TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Empi GTV Badges real or Repop?
OvalinAz Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:38 am

hello i bought these A few days ago and i am wondering if they are real, i have compared them with Repo ones and they weigh more than repos, and at the top of the Letters "GTV" on the Repos the letters Round off at the top, mine do not. any way of telling if they are real? any help would be awesome
heres a pic

Rusted Relics Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:05 pm

How about a shot of the backsides?

OvalinAz Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:58 pm

looks like the tabs are broken off

OvalinAz Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 pm

anybody?

RareAir Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Those aren't remnants from broken tabs, those are casting marks. Even the latest reproduction badges have those very same casting marks, usually hidden by the dbl sided tape

andyman Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:28 pm

as to my understanding the real 1's were plastic but I sold these back in the mid 80

EmpiGT Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:39 pm

I have an original plastic one. But someone stated that there was another version of originals in metal with tabs, but have yet to see the fabled metal ones with tabs. But the Plastic ones do exist.

RareAir Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 pm

The backsides of originals aren't flat, but wavy. Seems from the manufacturing process, molten Aluminum was poured into a mold and as the Aluminum was cooled, the backside didn't settle flat

Richard Roth Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Here are the backsides of a pair of original nos 1966-67 Empi GTV badges that I own with the original tabs intact.

Dave Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:29 am

I got a few from Richard Guarino, he said he has had them since the late 1960's, or early 70's..no mounting tabs on them...

EmpiGT Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:28 am

Very Cool to see the tabs. I've heard of them but never saw them, I guess they do exist.. :wink: so what years are the plastic version?

restojohnny Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:45 am

I've had alot of aluminum ones but from what I was told only metal and plastic are original...I dunno but for sure if it's plastic it's ORIGINAL :wink: I have yet to find any metal ones with the tabs or signs of them being broken off but maybe I"m NOT looking hard enough :oops: I better get it together and start really looking for goodies huh :D

Dave Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Okay, so I am still confused I have 3 of these badges, apparently for the passenger side of the car, because when looking at it, the arrow portion points to the right...I got them from Richard Guarino, who ran the EMPI "Inch Pincher 3" up and down the eastern seaboard, and he says he took them out of his shop when he sold out in the mid-70's (LONG before the repops were being made) But before I list them for sale, I want to make SURE they are originals, and that I am not misrepresenting these to anyone, or cheating them...
<Edit/Update> I guess it doesn't matter now, because all 3 have been sold.