TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: August 25th 1967 Euro Bay Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
ratherb-buggin Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:05 pm

I have a pretty rare first month production, August 25th 1967 Euro Standard Bay. It's currently the 17th-18th oldest bay known in the registry. Since it's fairly old and there aren't a ton of first month production buses out there I'm torn on whether or not to lower it? I was thinking of giving it the same treatment that I gave my last 68 sunroof.

Just wanted to get some different opinions. Should I preserve it as stock since it's early or just give her the lowered treatment? Personally I like the look of lowered bays, but I've left buses alone before as to not hurt their "stock" value.

Bus in question.

Old bus after I gave her some love! : )

Zelten Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:10 pm

I voted to not lower it, but it is your bus and you can do whatever you want with it. I don't care for the lowered look so I would never lower a Bay. I would think that because it's such an early Bay you could sell it and use the money to buy another bus to lower. But I don't know, I'm not clued into the value of older Bays.

fastwagens Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

It really depends if you are driving it daily or not. since you been down this road before you know the disadvantages of a lowered ride.

Krautski Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

That's the type of bus that's just better off left stock.

ratherb-buggin Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks guys! You kind of nailed what I was thinking.

rivifunbus78 Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I could go low or stock I think its more important to make good repairs and alter nothing but the ride hight

mattcuddy Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Stock height all the way.

fastwagens Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 pm

You can always go back to stock.

Volksdraggin Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:38 pm

I mean if you don't tub it or cut it, it can always go back up. Bays look sweet hammered and that 68 is totally butt secks.

Westfabulous Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Why, why, why? Leave it alone. Please, I beg you.

chimneyfish Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Stay stock, please [-o<

superman73 Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:52 pm

i like the stock ground clearance....stock for me.

68 Bay Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:06 pm

LOWER IT, AND PUT A SUBARU MOTOR IN IT :twisted:

GusC2it Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:20 pm

You can lower it 2 1/2" with WW spindles and one notch on the rear arms, and the next owner can easily raise it back. That's what I did!

myfresh70 Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Tipping on the Slammed side, your previous bus was and still is a beauty probably. you gotta go LOW-n-SLOW 8)

pitbug Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 pm

GusC2it wrote: You can lower it 2 1/2" with WW spindles and one notch on the rear arms, and the next owner can easily raise it back. That's what I did!

Me too :D but there is a 3 week wait(1 week to go for mine :? ) so keep that in mind when/if'n you order

Mr. Loaf Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:12 am

Noticed that you appear to be missing a few parts. Since the Bus will never be original again does it really matter what you do with it? I am more interesed in knowing how you found that in Kansas.

SGKent Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:45 am

cut it up and sell it for scrap. Anyone so arrogant to ask whether to lower it or keep it doesn't deserve a bus. It is equal to asking whether you should rape a gal on the first date or wait until later. You ask her for her consent, not go bragging around that you have a date with Sally. That is how it is whether you like it or not. What you ask is a sign of a looser so suck it in, close the thread and go talk with the bus about what she wants.

thewalrus Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:01 am

STOCK! Something that uncommon needs to be kept stock, no questions! Plus I think the whole lowering thing is just a trend. Back in the eighties it was cutting the rear wheel arches to match the front and no one does that anymore :roll:

Let it be man!

Westfabulous Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:10 am

thewalrus wrote: STOCK! Something that uncommon needs to be kept stock, no questions! Plus I think the whole lowering thing is just a trend. Back in the eighties it was cutting the rear wheel arches to match the front and no one does that anymore :roll:

Let it be man!

Agreed. There are very few things that you can do to make your bus better than designed, and messing with ride height is beyond me; especially on an uncommon bus. It's like buying the Mona Lisa painting and adding a moustache 'cuz you like hairy women. It's just wrong.