TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Which fuse for ambulance fans
Ojai63dbl Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:23 am

cant find it on wiring diagram, see that it has a fuse, but What size fuse is in the fuse holder between the ignition switch and the ambulance fans (6V)?

4, 8, 16,or 25

(or color: yellow, white, red, blue)

thanks

joe56vw Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:34 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

have you go need to look up the year of the bus

50ate Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08 am

i think i have mine wired to the one next to the ing like you said.my 59 is 12v and i hav a white fuse in there i think that is an 8 but having a brain fart right now.. i have no problems with mine and they work...well they work as in the fans move and the red light in the switch comes on,but acualy moving air thats a differnt story :roll:

EverettB Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:23 am

I tired to research it on the Ambulance stuff on the site but I don't see it mentioned.

I would think 8 amp since everything else is 8 amp for most years.

8 amp is white, of course.

Ambulance fan service install:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e4.php

Ojai63dbl Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks

(BTW now I dont feel bad - if Everett couldnt find it I had no chance)

Ill try 8 ohm (white) and see how it goes

BulliBill Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:50 am

Hi all,

I'll soon be hooking my ambulance fan rig up to the 6 terminal fuse box on my '59 DC also, so it sounds like we should use an 8 amp white fuse in the fuse holder. Anyone have a particular safe and favorite terminal to hook it up to on the fuse panel, upper or lower side?

While were at it, I'll need to locate a similar 5 amp fuse for the Sapphire II radio. Anyone know of a source for a 5 amp fuse? I'd prefer the old original style fuse for the vintage VW fuse holders, but if absolutely necessary I could get a more modern glass "Buss" 5 amp fuse and holder for the radio.

Bill

EverettB Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 am

BulliBill wrote: I'll soon be hooking my ambulance fan rig up to the 6 terminal fuse box on my '59 DC also, so it sounds like we should use an 8 amp white fuse in the fuse holder. Anyone have a particular safe and favorite terminal to hook it up to on the fuse panel, upper or lower side?

Since it has it's own fuse I would say the side of the fuse box that does NOT pass through the fuse.
Which fuse position? The same spot as the radio connection, which is the far right.

The Ambulance fan installation booklet says connect to the ignition switch power or the wiper switch:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e4.php

BulliBill wrote: While were at it, I'll need to locate a similar 5 amp fuse for the Sapphire II radio. Anyone know of a source for a 5 amp fuse?

Radio shack?

BulliBill Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks Everett,

I've been searching thru "fuses" in the classifieds and the split-Bus forum and I see no evidence of a vintage VW "pointed end" style 5 amp fuse for use in an old school fuse holder, so I may have to resort to the Buss glass style fuses and their fuse holder... Yuk...

The Sapphire II apparently uses a 5 amp fuse, the Sapphire 1 uses a 2 amp fuse.

Bill

Stocknazi Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:05 pm

BulliBill wrote: Hi all,

I'll soon be hooking my ambulance fan rig up to the 6 terminal fuse box on my '59 DC also, so it sounds like we should use an 8 amp white fuse in the fuse holder. Anyone have a particular safe and favorite terminal to hook it up to on the fuse panel, upper or lower side?

While were at it, I'll need to locate a similar 5 amp fuse for the Sapphire II radio. Anyone know of a source for a 5 amp fuse? I'd prefer the old original style fuse for the vintage VW fuse holders, but if absolutely necessary I could get a more modern glass "Buss" 5 amp fuse and holder for the radio.

Bill You could try Pelican Parts.com; Seems like I bought some 5 amp fuses several years back for my 911. Same style as og VW.

BulliBill Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Hey "StockNazi",

Thanks for the tip on the 5 amp fuses. After searching for awhile I saw your post, and talked to one of Pelican Parts reps, and they have the old style "bullet" 5 amp fuses, so I ordered a few for my Sapphire II radio. In case anyone else is looking for the 5 amp fuses, here is a link!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_se...39-001-m96

I'm told that they have 340 of 'em in stock! Thanks again for the tip!

Bill

EverettB Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 pm

BulliBill wrote: Thanks Everett,

I've been searching thru "fuses" in the classifieds and the split-Bus forum and I see no evidence of a vintage VW "pointed end" style 5 amp fuse for use in an old school fuse holder, so I may have to resort to the Buss glass style fuses and their fuse holder... Yuk...

I confused the issue by not pointing out that the Sapphire radios I have seen use those glass-type fuses.

I don't have a Sapphire II with a complete fuse holder but my Sapphire I on the shelf has a really short 2 amp fuse.
This photo I found in the gallery is the same holder:

If you have one of the black VW-style bakelite fuse holders, then yes, rock on with a VW-style bullet fuse. Thanks for the link!

BulliBill Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Yep, I suspect that most, especially mid to later 60's accessory radios all came with the plastic fuse holders with the glass Buss fuses with metal cap ends in them...

I had an older Bakelite style fuse holder on the radio power "in" line, perhaps the work of an earlier owner, and then decided to try to keep it in-line and find the 5 amp fuse in the older "bullet" style fuse. Thanks again to "StockNazi" for the tip about Pelican Parts who had the odd fuse in stock.

Bill

ToolBox Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:59 am

BulliBill wrote: Thanks Everett,

Bill

Amazon or a REAL auto parts store.

Google this... bussmann european automotive fuses