TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Riveted stock wheels?
MiloMat Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 am

Hello,
Does anyone know in what years ordinary vw-wheels 15" 5x205 on beetles had the rims 'rivetted' on the wheels on the inside? I guess they where welded as well. I noticed this today for the first time...and now I'm curious. I couldnt find a date stamp.
Greets,
Milo

Dustin B Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 pm

I've never herd of vw wheels being riveted together. Can you post pictures of them?

Dustin

drscope Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:44 pm

I have a few riveted wheels but they are all 16".

toyvergnugen Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm

I have seen one riveted wheel (5x205) but it was not VW. Looks like a VW wheel but I think it was off some east German car (Wartburg? maybe)from the same era.
There was even a picture of what was called a prototype wheel in Volkswagen Bug; The People's Car by Ray Miller but when I contacted him about it hesaid the information in the book was incorrect.

Can you post some pictures.

drscope Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Early English Fords used the same wide 5 bolt pattern, but the offset was different and they used a different system for holding on the hub cap.

These were made as a riveted wheel in 15 inch. Many of them had square ventillation holes in them.

I have a set of Ballamay wheels for early English Ford on my Rochdale. They have round ventilation holes and they are riveted.

MiloMat Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:43 am

Unfortunatly I can't post fotos since I swapped those wheels yesterday for a set of '67 wheels. That's when I noticed...They looked absolutely identical to the other vw wheels, so I doubt they would be from another car...

KTPhil Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 am

MiloMat wrote: They looked absolutely identical to the other vw wheels, so I doubt they would be from another car...

...but they are!

drscope Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 pm

The early English Ford stuff looks very similar, but the offset is way different.

These are the Ballamay wheels on the Rochdale;

This is a crappy picture of an Early English Ford wheel;

Both are 15", both are riveted, and both have the same lug pattern as the wide 5 VW, but they are NOT VW wheels.

skabonner Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Don't forget that tatra had the same pattern as vw, and those were riveted:

djkeev Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:09 pm

drscope wrote:

Doc, you've got a go cart track in your front yard?!!?!? :lol:

I've got one but it's next door!

Dave

MiloMat Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 am

Thanx for the info. I've seen other wheels with the same bolt pattern as you say. But never saw them exactly the same as the smooth vw wheels. Same offset, same hubcap attachements etc...But it might be possible.
Grts!

drscope Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 pm

djkeev wrote:

Doc, you've got a go cart track in your front yard?!!?!? :lol:

I've got one but it's next door!

Dave

Thats at a friends place where I was keeping the car for a while because we had too many cars and not enough parking spaces.

A lot of fun times on that go kart track!

66brm Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:27 pm

For riveted bug rims search in the split beetle forums (hint hint) :wink:

MiloMat Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks alot for the hint! This is good information.
Grts!

MiloMat Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 pm

So apparently Kronnenprinz made 16" and 15" riveted wheels for the beetle. Upto 1953 or even later? I'll see if I can find more info on this.
Grts,
Milo

MiloMat Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:30 am

Well, got back in touch with the guy I swapped the wheels with. They do have a VW stamp and should be 1952 or 1953. So definitely riveted VW wheels.
Grts

drscope Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27 am

As far as I know, 52 would have still been 16 inch.

I think all the big changes came in 53.

15 inch wheels, dropped split window, new dash, new bumpers.

I'm not sure how the zwitters fit in there wheel wise, but I think they all came with 15 inch wheels. Not sure about rivets on them.

MiloMat Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 am

Well I've been searching a bit in different forums and found notes of 15" riveted vw and kpz wheels. Dated 3/52, another 6/52...I guess '53 beetles where built from somewhere halfway '52 upto somewhere halfway '53 like other modelyears.
Grts

vwtoyguy Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:46 am

I have a riveted 66-67 Beetle style wheel. It is date coded 4-67. Has anyone ever seen one like that?

61SNRF Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:14 pm

If you found the date code, maybe you can find a VW stamp too?

Notice how the bent up flange goes all the way around the center of the wheel?
On '66-'67 Beetle wheels, that flange is only right around each lug bolt hole, and are flat between them. Random pic from the Gallery...

I've only ever seen one other VW wheel made with those full circle flanges, it was on a spare tire in a friends '66. I'm thinking that one might be from an early Type III wheel, but never confirmed the theory.