TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1975 Bus convert to a swivel seat help!!! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
relaxedryan Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:11 pm

I have a 1975 bay window bus and would love to some how convert my passenger seat into a swivel seat. Is this possible? I know i have to cut out the back stops...... i just dont have a clue on the brackets or if it is even possible. ANY HELP WOULD HELP!

Mr. Unpopular Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:00 pm

It's been done. A frequent poster here (Grandpa Pete) did it to his 68 bus. I believe the swivel bracket just bolts to the floor, the main part is cutting the bulkhead away and capping it.

grandpa pete Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi. ithink i can answer that.I am unfamiliar with 75 bus configuration but will tell u what i learned putting a 74 swivel seat into a 69 walkthrough....you obviously need the round swivel mechanism,but if you can cut the top1/2 of the pedistal you will get the "platform" that will give you the finished look and the small triangle brace that helps support the doorpost. I ended up using all of the top of the pedistal and the back panel about three inches down all the way around the corner . Itook my time and fit everything before welding and it looks like it grew there;good luck with yours.pm me with a phone if u get stuck 8) look in the thread that is titled Homemade Tent Extension to see what i did

1975 Kombi Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:33 pm

You need the seats also that go with the swivel. The tracks changed at some point. Not unless you do some heavy mod.

Mr. Unpopular Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm

I believe by 75 the seat had changed, so his seats should work.

1975 Kombi Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I think they changed in 76 but here is an article. http://germansupply.com/Picture_Galleries/germansupply_customer_projects/73_Bus_Pedestals.html#9

relaxedryan Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I will put up some pictures of the brackets and seats. I forgot to mention that it is NOT a westy. I thank everyone for their help.

relaxedryan Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:50 pm

no clue how to put up pictures. I suck.

VDubTech Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:10 am

Mr. Unpopular wrote: I believe by 75 the seat had changed, so his seats should work.
Wrong, and wrong. The seats changed mid '76, his seats won't work. You were also incorrect about the swivel pedestal bolting in. The baseplate is welded to the Bus and if you don't have it, the seat won't swivel.

Mr. Unpopular Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:41 am

My bad on the seat. I thought someone said they drilled holes and bolted the swivel plate to the floor.

Dr S Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:16 am

You can bolt the swivels,

I have the swivels from BlueBird Type 2 in the UK. They are bolted to the floor using spreader plates for seat belts.

Its easy enough, I drilled the spots out of the rail lifted it out with a cold chisel, welded the rails to the swivel then bolted in the swivel.

Bulkheads on my 77bus already had the dinky triangles not the big panels so it was easy.

Nick

VDubTech Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Dr S wrote: You can bolt the swivels

Not a stock one you can't, and that's what we're talking about here. Stock swivel bases are WELDED to the pedestal of the Bus.

RatCamper Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:27 pm

VDubTech wrote: Dr S wrote: You can bolt the swivels

Not a stock one you can't, and that's what we're talking about here. Stock swivel bases are WELDED to the pedestal of the Bus.

There are stock ones? I always thought they were put in as an option by camper conversion companies. Learned something today.

Mr. Unpopular Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:23 pm

VDubTech wrote: Dr S wrote: You can bolt the swivels

Well if all we're talking about is stock, then he's up shit creek without a paddle because his bus doesn't have one stock. So since he's asking about MODIFYING a part to fit in his bus, why don't you go read your Bentley scriptures and let the grown ups talk.

VDubTech Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
Well if all we're talking about is stock, then he's up shit creek without a paddle because his bus doesn't have one stock. So since he's asking about MODIFYING a part to fit in his bus, why don't you go read your Bentley scriptures and let the grown ups talk.

Why don't you go shit in your hat and let someone that knows what they're talking about give this person some advice. So far everything you've said has been wrong. I apologize, since late Westfalia campers came STOCK with a swiveling passenger seat, I ASSumed that relatively intelligent people would understand what I meant when I said STOCK. Since you obviously aren't a member of that group, I'll try to be more specific and use smaller words so you can keep up.

notchboy Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:27 pm

VDubTech wrote: Mr. Unpopular wrote:

Why don't you go shit in your hat and let someone that knows what they're talking about give this person some advice. So far everything you've said has been wrong. I apologize, since late Westfalia campers came STOCK with a swiveling passenger seat, I ASSumed that relatively intelligent people would understand what I meant when I said STOCK. Since you obviously aren't a member of that group, I'll try to be more specific and use smaller words so you can keep up.

Wow your on your A game today big boy! Im still laughing, so I made you my first sig-quoter. :wink:

=D> =D> two claps for that.

shiningstar76 Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 pm

notchboy wrote: VDubTech wrote: Mr. Unpopular wrote:

Wow your on your A game today big boy! Im still laughing, so I made you my first sig-quoter. :wink:

=D> =D> two claps for that.
"sit and swivel" thrown in there would have been rather witty.

VDubTech Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:55 pm

notchboy wrote: I made you my first sig-quoter.

I'm honored. :D

Mr. Unpopular Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:25 pm

So just to re-cap, this guy asks about MODIFYING his bus by adding a swivel seat bracket. Two people who have actually done this MODIFICATION, say you can bolt in the bracket. I say he can bolt in the bracket, you say stock was welded and want to get into a pissing contest over it.

So to the original poster: If you are going for a 100 point concourse/Pebble Beach restoration, weld the bracket in (even though you're still MODIFYING your bus from stock). If you don't have access to a welder, do as others have done and bolt them in.

VDubTech Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Mr. Unpopular wrote: So just to re-cap, this guy asks about MODIFYING his bus by adding a swivel seat bracket. Two people who have actually done this MODIFICATION, say you can bolt in the bracket. I say he can bolt in the bracket, you say stock was welded and want to get into a pissing contest over it.

So to the original poster: If you are going for a 100 point concourse/Pebble Beach restoration, weld the bracket in (even though you're still MODIFYING your bus from stock). If you don't have access to a welder, do as others have done and bolt them in.
Dude I've had more Buses than you have teeth. The stock late Bay swivel was welded to the Bus, and with good reason. If you're willing to risk your passenger's life and an ENORMOUS lawsuit when the swivel base you bolted in rips out of the floor and sends them hurtling towards the windshield and certain death, be my guest. Not only is it welded in, it's welded solid on every spot it touches on the pedestal. The second person saying it could be bolted in was using an aftermarket kit, not the stock WESTFALIA swivel. You on the other hand who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground claim to have bolted one in as well. Please, show us pics of your handy work. It has nothing to do with the Bentley and no one except you has mentioned it in this thread. It has everything to do with doing the job RIGHT and SAFE so some poor soul unfortunate enough to be sitting next to you doesn't get thrown into traffic because you wanted to prove a point.