TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dealer Accessory Cigarette lighter- wheres yours mounted? Page: 1, 2  Next
GüteAndTite Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:04 am

Show me some pictures of your dash with an original dealer accessory cigarette lighter with ivory knob- wheres yours mounted?

Aynthm Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 am

I did it myself but it looks original.

stale air Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Mine is dealer installed in what I think was a pretty popular place to be installed back in the early 60's. I have owned a few early big windows that had it in the center of the dash like whats pictured on my 61 below.

GüteAndTite Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm

stale air wrote: Mine is dealer installed in what I think was a pretty popular place to be installed back in the early 60's. I have owned a few early big windows that had it in the center of the dash like whats pictured on my 61 below.

is this one mounted higher than the wiper and headlight knobs because the wiper motor is in the way? ive seen this before and always wondered why it wasnt in line with the other switches, there must be a reason?

stale air Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Yes, it is installed a little higher than the other two switches. But, actually there is plenty of room between the wiper motor and the lighter. They put it up a little higher so that it can clear the radio.

GüteAndTite Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:31 pm

stale air wrote: Yes, it is installed a little higher than the other two switches. But, actually there is plenty of room between the wiper motor and the lighter. They put it up a little higher so that it can clear the radio.

what above the radio? a sapphire is pretty much as tall as the faceplate.

.D.J. Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Still have the receipt, dealer installed for $5.95 when purchased in 1963.

stale air Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:17 pm

GüteAndTite wrote: stale air wrote: Yes, it is installed a little higher than the other two switches. But, actually there is plenty of room between the wiper motor and the lighter. They put it up a little higher so that it can clear the radio.

My 61 didnt have a radio in it when I got it, just a mounting bracket, so I have no idea what radio came in it from the dealer. I can tell you that I took another look and at the farthest point of the backside of the lighter there is only about a half of an inch between it and the top of the radio.

GüteAndTite Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 am

stale air wrote: GüteAndTite wrote: stale air wrote: Yes, it is installed a little higher than the other two switches. But, actually there is plenty of room between the wiper motor and the lighter. They put it up a little higher so that it can clear the radio.

My 61 didnt have a radio in it when I got it, just a mounting bracket, so I have no idea what radio came in it from the dealer. I can tell you that I took another look and at the farthest point of the backside of the lighter there is only about a half of an inch between it and the top of the radio.

your car must have had a blaupunkt with power pack up top. i looked in my 58 and theres plenty of room to mount it even/level with the headlight and wiper switches. i like this spot, cant do the spot on the lower right opposite the key as i have a choke cable. curious to see what other places people have theirs

tasb Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:18 am

Original and accessory are oximorons, yes?

ladybug89 Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:29 pm

stale air wrote: Mine is dealer installed in what I think was a pretty popular place to be installed back in the early 60's. I have owned a few early big windows that had it in the center of the dash like whats pictured on my 61 below.

my dads 58 has it mounted in the same spot... yes i know the dash needs some loving :lol: 8)

the PO had alot of accessories added to this car.. a dehne gas gauge, petri horn button, perohaus clock and door pulls.. my dad is the second owner..

this lighter isnt the original one. my dad replaced it with a Wolfsburg West one, because the OG one didnt work anymore. but its in the same spot

62ItalianRagtop Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:04 am

Is it possible make an hole in the dash for cigarette lighter without damage the paint ?

Thank you

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:36 am

62ItalianRagtop wrote: Is it possible make an hole in the dash for cigarette lighter without damage the paint ?

Thank you

Yes.
Center punch spot to be drilled.
Layers of masking or equivalent tape on the paint surface.
Use highest speed on drill.
Using a small drill to make a pilot hole.
Use a step drill or start off small drills and increment up until the desired hole size.

Make sure its what you want... hard to go back to a solid unmolested dash.

62ItalianRagtop Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:41 am

Thank you

tb03830 Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:24 am

Do you smoke or are you going for power? Why the addition?

rusty60 Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:04 pm

Im looking to add one more for accessory power, where else have you seen. I didn't really want to molest the dash so to speak especially front and center

60ragtop Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Use a bracket and mount it under the dash.

shortride Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Where do you plug a 12 volt cigarette lighter into on the fuse-bar that's only going to be used as a 12 volt power receptacle?

vdubmyk Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:02 am

I have mine connected to the spade on the fuse box that is "hot" with the key in the "on" position. If I recall correctly it is the one with the black wire that goes to the coil.

shortride Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:27 am

Sorry but it just looks a little out of place to me. I guess maybe because I've never seen a cigarette lighter mounted there.