TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1967 zenith blue interior options/ opinions
cory464 Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:28 pm

thinking about finally putting some carpet in my 67 and some real upholstery over my springs. i plan to use a tmi kit and was thinking about light grey vinyl with a grey tweed insert and charcoal carpet. the car is zenith blue and pretty much stock. what does anyone else have? any thoughts, opinions suggestions? photos? thanks

67 Florida Deluxe Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Depends on what you want. Keep it stock or suit your own tastes.

This is stock Zenith Blue 1967 bug interior for reference;

pb_foots Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:52 am

Here's what I did to my 67. I decided to lighten it up a bit. It's nowhere near correct, but it feels a lot less 'cave-ish' in there now.
[/img]

cory464 Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:13 pm

hmmm, tough choices, they both look good. my orginal interior was water blue. still have the back seat, but the blue carpet, blue mats and blue door panels were all trash. leaning towards an all grey interior.

Derek Cobb Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm

I installed an off white style interior in my Zenith blue 67 and really liked it. It was slightly feminine though. My wife LOVED it.

Bugugly Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 pm

I did my 67 Zenith exactly stock. I previously had a 67 Savannah Beige and chose white interior. It looked great until six months of oily exhaust and dirt got to it and looked old and grey. Keep it black and stock. Just my opinion :)

Rome Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:43 am

cory, when you pick your carpet from TMI, see if they still have the option for the edge binding. When I bought their kit for my Ghia 15 years ago, I specified the salt&pepper carpet color, with GREY CLOTH edge binding. You can see by the photos of Florida Deluxe's original car that the original carpet had a beige cloth binding. Wait- his front carpet binding is grey cloth also; it's the rear area rubber mats which have the beige binding...

That grey cloth binding would be ideal if TMI offers it. It's a bit more $ for this option but it comes so much closer to an original look.

cory464 Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Rome wrote: cory, when you pick your carpet from TMI, see if they still have the option for the edge binding. When I bought their kit for my Ghia 15 years ago, I specified the salt&pepper carpet color, with GREY CLOTH edge binding. You can see by the photos of Florida Deluxe's original car that the original carpet had a beige cloth binding. Wait- his front carpet binding is grey cloth also; it's the rear area rubber mats which have the beige binding...

That grey cloth binding would be ideal if TMI offers it. It's a bit more $ for this option but it comes so much closer to an original look.

i put that in my dads car, it does look nice.

EverettB Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Go blue.

Covers

Or original stuff from my old early '67

cory464 Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:28 am

EverettB wrote: Go blue.

Or original stuff from my old early '67

that is what car had from the factory. is the blue cloth being made anywhere? i would love to go back original . i still have the backseat, but the fronts were toast.

Joshua.b.sweeney Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 am

Is that original carpet grey or black? I can't really tell from the pictures and I am looking to do my Zenith blue interior but want to keep it black seats just not sure what color carpet. Thanks.

tham Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:29 pm

I have this upholestery water blue, bought the blue cloth in germany ;)
the original carpet is blue, plastic carpet petrol blue, seat armatures in Clematis blue.

67conv Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:55 am

The original German cloth carpet binding FADES from a darker grey to the 'beige' seen in the pics over time, especially in the rear package area

zecoch Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:31 am

hey, have you got any idea, if this seats cover are stock, vw option or custom made ? 've never seen the same elsewhere.
Thks

[img][/img]

buguy Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:21 pm

My car isnt Zenith blue....but its close. I went with white interior and blue piping, with blue carpet. I really like the seats, but im not too sure if I like the blue carpet though. Hard to see in the pics, but you get the idea. White interior down here in sunny Florida is a great way to keep things as cool as possible.

I did grey tweed in my other bug and I really really like it. Looks and feels more high end. I used salt and pepper carpet and it looks great.

Seaglen Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:20 am

buguy wrote: My car isnt Zenith blue....but its close. I went with white interior and blue piping, with blue carpet. I really like the seats, but im not too sure if I like the blue carpet though. Hard to see in the pics, but you get the idea. White interior down here in sunny Florida is a great way to keep things as cool as possible.

I did grey tweed in my other bug and I really really like it. Looks and feels more high end. I used salt and pepper carpet and it looks great.

Hey there,
Just joined, and am currently looking at swtches from TMI. I have a '69 Zenith blue bug in the UK and am looking at TMI interiors - basically EXACTLY like this one.

Can you remember which white/cream this was?
TMI offer a few from #22 (cream) to #15 (off white)

I've got the swatches in front of me and the "cream" looks far brighter than the "off white"

Do you remember what swatch number/name this was?

thanks!

67ctbug Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:19 pm

The blue fabric is available on the German eBay. That or blue vinyl is my preference. I'm also just realizing this post is almost a decade old so... :lol: