TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Odds, Sods, Accessories, and Trinket Mining Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Westfabulous Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:27 pm

I just wanted to take a minute out of my day and pay a quick thanks to some friends on The Samba who have helped me out over the years. As many of you know, my bus is a low mileage original unit. It is unmolested, and my mission has been to make it 100% original and complete. In achieving this goal, I am literally down to scraping up the last bits and pieces. Today I received something that I have been wanting for some time. So a special thanks to everyone on The Samba for your help, and especially these good folks (none of whom wanted a penny for their contribution):

1) Northernbus77 (Cory). A big, big thanks for this (got it today):

2) Busterbrown (David), a big thanks for this:

3) Musktchup (Glenn), another big thanks for this. I tore my original poptop tent in 2010 while camping, and Glenn gave me a huge piece of original spare fabric to make a patch from:

And of course, who could forget Colin, SGKent, Busdaddy, Everett and all the rest......especially my neighbor Busdaddy, who has loaned me test parts and provided support during some challenging times. So, that's me not taking things for granted. I do appreciate the assistance very much.

Brionp Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 pm

=D> :bay_teal:

SGKent Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Westfabulous wrote: I just wanted to take a minute out of my busy day and pay a quick thanks to some friends on The Samba who have helped me out over the years. As many of you know, my bus is a low mileage original unit. It is unmolested, and my mission has been to make it 100% original and complete. In achieving this goal, I am literally down to scraping up the last bits and pieces. Today I received something that I have been wanting for some time. So a special thanks to everyone on The Samba for your help, and especially these good folks (none of whom wanted a penny for their contribution):

1) Northernbus77 (Cory). A big, big thanks for this (got it today):

2) Busterbrown (David), a big thanks for this:

3) Musktchup (Glenn), another big thanks for this. I tore my original poptop tent in 2010 while camping, and Glenn gave me a huge piece of original spare fabric to make a patch from:

And of course, who could forget Colin, SGKent, Busdaddy, Everett and all the rest......especially my neighbor Busdaddy, who has loaned me test parts and provided support during some challenging times. So, that's me not taking things for granted. I do appreciate the assistance very much.

You contribute quite a bit here too. You have become one of our resident FI experts now :)

John Revolver Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 am

SGKent wrote:
You contribute quite a bit here too. You have become one of our resident FI experts now :)

x2!!! I followed that thread like a HAWK in real time as I was having the exact same issues with my FI as well.(Traced mine to a bum afm)

It was pretty epic and interesting to read since we are in the same city.

secretsubmariner Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:28 am

Congrats on that white cover!! Damn your bus is lookin' sharp. I wish I lived in BC... You and busdaddy could be a superhero team!

stuming Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:55 am

Well done Westfabulous ... might be time to edit your signature!

Stu

AB westy nut Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:17 pm

stuming wrote: Well done Westfabulous ... might be time to edit your signature!

Stu

Maybe now he's looking for a spare!

Westfabulous Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:24 pm

AB westy nut wrote: stuming wrote: Well done Westfabulous ... might be time to edit your signature!

Stu

Maybe now he's looking for a spare!

Haha. Ya, you know the VW disease...2 of everything. Will change the sig line soon.

......but, I would definitely grab a spare if one showed up.

curtis4085 Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Bus looks stellar. Way to go. I sure hope some day to find such a beauty

Westfabulous Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:11 pm

curtis4085 wrote: Bus looks stellar. Way to go. I sure hope some day to find such a beauty

You've got one Curtis. Yours will be stellar when finished.

curtis4085 Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Westfabulous wrote: curtis4085 wrote: Bus looks stellar. Way to go. I sure hope some day to find such a beauty

You've got one Curtis. Yours will be stellar when finished.

it will never be as good as your low mile gem. you are one lucky dude.

Westfabulous Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Had an interesting find the other day, so I thought I would add it here. Bought a supply of "Unleaded Fuel Only" exterior decals. Impossible to find, but I latched on to a small stash. They weren't cheap at all, but I got a handful for future use:

Installed

The original 1979 brochure photo:

Mine:

Brochure blown up:

A few other goodies that I have acquired over the years:

Got this from my local dealership. The last of the last to be had ('79/ 80 only):

VWOA cruise control. Left side of column:

Clock:
[/quote]

VWOA Air Conditioner:

The rare and mysterious Westy pouch. There was another one documented on The Samba, and it was in Curtis4085's 1979 bus (same year as mine). Probably dealer installed:

The rare "Over the Fridge Cushion" :wink: :

New Sound Deadener Boards:

northernbus77 Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:02 am

Westfabulous wrote: (got it today):

Looks great Dan! Glad to see you got it. It was nice to send a part south for a change :)

curtis4085 Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:08 am

Westfabulous wrote: Had an interesting find the other day, so I thought I would add it here. Bought a supply of "Unleaded Fuel Only" exterior decals. Impossible to find, but I latched on to a small stash. They weren't cheap at all, but I got a handful for future use:

Installed

The original 1979 brochure photo:

Blown up:

Do you happen to have any extra. WOuld sure love to have an OG unleaded sticker to go on my fresh paint job.

BusterBrown Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Looks good Dan. Now... what do you get for the bus that has everything? Even the original brochure. Very nice.

Westfabulous Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:59 pm

BusterBrown wrote: Looks good Dan. Now... what do you get for the bus that has everything? Even the original brochure. Very nice.

Funny you should ask. I said to Mrs Westfabulous yesterday that I was getting worried, as I am really nearing the end of my original Westy acquisitions, and I'm afraid that I'll lose interest next. Just bought a yellow Westy bucket from another Samba friend who gave me a fair price; very decent fellow. Pictures to come when it arrives. Hope all is well with you David; you've been flying below the radar lately.

Westfabulous Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:00 pm

northernbus77 wrote: Westfabulous wrote: (got it today):

Looks great Dan! Glad to see you got it. It was nice to send a part south for a change :)

Thank-you brother. Please let me know when the item that I sent you arrives. Love the cover; I can't thank you enough for that.

Westfabulous Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:03 pm

curtis4085 wrote: Do you happen to have any extra. WOuld sure love to have an OG unleaded sticker to go on my fresh paint job.

Curtis, I am sorry, I don't. Someone beat you to the bunch and I was hesitant to give up my last one, but I did. It went to an old friend yesterday. I will see if there is any chance at all that I can dig up some more. If I do, you will absolutely be the first person I send one to. I respect the work you are doing on that bus of yours. Stay tuned.

curtis4085 Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Westfabulous wrote: curtis4085 wrote: Do you happen to have any extra. WOuld sure love to have an OG unleaded sticker to go on my fresh paint job.

Curtis, I am sorry, I don't. Someone beat you to the bunch and I was hesitant to give up my last one, but I did. It went to an old friend yesterday. I will see if there is any chance at all that I can dig up some more. If I do, you will absolutely be the first person I send one to. I respect the work you are doing on that bus of yours. Stay tuned.

No Worries. THank you for the compliment. Your bus has me in awh everytime I look at pictures.

Westfabulous Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Well, the Mailman showed up with something cool today. I owe a big thanks to my friend Ben (A B Westy Nut). I had posted an off hand comment about a year ago about Westy buckets; what crazy prices they sell for; and how much I would be willing to pay for one. It seems that Ben read my post and dropped me a line. Thanks Ben, love the bucket, and I appreciate the fair price.