TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Throaty "subaru" vanagon sound Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Inlet Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:27 pm

My van doesn't make that sound. The sound I'm talking about is that throaty subaru sound in the "green" area of the rpm gauge. A year ago I test drove a stock 88, and it had that sound. But my van an 84 with a 2.1, barely makes that sound and its only sometimes. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? and if so have any ideas? Its not an exhaust note sound, more of an intake growl.

pioneer1 Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:40 pm

why do you ask? Trying to sound like a Subaru without the expense?

timbo Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:58 pm

The only way to get that Subaru throaty sound is to install a Subaru throaty sound maker kit. :D

Ahwahnee Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Maybe try a 'fart can' exhaust tip?

I doubt any engine swap or mod is going to give you a head-turning exhaust note -- those are the province of Ferraris and Big Healeys and such.

j_dirge Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Hmm.. I thought that sound was the result of an exhaust leak. :wink:

Zeitgeist 13 Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Probably needs more rice

RicoS Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:18 pm

j_dirge wrote: Hmm.. I thought that sound was the result of an exhaust leak. :wink:

A few years ago I was standing in front of the William Penn Hotel in The Burgh smoking a fag (Damn those no smoking rooms!), when I heard this terible racket booming off the limestone canyon walls. Without looking I knew it was a Vanagon with a queefed out muffler. Sure enough, as I looked toward Sixth Avenue, a beater '84 shot through the intersection.

Richie

Goin' to Houston with a suitcase and a gun,
Goin' to Houston with a suitcase and a gun,
There's so much shit in Texas,
You're bound to step in some.

Inlet Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I'll have to post a video when I get home.. Like i said its NOT an exhaust sound. I'm just making sure nothing is amiss with my van.

presslab Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:00 pm

The intake noise depends on what kind of intake setup is on the van. My EJ22 has the KEP horn style filter box and it's designed to be quiet - and it's not bad. On the other hand a Subaru with a cone filter is gonna be pretty loud.

Maybe that other '88 van was missing the hose from the airbox to the riser tube. That would make it louder.

If you have good power I wouldn't worry that your van is TOO quiet...

Farfrumwork Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Probably needs more rice

jesus dude, give it a rest :roll: You certainly come across as an auto-xenophobe with a memory lapse related to where you are from *(yes I'm assuming you are from the good ol USA).
I guess Jaguar components are OK in your german-mobiles because they are also "Euro" huh? :agrue: ](*,) :sleeping:

What's the german version of "rice"?? Sauerkraut?

To the OP: I wonder if the 88 you rode in had some intake tract changes. The intake sound is most of what you here in a subie-conversion (most I've seen don't include the intake resonator components and are more growl-ly) . Do you run the 1.9l exhaust with your 2.1 in the '84? The 2.1l exhaust may have a different tone as well.

r39o Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

My Subaru conversion sounds like a Vanagon. I suspect it is because I have a nice new big Ernst Vanagon muffler and stock Vanagon cadillac converter.

We did play games with the intake to keep the noise muffled too.

Only thing that annoys noisily is the power steering at low rpms...sigh.....

foodeater Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:29 pm

r39o wrote: My Subaru conversion sounds like a Vanagon. I suspect it is because I have a nice new big Ernst Vanagon muffler and stock Vanagon cadillac converter.

Does the Cadillac converter make it handle like a barge, or does it make it smell like Bengay?

