child seat set-up in a Thing. Anyone have photos they could share? I'd love to drive my daughter a mile or so for ice cream or a slushy!

Semper_Dad Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:40 am

Chad had his back seat setup for kid carrying. Check out his thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3882741&highlight=#3882741

Fun 181 Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 pm

I've put my 2 and a half year old in a child seat and gone out for drives plenty of times. Just went out for a two hour cruise yesterday with the windshield down, and he fell asleep less than half way into it.

I've got a "convertible" car seat, meaning the seat converts into a stroller with the push of a button. I just strap him in the seat harness, and then cinch the back passenger side lap belt across the seat (across his chest and over his upper arms). He's secured in there pretty good. The downside is it's pretty cramped for the little guy's legs as the front passenger seat doesn't slide forward. I'm not sure how a regular car seat would fit. Maybe there would be more leg room because the base on a regular car seat would be smaller? At the rate he's growing I doubt he'll be able to fit in the back with that seat much longer. Too bad as he LOVES cruising in the Thing.

InkAnkUnk Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:47 pm

I have taken my son, 2 years old plenty of times. I have just fastened the lap belt through the child seat and connected the 3rd point to the very back where where those welded loops are in the back cargo area.

It is by far the safest seat in the car.

Next time I set it up Ill post a pic.

GI Joe Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45 am

InkAnkUnk wrote: I have taken my son, 2 years old plenty of times. I have just fastened the lap belt through the child seat and connected the 3rd point to the very back where where those welded loops are in the back cargo area.

It is by far the safest seat in the car.

Next time I set it up Ill post a pic.
X2 on this method... worked for both my young'uns....

Captain Spalding Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Worked for me too.

Bugs4Life Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:34 am

For my kids I use a Booster seat, it helps take up the slack for the rear seat belts. It also sits them up higher so they can see out of the car.

Captain Spalding Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 am

Bugs4Life wrote: For my kids I use a Booster seat, it helps take up the slack for the rear seat belts. It also sits them up higher so they can see out of the car.
My advice would be not to use a backless booster seat. The purpose of a booster seat is to raise a child up so that the shoulder belt isn't cutting him or her across the neck. In a lap-belt-only situation I think the child is safer without a booster. because it's better if the child's head is below the top of the seat back. Just my 2.