TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: geoffwg`s 1970 build thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Bashr52 Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 am

Just out of curiousity, what if you swapped your rear arms? That would take your negative camber and give you some positive. Once the engine and trans are in it should settle down almost flat.........

geoffwg Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 pm

im definatly going to try that, on my other thread on dezert rangers, one of the guys was telling me he has the same arms but are fliped compaered to mine

vwracin2win Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:13 am

nice! i bet thats a good feeling. are you going to be able to run lights in the head light holes? looks a little tight with the shock mount hoops

geoffwg Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 am

i was super exited when i got it on all fours!
but as for the lights, i will not be able to run lights in the fiberglass due to the hoops.

BajaBug222 Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 am

nice build

geoffwg Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am

thanks!

i flipped my arms around and that helped the camber issue,

i also finished up my front fire wall

and i bought a 002 trans!

i started looking it over and it seems to have a 091 bell housing, is there any benifit to this?

then the bellhousing numbers start with 091......... it was made in germany though.

vwracin2win Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 pm

What size are those rear tires?

Bashr52 Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 am

geoffwg wrote: thanks!

i flipped my arms around and that helped the camber issue,

I thought that may do it! Good job!

geoffwg Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:58 pm

tires are 33-10.5-15 they are on an 8 inch wide rim but i am thinking of going to a 4 inch wide.... :shock: seems to be what all the desert guys are running, of course they have bead locks...

hahaha i was about to cut off my frame horns and weld in my own pivots too!

geoffwg Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:25 pm

hey all!
updates

bajamike560 Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 am

Is that it, after all this time?????? :P KIDDING
Looks good.... Keep at it :!: and keep posting.

Mike

BajaBug222 Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:54 am

Looking good.

geoffwg Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 pm

thanks!
baja mike your killin me lol
but yeah i forgot to post these up too :wink:

geoffwg Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

its been a while but this is what ive been up too.
got my gas tank, 17 to 18 gallon
2.5 10inch foa coil over resis, and i will be getting around 14 inches of travel.
so just have to buy 930 cv`s axles stub axles drive flanges, rear springs and some other do dads and i will be drivable.

Notched Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Great build!

geoffwg Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 pm

got my starter so just need to get some paint on the cage and i can fire her up!
but cant drive around because the lack of drivetrain :roll:

Freakzinho81 Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Your car looks awesome! I was just looking over your build but didn't find much information or pics how you did your steering, I noticed you're not using the vw steering box and upgraded to a rack & pinion system; if you have some time, could you shoot some more pics and kinda go over what you did?

Sorry to bust in your build thread like that but I really need to fix all the shake :shock: :shock: in my baja!!!!
Thanks really appreciate!

Keep up the good work, it looks sick already.

geoffwg Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 am

i will try and get some pics for ya soon, but i just bought the cheaper rack and pinion, i will probably upgrade to somethig a little better here in the future, but to run a rack and pinion you need to buy or make a rack mount, not to expensive, then find the centerpoint on your beam, then mock up your rack and tie rods, i used hiem joints. after every thing is set up you need to cycle through your suspension travel and try at adjust the bump steer to a minimum, you do this by rotating the rack on the beam. if you are using a stock steering colum you might have to do some cutting to be able to mate the two up to each other. hope this helps! ill try and get some pics for ya later.

paint
bumpstops
doorbars
on to electrical!

Freakzinho81 Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:01 pm

URRRR... sounds like a lot of work!!! :shock: Thanks for all the info, I'll see what I'll do about the "shakes" maybe just replace the tie rods, or change them to hiem joints (that's just a straight exchange right?) and go from there!

Your car is looking sick, the cage came out super nice!
I just finished the electrical on mine, so GOOD LUCK with yours LOL!!! 8) (hate electrical stuff by the way)

Keep us posted :D

whitemike Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 pm

car is coming along nicely. I hope to catch up soon. !!