TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front disc brake conversion Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
jeff mays Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is jeff and have been into vw's since 1987, currently I own a 67 bus and have brake troubles. To start I have replaced the master cylinder with a new one and have bought all new wheel cylinders and even then the brakes still have to be bled all the time and wheel cylinders leak ect ect.

I am tired of messing with them and want to convert the front to disc brakes and still keep the factory ride height, I can't seem to find a front disc kit for A bus, they seem to be all beetle and ghia kits

Do I just need to get the 5 x 205 king link beetle or ghia? surely there is a 400 dollar kit for the 67 bus.

Here is my bus below, if anyone knows about the disc kits I sure could use some help....
thanks
Jeff

kanniff Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Here is a great article for you:

http://vwcamper.tumblr.com/post/5804742418/saco-14-bus-disc-brake-kit-review

Here are the links to the kits:

http://www.sacoperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=60-2087
Ronnie @ bustoration sells this for cheaper than Saco does.

http://www.csp-shop.com/products/Products/Brakes/rubrik/

I have Saco's and they are great quality- I haven't used them yet, so I can't comment.

Good luck!

jeff mays Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:41 pm

these kits look fantastic, but is there a less expensive kit out there maybe from empi or some other company.
thanks

bill may Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 pm

jeff mays wrote: these kits look fantastic, but is there a less expensive kit out there maybe from empi or some other company.
thanks

nope.. read posts about empi quality. SACO brakes are worth the $775

jeff mays Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for the help, I will look into buying the saco kit, it looks like a solid kit.

Now to start getting the wife on my side...

Jeff

zuggbug Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

nice bus...any more pics??

bill may Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

jeff mays wrote: Thanks for the help, I will look into buying the saco kit, it looks like a solid kit.

Now to start getting the wife on my side...

Jeff
buy from ronnie @bustoration. $775

jeff mays Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:39 pm

the kit on bustoration states it is for bus years 55 - 62, mine is a 67 I dont mean for you guys to do my research, I will have to call bustoration in the morning...
Jeff

drumming123 Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 pm

What about the late bay disc conversion spindles from wagonswest? You could get those and use readily available late bay disc parts.

jeff mays Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:12 pm

the price of the spindles are 325.00 then I would need to source and purchase all other items, That would be great if I had a late bus for donor parts though.

Jeff

drumming123 Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 pm

jeff mays wrote: the price of the spindles are 325.00 then I would need to source and purchase all other items, That would be great if I had a late bus for donor parts though.

Jeff

Pick-n-pull or here in the classifieds. I'm going to pick up a set from a guy about an hour away, from the spindles out for $100. There's gotta be someone parting something in your area.

rodgersbadassbus64 Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm

I too was tired of the stock brakes and the maintenance associated with them. I believe you will be able to get the results you’re looking for. Do not be afraid to spend the money your life and your family is at stake. A thousand for brakes is cheap compared to a new nose for the bus. Do not exceed your mechanical abilities and risk your bus. I did it the hard way with very little money and used bay disks and rotors which I purchased for $60.00 at a swap meet. I had to use adapter plates so I could use my crow’s feet. I made my own brackets that was tough.
However there are a few vendors who supply all of the conversion parts and you just purchase Porsche rotors and calipers from the wrecking yard. Do a search you will be surprised.
I really trust Ronnie at Bustoration he hooked me up with a special master cylinder it came in three days. He talks busses not bs. Russ at old speed has the Porsche kits. And the guys in Canada have the right stuff as well. Long after the price is forgotten the quality remains. Good luck.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=806944

sventinker Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:09 pm

I would like to give an example of the affordability of a disc brake change out costs versus a newer vehicles replacement parts.

I have a newer full size 1/2 ton truck If I needed to replace the equivalent components as these kits include, rotors, calipers, caliper mounts, pads, and associated hardware. There is no way that you could even buy all that from a dealership for near the cost of these kits. They are engineered and tested to high standards and have proven performance for years in use on the street.

If you want to update your brakes do so but if your weighing out which way is most affordable the known ways mentioned here all work whether used bay parts or these snazzy new kits. If you can't afford it now then save for it. Number one rule with brakes is don't skimp on brakes. I will go with the kit from Ronnie when I can afford it as I would prefer using clean new parts to cleaning up used bay parts, just my preference. What ever you decide please post pics and progress here.

rodgersbadassbus64 Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Wow the Sacos look badass there has been some progress in the last few years. Those sacos look bomb. If you want to run stock wheels that would be the ticket if you want wide five. :)

quartermilecamel Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:12 pm

wow, shreveport, la. Lived there 2 years. Go look up action imports in bossier city, la. Used parts, new parts, service. Thats where I bought my 69 ball joint front end for the 64 bus....which led to the installation of my 73 up discs up front.

drumming123 Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:31 pm

quartermilecamel wrote: wow, shreveport, la. Lived there 2 years. Go look up action imports in bossier city, la. Used parts, new parts, service. Thats where I bought my 69 ball joint front end for the 64 bus....which led to the installation of my 73 up discs up front.

How do you like em? Did it seem to be an improvement?

quartermilecamel Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 pm

They work good. No more adjusting up front. Combined with the 73 up master cylinder and power brake booster, Im happy with them. Makes stop and go driving in town much easier. I still run the wide 5 pattern using the adapters from wolfgang. One side effect that I didnt count on was since I have wider front wheel base now...it handles better around corners. If you do go that route, be sure you know how to orient the caliper pistons. I made my own tool to rotate them.
P.s. you will have to purchase a bay front beam 1968 or 1969 only will bolt right on. The bay beam will raise the front some(inch and a half, 2 maybe).

Split Decision Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Those Saco calipers sure look purtey! If I wasn't set on trying to be somewhat of a purist I'd grab that set yesterday.

brettsvw Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Nice bus.

With a bus like yours and having 14in stock wheels, Get the brakes designed for your 14in stock wheels. Also take into consideration of keeping track width as close to stock as possible.

kanniff Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Here is a pic of the Saco's Borrowed from another thread.