TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Finally ready enough for camping :) Page: 1, 2  Next
Käfer59 Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my joy in being able to finally go camping in my monster bus. My son and I went to Thornhill Broome south of Oxnard on highway 1 in California. The bus was perfect and I hope this inspires all you other builders out there to keep on going. I've been working on this shiny bucket for about 2 years and this made it all worth it. :D

Riqs57 Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 am

Hey, next time you go there hit me up, I live only 15 minutes away from there and I have a camper. Always looking for others to camp with.

Käfer59 Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:07 am

You got it! the more the merrier!

Riqs57 Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am

Awesome bus by the way.

50ate Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 pm

cool bus and nice spot!! 99% of the bus world hates those mirrors with a pasion but i love em.. I think they look killer on comercials and industrial type buses.. Nice work and nice bus

Käfer59 Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks 50ate!

I thought it had to have those truck mirrors after I had the mud tires and after market bumper. I stripped and clear coated the outside, and painted it Dove blue inside. Pretty inside, ugly outside. :shock:

50ate wrote: cool bus and nice spot!! 99% of the bus world hates those mirrors with a pasion but i love em.. I think they look killer on comercials and industrial type buses.. Nice work and nice bus

earlywesty Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Käfer59 wrote: Thanks 50ate!

I thought it had to have those truck mirrors after I had the mud tires and after market bumper. I stripped and clear coated the outside, and painted it Dove blue inside. Pretty inside, ugly outside. :shock:

50ate wrote: cool bus and nice spot!! 99% of the bus world hates those mirrors with a pasion but i love em.. I think they look killer on comercials and industrial type buses.. Nice work and nice bus

Nice bus! Is it lifted or what have you done to fit the BFG's? Is there a build thread on this one? I love offroad buses.

Käfer59 Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:01 pm

I didn't lift the bus. It's stock with KYB gas shocks to replace the old ones. The tires are 215/75/R15 Mud terrains. They fit great with absolutely no rubbing even with 4 guys and a full load. They are also easy to take on and off without deflating or doing anything else. It rides like a dream! I drive 60-65 all day long and it gets going easy with a 1600 single port engine. I don't have a build page because I was to lazy to take pictures. Maybe with the few I have I'll put on here. Thanks for the compliment buseric!

Käfer59 Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Here's what I have, I guess this will because my bus build page :shock:

Here's how I found it. 5 paint jobs and full of Bondo. I really did make a smart buy from the start. Live and learn!

Beautiful interior :shock: wood paneling and paint brushed walls

Nose damage but way over filled with I don't know what!

stripping the outside after already doing the front end and steering box. Every part of this bus was bad.

More burning out Bondo and sanding.

My first weld job. I cut a space in this plate to use a modern radio. If this bus was in better shape I would replace it to original stereo size

I tried using a Soda blaster only to create the biggest mess ever. I've made bigger messes though.

Another dash shot before welding.

after priming the interior. first time using a gun! Fun Fun Fun!

After painting for the first time. Dove Blue :D

More paint, more paint!

My easy way of having electrical at the camp site!

external plug.

Rattletrap insulation. I did the walls, ceiling, and cargo area. I works great and is very cheap compared to Dinomatt. Same idea though.

Here's my Rock and Roll bed purchased from Cip1. It works great now that it's together but it wasn't easy. I'm in the bed about $1000 after upholstery. It woks very nice though. It light weight compared to having a full camper kit inside. I do love a full camper kit though!!

Last but not least, The meats! 215/75/15. No rubbing, no turning problems, smooth ride!

I'll snap some more pictures of some other things as they go.
Thanks everyone for all the help over the last couple of years!

cdennisg Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Nice work. I love this bus. I have a 64 standard that is destined for a build similar to this. Rusty, no chance of saving the original paint, but too good to scrap.

G-wood Todd Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 pm

I dig it. A good looking bus thats functional and not so nice that you're so afraid to drive and enjoy.

Atlantic Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Shane - I always liked your bus! I have never seen the pics of how you got it ... wao, it came a long way. You had vision and then did it.
Great job!

&Dan Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Killer. What a great Bus.

silvertonguedevil Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm

What a cool bus!

slow36hp Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:48 pm

super nice bus i want those tires

austin haro Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Good taste, like your style, congrats.

Käfer59 Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Scott, nice 58! These tires would look great on that bus but their might be a clearance issue on the earlier buses. I'd look at the large tire/ big meat thread here. Or ask cdennisg. He knows his stuff.

slow36hp wrote: super nice bus i want those tires

61TXghia Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 pm

I run the exact same size tire on my 61. I love the stance of your bus and it looks killer. Great job man. The bus is just alot of us on this forum, rough looking on the outside, and sweet on the inside!! LOL

zuggbug Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 am

=D> =D> =D> Super job, I love the meat and stance - I like lowered busses and I like rugged looking busses - job well done.

laughingboy Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:30 am

Nice work on the bus. I'd love to see the raw exterior in person.

A couple of questions about the Cip1 bed, which I'm also considering.

How does it bolt in? Is it sturdy? Easy to pop up/down? Do you cover the frame with plywood? How does the upholstery look? What type, and how thick is the foam you used.

I'd love some more photos of the bed if you have them.

Thanks,

jw