TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1974 Westy saved - MORE PICS!! UPDATED! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
adventurebus Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Hey guys, I've been on thesamba through my dads account lately, but it's time to introduce myself. My name is Zach and i'm 16 and just bought my very own 1974 westy for $500. Here's the story, me and my dad were in rockford, IL in 2005 at a car show displaying one of our other westies and some guy told us about an old yellow one sitting in a field. We went to see it, thought it was cool and wanted to buy it but it wasn't for sale. I forgot about it until a couple months ago and sure enough the ranch was for sale and so was the bus, so we bought it. Just picked it up yesterday. it was a mice apartment but thankfully they didnt do much damage. Here's how she looks-

Pic from 2005 (sat here from 1991-late 2011)

Owner moved to garage where we picked it up

In my dads shop

As you can see, I found quite a few nice surprises such as the yellow bucket, 2 stools, original ice cube trays, silver socket power adapter, super 6 fire extinguisher, a lot of original manuals, rear bug net (chewed by mice), plastic battery cover, tool kit, etc. The spare has never been used at all! All the laminate is there, but in some spots a little faded. Is this a deluxe westy because of 2 stools, fridge, etc? The color is ravenna green. anyone know the correct curtain color? The ones in here aren't original but I just bought some olive ones from hazetguy56. In some pics you can tell it's been painted about half way down, the color doesn't match that well. Also, theres much bondo on the nose too! otherwise body is fairly solid, it just doesn't look that good with the surface rust. The plaid material is one of the nicest I've ever seen! All the lights work, even the buzzer. Engine turns over but the gas is varnish. Anyway, let me know what you guys think! I know ill have more questions soon! 8)

durfeec Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Ill be the first to say it. Change those gas lines before you even try to start it.

It looks like you got a good deal for $500. Id peel off that bondo so water doesnt keep getting behind it and rotting it away and push the nose out if it needs it. blend the paint. buff it and roll it just the way it is.

adventurebus Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:41 pm

yeah, the fuel lines will definitely be changed. and thats exactly what im planning to do! 8)

Boesen Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Sweet!!!! Looks like I'll be stopping by your Dad's shop alot this winter to watch the progress on this one. I'm sure it will look as good if not better than that Champagne he restored last year. :wink: Can't wait to see that rolling around the Quad Cities later this year!!!! Nice SCORE!!!! :D

adventurebus Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Boeson, thanks! We are not going to fully restore this one, at least not at the moment. We'll do some body work and blend paint and make it drivable but that's about it! Interior doesn't need much work thankfully, unlike our current 78 project. Anyway, come up any time!! 8) :D

bugsy95 Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice looking bus with a lot of goodies!! You might have it ready in time to take to effingham ILL for the VW show in june. dave 1973 bus

Boesen Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:05 am

adventurebus wrote: Boeson, thanks! We are not going to fully restore this one, at least not at the moment. We'll do some body work and blend paint and make it drivable but that's about it! Interior doesn't need much work thankfully, unlike our current 78 project. Anyway, come up any time!! 8) :D

The 78 Project doesn't happen to be the one that was out in front of Bridgeway a few months ago was it a green one with stripes? I had gotten a text from a friend about that one a day to late, or I'd have purchsed it. :cry:
Super excited to see them both!!!!

Kirk Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:28 am

Damn nice score man! Love it!

chazz79 Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 am

That is the best westy made. Period. Highest stock passenger capacity balanced with most functional interior. Great score on all those accessories! Poop bucket and all! You have made folks jealous everywhere.

adventurebus Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 am

Boesen wrote: adventurebus wrote: Boeson, thanks! We are not going to fully restore this one, at least not at the moment. We'll do some body work and blend paint and make it drivable but that's about it! Interior doesn't need much work thankfully, unlike our current 78 project. Anyway, come up any time!! 8) :D

The 78 Project doesn't happen to be the one that was out in front of Bridgeway a few months ago was it a green one with stripes? I had gotten a text from a friend about that one a day to late, or I'd have purchsed it. :cry:
Super excited to see them both!!!!

Yup thats the one! Sorry we took it from ya! 8)

adventurebus Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:46 am

Whats the best thing to "revive" some of the laminate? It's kinda white-ish in some spots but i've heard there are products that can make that go away!

Also, is this camper the deluxe version? I don't know much about the 74-75 westy.

VDubTech Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:58 am

That spare tire isn't original and doesn't belong with that Bus. '74-'75 Westfalias had a collapsible spare tire in the sink cabinet.

adventurebus Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:08 am

VDubTech wrote: That spare tire isn't original and doesn't belong with that Bus. '74-'75 Westfalias had a collapsible spare tire in the sink cabinet.

Oh, ok thanks! I thought it was original but I don't know much about a 74. can you tell me anything else about this bus?

seventyfo Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:19 am

The yellow bucket boys will be creaming their jeans over this one.

WD40 works good bringing laminate back. About the only thing it's good for.

adventurebus Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 am

Yeah, I already put a pic of the bucket in the make notchboy jealous with the yellow bucket thread... :wink:

Does wd 40 leave a greasy feel on the laminate after use?

1975 Kombi Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 am

Ya you have $500 in the bucket/storage box, stool, side step and super 6. lol.

adventurebus Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 am

Yeah this thing payed for itself in about 5 minutes. 8) I'm fine with that!

MOX Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 am

awesome deal! 8)

notchboy Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 pm

adventurebus wrote: Yeah, I already put a pic of the bucket in the make notchboy jealous with the yellow bucket thread... :wink:

just rub it in eh :lol:

good score brother. Well talk specs when i get in front of my puter :wink:

adventurebus Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:31 pm

notchboy wrote: adventurebus wrote: Yeah, I already put a pic of the bucket in the make notchboy jealous with the yellow bucket thread... :wink:

just rub it in eh :lol:

good score brother. Well talk specs when i get in front of my puter :wink:

8) sounds good