TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Roof Rack Question *picture*
thugbug67 Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:41 am

I bought a roof rack, i think its for a ragtop, its a little bit taller then others. Where would i be able to get the proper clamps for it? ill post pictures soon. Its all steel, no wood.

[/img]

Eric&Barb Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 am

Try your local VW meets, and the classifieds here. Plus post a WTB in the classifieds and keep your fingers crossed!

Schwing Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:41 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

scumerset Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:38 am

Those Bekowa clamps need a place to attach to on the rack itself. If you kow someone who welds they could work. I have the same rack. Here's what was on mine when I first got it...

The bolts are hooked at the top and wrap around the center bar. Had to use a flat head screw driver to remove them. Couldn't imagine the work to get a pair back on.
Made this from a few things I got a Lowe's. Lined the clamps with some adhesive rubber used for desk bottoms. The tie down piece is called a turn buckle. The only thing is I had to drill into the rack for attachments. Works great though.

thugbug67 Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks guys for your help I'll let you know how it goes

hitest Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:40 pm

That rack is identical to mine (but beautiful!)- and the clamps use a long barrel nut to tighten. Nice find! I bought an entire '63 just so it would give up the rack and the popouts for my turkis car.

thugbug67 Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:33 am

I was on craigslist, some guy had a bunch of stuff. I bought a couple things, then i saw the roof rack called him up. I asked him how much, He said name a price i said a penny. He was like something reasonable an i said 60$ an he said only if i can come get it then. Hopped in the car an was on my way. It had like three layers of paint on it that i sanded off. Plan on painting it black.

Vw.espa Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:37 am

Original clamp..from my all steal roof rack(ragtop model)I hope it helps...[/img]