TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Summit racing paint
warrior1641 Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 am

Im getting ready to paint my baja in a few weeks and shopping for paint. I like the price of summits kit $119 for a gallon of color(red) with activator and reducer. I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has used it. I have always used nason and had good succes just wondering if its simmilar or not
I havent priced nason yet but last time I bought a gallon of red it was about $250 total so I'm trying to save a buck but I dont want to waste money on junk
And yes I did do a search and didnt find anything with first hand experiance

craigman Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 pm

A buddy of mine recently sprayed his Celica with that paint. Looks pretty decent. Only time will tell if it will last.
For a baja bug, I think it would be just fine.

gfw1985 Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:40 am

For what it's worth, it's made by Kirker if you want to look for reviews on that.

warrior1641 Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Heres an update on the summit paint I ordered the red single stage kit with activator and reducer and also a quart of sealer and hardener the total including shipping and tax was $175

The paint sprayed fairly well but I did get some orange peel and some dirt in it so I had to color sand and buff it, all in all I think it came out pretty well for an amature painter I would recommend it for a budget job

pfcmooney Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 pm

That looks damn good man. Not bad at all!

1971StdBee Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 am

Looks good. I used Summit Racing paint on my V8 bug in my sig.

Does this car stay in the garage? How's the paint holding up? I just recently sold mine. The paint looked great, but some of my body work started showing through. Cheap glazing putty.

I'm considering using Summit again. I just wish they could do color code matching. I'll probably give Matrix systems a try this time around. Summit was great stuff though for the money.

It's not Kirker BTW. I talked to them on the phone and it's not the same manufacturer. They wouldn't tell me who makes it, but it's American made.

AZ65CalBug Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Looks good. Should have kept the garage floor wet with a hose. :)

1971StdBee Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 am

This is how mine came out after a little color sanding and buffing.

AlteWagen Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

They list 40 colors but I only saw 38, the candy apple red looks pretty close to L456 Ruby red so I might just try it.

vpogv Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:06 am

1971StdBee wrote: Does this car stay in the garage? How's the paint holding up? I just recently sold mine. The paint looked great, but some of my body work started showing through. Cheap glazing putty.

Did you prime over the body work?

1971StdBee Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:50 am

The body work lifted in some very small parts, where I used a non 2K glazing putty.

I primed over the body work with their 2K high build primer, to fill in pin holes, and then sealed the car with epoxy primer before painting.

The body work only started showing up when the car was left in the sun.

I was told to let the car sit in the sun, after doing body work, for 2 weeks, then do a final sanding before primer / paint. Should've done that.

vpogv Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 am

Got it, thanks for clarification.