TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiper Motor -- replace armature? Page: 1, 2  Next
Scotts 63 23 Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:25 pm

I was thinking of replacing my 6 volt armature with a 12 volt one, eliminating the voltage drop. Has anyone done this and is the speed any different in the motor? What else should be done maintenance wise the motor and mechanism while I am doing the change out?

Thanks,

Scott

dougrbutler Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:21 pm

I was thinking of doing this also. Do you have to remove the parcel tray to get at the motor? What's the routine?

Thanks,

Doug

[email protected] Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:17 am

Someone here must know the in's and out's of the wiper motor. I sure don't. I still have a voltage drop on mine. Seems to work all right if you like a hot piece of metal under your dash.

Max

[email protected] Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:10 am

All work under the dash is kinda hard on the ol' bones. Take off the parcel tray if you want to get better access to the motor and linkage. Grease up everything while you are there.

olVWnut

tasb Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:30 pm

You do not have to remove the parcel tray in order to remove the wiper motor. It can be done but is much easier with the tray out. Look back in the archives of this forum section as there was a lengthy discussion on wiper motors just last month should still be on here. Basically clean off the wiper motor brushes gently with cheese cloth and make them shiney...

[email protected] Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:21 am

Wolfsburg West has the 12 volt armatures.

RobzKombi Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Old thread I know but I went to WW and they are out, who else sells 12 volt armatures for a 65?

Braukuche Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:44 pm

dubluv wrote: Old thread I know but I went to WW and they are out, who else sells 12 volt armatures for a 65?

I checked around, no one's carrying them that I could find.
--Dan

RobzKombi Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:46 pm

I guess I will hold on to the 6V I have now and hope it doesn't burn out.

Lind Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:07 pm

dubluv wrote: I guess I will hold on to the 6V I have now and hope it doesn't burn out.
I thought that it never rains in southern california.

RobzKombi Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:18 pm

It doesn't, but the morning dew can get pretty heavy at times.

Scotts 63 23 Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lind wrote: dubluv wrote: I guess I will hold on to the 6V I have now and hope it doesn't burn out.

Rain coming on Saturday here in Southern California. They say almost 1/16 of an inch. Where did I put that Rain-X...

crofty Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:13 pm

dubluv wrote: It doesn't, but the morning dew can get pretty heavy at times.

There's no need for you to be worrying about all those people
You never see those people anyway

mintonman Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:18 pm

Scott's '63 23 wrote: is the speed any different in the motor? What else should be done maintenance wise the motor and mechanism while I am doing the change out?

Thanks,

Scott

The speed seems the same to me, maybe alittle faster, but not slower.

Scotts 63 23 Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:37 pm

mintonman wrote: Scott's '63 23 wrote: is the speed any different in the motor? What else should be done maintenance wise the motor and mechanism while I am doing the change out?

Thanks,

Scott

The speed seems the same to me, maybe alittle faster, but not slower.

Thanks. This post is a few years old and I'm sure you are answering this for others... Replaced mine in 2002. Was a little noisy at first. Took it out and 'fine tuned' it.

jerry.t Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:30 pm

Lind wrote: dubluv wrote: I guess I will hold on to the 6V I have now and hope it doesn't burn out.

but it pours, man it pours.

Jerry J Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:15 pm

I recently replaced the armature in my '60 single cab. I got it from Ronnie and was told that it was out of his personal stash. (THANK YOU Ronnie!) It's been raining like crazy up here and the new armature made a difference in the speed of my wipers. It slowed them down to a good operational speed.

As far as WW being out of stock...I emailed them and was told that they are re-tooling the armatures and to use a voltage drop in the meantime.

Da TOW'D Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:23 pm

We replaced the wiper motor guts with a rear window wiper from a '78 to '90 245 Volvo station wagon
it is still one speed though
hank

1OLD61BUS Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:36 pm

I bought the one from WW and it was real easy to install and worls like a charm, and it has been raining pretty good here lately.

Jerry J Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:19 am

1OLD61BUS wrote: I bought the one from WW and it was real easy to install and worls like a charm, and it has been raining pretty good here lately.

How long ago did you get the armature from Wolfburg West? They've been out of stock for quite some time.