TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2332 build or bust Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
mhisel Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:30 pm

After numerous years I am Finally (fingers crossed) going to bolt the case halves together for the last time.
Everything has been balanced and checked.

these holes will fit 94mm of pleasure

internals with WEB 218

Bill271 Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:43 pm

NICE!

mhisel Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:11 pm

crank and rods 40lbs ARP2000 bolts

mhisel Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 pm

I stopped here because I ran out of light.
I will start again tomorrow after work.
Slight dilemma... I have two cams W120 and Webs218.
It's a full body car (no back seats) with the occasional baja bug adventure.
I am leaning toward the web218, because of the torque curve and I don't feel I need more than 6K rpm's.

hmmm...

ErcseRacing Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm

W120 is nice, idk about the Web, im sure some other people will know, it was in a 1776. Id think the 2332 might be just a little bit too much for the 120 but thats just me

ErcseRacing Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Btw, the crank and rods look sexy!!

fivelugshortaxle Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:20 pm

I think the web 218 is more like a torque cam.....stops making power low in the rpm range but has a ton of torque ......the 120motor with 1:25 lifters would be a nice torque monster with power to about 6000 rpm from what I've been told.....

SRP1 Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Slap on the binders houston we may have a problem!!! I'm not joking.

What manufacturers main bearings are you running?

modok Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:09 pm

rather have the grooves in the middle?
yep, would be preferable

SRP1 Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 pm

modok wrote: rather have the grooves in the middle?
yep, would be preferable

Bingo there mr.modok
With the straight drilled crank, and the external oil groove, you will starve #1 & #4 rod bearings for oil.

yamaducci Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 am

SRP1 wrote: modok wrote: rather have the grooves in the middle?
yep, would be preferable

Bingo there mr.modok
With the straight drilled crank, and the external oil groove, you will starve #1 & #4 rod bearings for oil.
This is a good one... Can you eplain to the class what you mean here and the difference between bearings, crank gallley drillings and starvation?

SRP1 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:33 am

When I take a break I will sit cown and write it out, it's important to know and not a joke.

Yama your grooved 90mm crank is the reason behind this, grooving the crank is not the prefered way, but it is effective!

yamaducci Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:08 pm

SRP1 wrote: When I take a break I will sit cown and write it out, it's important to know and not a joke.

Yama your grooved 90mm crank is the reason behind this, grooving the crank is not the prefered way, but it is effective!
I also bring this up since you know my engine somewhat and I did basically sieze the #1 and had no idle oil pressure but that was on a Bergmann Build.
Mine should be much different but please explain when you have time.

catbox Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:31 pm

This is interesting to know about, I will be watching.

I cannot see the differance that you guys see though with my untrained eye.

Oldbugr Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:18 pm

SRP1--yep I do believe I need alittle education here as well. 8)

DarthWeber Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:36 pm

mhisel wrote:

See the grooves around the outside of the bearings? Those grooves should be on the ID of the bearings next to the main journals on the crank.

fivelugshortaxle Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm

What main bearings would you recommend?

neil68 Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Well, I've got to disagree on the grooved bearing comments above. I prefer the plain bearing, as the oil film is better. Check some research on engine bearings and you'll find out why. The groove should be on the back to permit oil flow to the hole and that's it, IMO.

66brm Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:56 pm

neil68 wrote: Well, I've got to disagree on the grooved bearing comments above. I prefer the plain bearing, as the oil film is better. Check some research on engine bearings and you'll find out why. The groove should be on the back to permit oil flow to the hole and that's it, IMO.

Neil, I think the main issue the guys are getting at is the combination of the straight drilled crank and the flat faced bearings, the oil flow/film can be an issue leading to bearing seize. A combination of the flat faced bearings and the crank with a "flute" cut where the oil gallery meets the main journal will work, a grooved bearing with a straight drilled crank will work, but a combination of flat faced bearing and straight drilling has potential issues

modok Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm

I'd grind the oil channels inside the bearing to be 100 degrees each