Zeitgeist 13 Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Farfrumwork wrote: Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Probably needs more rice

jesus dude, give it a rest :roll: You certainly come across as an auto-xenophobe with a memory lapse related to where you are from *(yes I'm assuming you are from the good ol USA).
I guess Jaguar components are OK in your german-mobiles because they are also "Euro" huh? :agrue: ](*,) :sleeping:

Needs a sense of humour

Syncroincity Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Subaru boxer grumble is almost entirely due to the unequal length exhaust setup, and particularly that of the turbo cars; on each side of the motor you have 2 ports going into 1 pipe, and then those 2 sides join into an up-pipe. However, the drivers side travels across the width of the engine, since the up-pipe is on the pass. side. By the time the impulse from the left gets to the right side, a cylinder on the right has fired and is entering the pipe as well, these combine and you get a sound more like a Harley or a radial aircraft engine, you hear only two impulses per revolution instead of 4. WBX motors do this to some extent, the boxer design sort of inherently sounds this way unless you put on an equal length header. I put equal pipes on my old Legacy Turbo, and it sounded like a Honda. :? That came back off pretty quickly.

GrindGarage Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Looking for intake sound?

Never really looked at the stock air box but most have a horn or baffle inside to make the intake quiet. Pull out any extra plastic between the air filter and where the air comes from and you will have more intake noise.

On BMW with a mass air meter like the van they have a horn right before the air door on the meter itself that can allow more of that shop vac sound you are looking for.

Funny you ask this when I wish my EJ22 had less intake noise. It makes the craziest noises when reversing.

r39o Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:36 pm

GrindGarage wrote: Looking for intake sound?
I did not and we tuned it out for the most part.

GrindGarage wrote: Funny you ask this when I wish my EJ22 had less intake noise. It makes the craziest noises when reversing.
If you use the later 2.5 setup, you don't have any real obvious obnoxious noises. We sort of replicated what Subaru does.

As stated above, except for the power steering growling, it sounds pretty much like a Vanagon; st least, to me.

Sorry for the slight OT, but I am happy and do not know what all the fuss is about! :) :)

shadetreetim Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Inlet wrote: ...that throaty subaru sound in the "green" area of the rpm gauge. A year ago I test drove a stock 88, and it had that sound.

Stock 88? Wouldn't that be a "Vee Dub sound" then? I think I know what you mean though. A sound unique to a boxer engine. It's that guttural intake/exhaust combo sound made when you come up off idle with the engine lightly loaded, medium throttle. Back in the 80s my 60 Vert with an 1835 and dual Webbers had it in spades. Loved that sound. Forgot how much I missed it until lately :D

I've heard it a few times recently in my Vanagon as I've been dialing in the tuning, leaning out the mixture from being set too rich. It's one of the indicators that I'm getting the tuning close, (the other one being overall performance). I think it's probably enhanced by my Dynamax Turbo Muffler, 1.25 Ratio Rockers and a good tune.

Stock 88 though? Hmmm. :-k And here I have an 89. Damn. Missed it by a year. 8)

FNGRUVN Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Farfrumwork wrote: Zeitgeist 13 wrote: Probably needs more rice

To the OP: I wonder if the 88 you rode in had some intake tract changes. The intake sound is most of what you here in a subie-conversion (most I've seen don't include the intake resonator components and are more growl-ly) . Do you run the 1.9l exhaust with your 2.1 in the '84? The 2.1l exhaust may have a different tone as well.

That's right, he's the dude with the Jag/Eurovan brakes. Dude!? Don't ever say another negative thing about a non-VW engine conversion. :roll:

shadetreetim Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:04 pm

r39o wrote: GrindGarage wrote: Looking for intake sound?
I did not and we tuned it out for the most part.

As stated above, except for the power steering growling, it sounds pretty much like a Vanagon; st least, to me.

I would agree with Walt. I've driven his conversion. Very quiet. Too quiet for me :D . Didn't notice any intake noise and the exhaust sounds pretty stock.

Zeitgeist 13 Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:34 pm

FNGRUVN wrote:

That's right, he's the dude with the Jag/Eurovan brakes. Dude!? Don't ever say another negative thing about a non-VW engine conversion. :roll:

wow...my Toshiba laptop and I are the focal point of some intense internets hate 2-nite. This won't be official until Ben chimes in with some drunken public and private threats. Feelin' the love fo' sho'

Me, I'm still peddling the happy kittens and roses. Prost! Kanpai!