TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 78' Riviera Plan 1, Penthouse top accessories Page: 1, 2  Next
Cookiemonster78 Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Hey there,
I'm offically new to The Samba but I have been using it as a resource for the months now.
I purchased my 78' in July and am finding that I have a ton of questions, some of which I have found information on and some of which I am still struggling with.
I am finding original optional accessories pretty much impossible to find! So I've decided to try my hand at fabrication. My father is a seamster and we're both quite handy. Does any one have plan/design/pattern information for the Riviera side canopy, childs hammock, side table or even outdoor table stand? Of course if you have any of these items and would like to sell I'd consider buying them too!

adamgraves Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 pm

i looked forever for plans for the rivi tent and never found. I took mine off and used it as a template and then improved the original design with better fabric, larger beefier screen windows... really it's one big long wrap that seems at the back... although the top frame is large than the back if i remember right...

cdennisg Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

Are you looking for a Rivi awning or tent? The tent was made by White Stag, and I have one if you'd like to reference it.

Cookiemonster78 Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Quote: Are you looking for a Rivi awning or tent? The tent was made by White Stag, and I have one if you'd like to reference it.
I think I'd prefer the awning but I don't have any luck with that I may take you up on that!

Cookiemonster78 Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Adamgraves, I like you bus, nice style! I'm in Sandpoint pretty often, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for smokey! Also Thanks for your info, I have a feeling I'm going to have to wing it and come up with something close I guess it'll give me the opportunity create the quality/style I'm looking for. I like striped awnings from the older buses but like the idea of having the whole thing screened in as well. [/quote]

cdennisg Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing a "Riviera" specific awning. Is there a brochure with one pictured?

Heliconman Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:01 pm

I thought I remembered reading a long time ago that the original company that made the pop top for the riviera was still in business and the tops were still available? We were thinking of buying a riviera at one time but found a great deal on a westfalia so I stopped looking for Rivi stuff. Search here for threads on Rivieras and maybe you will find the thread.

cdennisg Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Heliconman wrote: I thought I remembered reading a long time ago that the original company that made the pop top for the riviera was still in business and the tops were still available? We were thinking of buying a riviera at one time but found a great deal on a westfalia so I stopped looking for Rivi stuff. Search here for threads on Rivieras and maybe you will find the thread.

They are still in business, and you can buy a new poptop canvas for about $400 direct from them. But the OP is talking about awnings and side tents, and other Riv accessories. At least that is what I get from reading his post.

Is this right cookiemonster?

Cookiemonster78 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Quote: But the OP is talking about awnings and side tents, and other Riv accessories. At least that is what I get from reading his post.

Yeah that is correct, I saw a brochure on the riviera that showed what they called a 'canopy'. I would prefer Riviera accessories, but if its impossible and if I cant find what I'm looking for by spring I'll go with westfalia or start making my own versions of things.

Cookiemonster78 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:55 pm

This is the link where I saw the canopy and I'm sure I remember seeing posts on here with pictures of frames but they didnt have any info and I'm not having any luck finding them tonight.

http://wetwesties.tripod.com/riviera/index1.html

Franklinstein Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Cookie,

You do know about the registry right?

http://rivieraregistry.com/index.php

Check out the brochure pages, I see an awning and tent pictured.

http://rivieraregistry.com/lit/mid-70%27s/riv-p5.jpg

Lots of cool info there...

Cookiemonster78 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Yeah, I think thats where I originally saw the brochure. I have tried to get involved with the forum but they seem to have techinical difficulties. I'll keep trying though, I would imagine its full of usefull Rivi info.

edhnb Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 am

I have the blue tent from the brochure. Let me know if you need any information from/about it.

cdennisg Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Franklinstein wrote:
http://rivieraregistry.com/lit/mid-70%27s/riv-p5.jpg

Lots of cool info there...

I have the earlier version of that tent, and a friend of mine has that version.

In that brochure is a pic of the awning. I have never seen one before, but now I want one. It says that it is concealed by the pop top when not in use. That would be perfect. I need to figure out how to make one now.

MadMax78 Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 am

cdennisg wrote: Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing a "Riviera" specific awning. Is there a brochure with one pictured?

I've seen a Rivi with canopy for sale here in The Netherlands, the canopy was attached to the body, under the poptop. So it neatly tucked away under the top with a couple of straps.

Cookiemonster78 Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:33 am

Yeah, I'd love to see one so I can attempt to replicate. I'm sure buying an original isn't an option. Anyone have any pictures?

baumer99 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Mine came with the original canopy. The material was a thin blue nylon. I don't have any photos of the original setup.

The only photo I have on here is with the "shortly" replacement fabric, ie full length, half width.

The attachment system is a common one, I call it a rope-guide style. Most awning / upholstery places should be able to help. A couple of places around here still sell the materials.

A rope is sewn into one side of the fabric, which then feeds into a track attached to the bus. Roll up the awning, secure with a couple of Velcro straps and tuck under the pop top. The velcro straps are secured under the track, so it keeps the awning snug to the track.

Originally, aluminum fold out arms are attached through an aluminum tube and that also rolled up with the fabric under the top.

I opted to replace the pole setup with two height adjustable ones, minus the attaching pole. Allows for angle adjustment for wind, rain, sun etc.

I have 3 awnings in total, this one, a 9 x 9 stand alone style dining canopy and a Norseman Apollo. This setup is fairly nice. Less material and doesn't stick out when not in use like the all aluminum Norseman and about equal to the 9 x 9 stand alone, and this one is firmly secured to the bus.

some more Riviera discussion here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431115

Cookiemonster78 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Great! Thanks for the info!

Cookiemonster78 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:56 pm

I did a lil research, sounds like the track is simply called an awning track, I found a few results with rope track as well. Seems quite simple! Thanks again!

Cookiemonster78 Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:16 am

Now that we've got the awning figured out. Does anyone have the dimensions to the side table that folds up off of the chair nearest to the slider door?