TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bus Fire - Now What? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
brandt Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Warning - graphic photos below.

About six years ago I got out of the VW bus scene when I sold my fully restored Green 1978 Westy to a couple in Ann Arbor, MI. But in the years since I’ve secretly wished that somebody in my small (pop. 250) remote town in Southern Utah would own and drive a bus of any vintage.

About a month ago a couple currently living next door showed up in town with a nice 1977 Chrome Yellow Westy. I was pretty excited. Zero rust, mostly original paint, great interior, as good as a bus gets without a full restoration.

We’ve all been pretty busy so I had not really been able to sit down and talk to them much about their new purchase. Now, I wish I would have found the time. They are near their retirement years and this is their first bus of any vintage.

A few days ago their bus caught fire a block from our volunteer fire station, they had yet to even register it or get insurance. And this bus he just drove about 5-6 hours to get here. He had a fire extinguisher within reach but it was not fully charged and did not put the fire out.

The aftermath

My questions are:

Is is rebuildable? Or worth doing so? The left rear side panel is warped from the heat and everything plastic or rubber is melted from the CV’s back.

With the heat what about the case, heads and all the rest of the block and its seals? Total rebuild I bet?

Would the heat do anything structurally to the bus?

Smoke damage to the interior. Any suggestions on how to deal with that? The seats, canvas, poptop, ect.

Any “I brought my bus back to life after a fire” threads?

I am sure there is something I am not even thinking about here. Anything else?

I should add that about three weeks ago I became owner of a 1978 Westy. I guess I couldn't stay away. I’ve yet to get it to run but close, semi-rough body with good green interior. Then two weeks ago the stars were aligned and I was gifted another 1978 Westy in better shape. So there is the potential for a donor bus here.

And forgive me if this should be in the fire sticky thread instead.

Thanks,
Brandt
1978 Westy
1978 Westy (Coming soon!)
5 other 1978-9 busses now sold

SGKent Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:45 pm

no - it is headed for the scrap yard. Sorry man.

And yes it should be in the fire sticky Quote: And forgive me if this should be in the fire sticky thread instead.

White99z Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Damn... too bad I wasn't in Utah still. I could use A LOT of the front metal on that bus for my yellow 77 westy. This is a sad story nonetheless. :(

brandt Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:52 pm

I should add those photos show the worst of it all.

Malokin Martin Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:17 am

Those tires aren't properly load rated for the bus and fiber insulation traps moisture and can cause rust over time.... :)

Just kidding.

Sorry to see that it burnt. If you have the donor it would be way easier and cheaper to swap everything over. Working with burnt metal is a no no.

Westfabulous Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:14 am

That is a sad story. What a shame. I guess the good news is that they were okay, even if the bus was a loss.

bugger101 Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:08 am

I don't see how that is a total loss looks rebuild-able to me, looks looks like it would need a new engine,wiring harness, new fiberglass top, and new interior pieces. I know it would take some time and money to fix but it looks rebuild-able, Bus's are a dieing breed due to stuff like this. people end up sending them to the junk yard which is something I don't get if you can't rebuild it sell it to someone who can ](*,)

crushie Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:11 am

That bus looks cherry compared to some of the buses I have seen people rebuild on this site.

Also, has vw never been taken to task as a result of this obvious design flaw. This is so crazy, I have never had a vehicle that I have been so worried about fuel lines as these buses.

Wildthings Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:37 am

crushie wrote: That bus looks cherry compared to some of the buses I have seen people rebuild on this site.

Also, has vw never been taken to task as a result of this obvious design flaw. This is so crazy, I have never had a vehicle that I have been so worried about fuel lines as these buses.

Has anyone ever seen a fuel tank for a later Brazilian bus? I wonder if they have been upgraded to have an intank pump and a top outlet? At least that way once the fire burnt the hoses in two the gravity fuel flow would stop.

poptop tom Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:13 am

Anything is rebuildable............and that bus could be rebuilt.

I'd say that nothing in the interior could really be reused, as the smoke smell will never go away. A complete strip down and paint job, along with all new interior would be the minimum imho.

BTW - dibs on that awning...... :lol:

All kidding aside, it's a good thing nobody was hurt.

Busdriver79 Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:33 am

SGKent wrote: no - it is headed for the scrap yard. Sorry man.

And yes it should be in the fire sticky Quote: And forgive me if this should be in the fire sticky thread instead. .......i respectfully disagree.....this bus can and should be saved.....years ago i had purchased a 65 chevy impala ss that had a fire gutted interior....everything came out and was replaced with a junkyard interior....lots of work and a few bucks, but we saved it....it was a 396/4speed car and it was back on the road in about a year...this bus doesn't look nearly as bad as that chevy did......i say give it a try.

Kirk Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:33 am

Has anyone ever actually brought back a bus after a fire like that? I've seen threads started about it, but I dont think they were ever finished. Seems like I read its hard to paint burned metal or something. Hell I dunno. I dont think I would. A minor fire, maybe, but extensive? Man. I think I'd let it go.

Busdriver79 Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:38 am

i say get busy and strip it down....everything you need to bring it back is available.....lots of cleanup....pull the engine......rewire the engine bay....new rubber parts......prime/paint.....great winter project......it is salvageable !!!

Busdriver79 Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 am

bugger101 wrote: I don't see how that is a total loss looks rebuild-able to me, looks looks like it would need a new engine,wiring harness, new fiberglass top, and new interior pieces. I know it would take some time and money to fix but it looks rebuild-able, Bus's are a dieing breed due to stuff like this. people end up sending them to the junk yard which is something I don't get if you can't rebuild it sell it to someone who can ](*,) .........the fiberglass top just looks discolored....probably ok to use again.......i totally agree.....it's rebuildable....don't scrap this bus.....fix it....i've fixed worse burned out vehicles....they turned out just fine.

barefootwestie Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 am

I know mine was brought back to life after a fire, however, I don't know how extensive the damage was. It has been repainted and I do have a section of metal about 6 to 8 inches on the back quarter that is buckled probably due to the heat.

aeromech Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:09 am

Sure, it's salvageable. The question is though how much time, effort, and money do you want to throw at it? Anyone looking for a bus would be miles ahead to find a different bus to begin their restoration project with. It's kind of like a guy who asks the question "can I install a 289 Ford cobra engine into my 1970 bus?" The answer is always sure, anything can be done given enough time, effort, and money.

Skoolieman Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:19 am

This is sad and I don't think it would be worth re building but it would be a great donor front end to help save another bus. I wish I lived closer.

Change those fuel lines!

aeromech Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:24 am

Change those fuel lines!

And also make sure your extinguisher is fully charged. Ask me how I know.

BusterBrown Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:41 am

It's a very sad day when another bus meets this fate. Condolences to your poor neighbors who suffered the loss.

Rather than scrap the poor beast, why not let it sit in the Utah desert, with the hopes that someday it will be well worth the effort for someone to go through it and do a restoration? Every year sees a reduction in numbers of the Bay Window population.

I can guess what one of the first tasks will be as you get your own '78 ready for the roads...

Yondermtn Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 am

sorry for the loss.

I'll take both front doors :shock: