TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: diceman55 Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
54ovsemi Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:38 pm

The 55 made it home tonight from California to her new home in Texas. She runs great, stops great and is super solid. Just some few minor tweaks and she'll be road worthy. I'm going to enjoy this one!! I'll post pics as I have a chance to inspect her.......lots more to follow.

A couple from her first night at home.

Rustforlife Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:03 am

Sweet! Welcome to the Oval Club! :D :D
What are your plans for the car? Going to make the Classic?

54ovsemi Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 am

Thx rustforlife...

Yes, Classic on the list...

Plans......drive just as she sits for now, repaint the wheels (red/light beige) maybe Fuchs?? clean her up a bit and enjoy!

The 55 is an excellent canidate for a restoration.....the only rust is a small area under the battery tray, the rest is dry. Still 6volts, semaphones need reworking and needs a new light switch. Besides these 3 issues, no other problems. I'm looking forward to getting her on the road and enjoying all 36horses.

stale air Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:30 am

54ovsemi wrote:

The 55 is an excellent canidate for a restoration.

I saw your other thread, and commented on it then also, but that is a sweet ride. X2 on restoring it, everyone is dumping cars on earlies right now.
Do it justice, restore it! :D
Your a lucky man, I would love to have that car in my garage. :wink:

ViLL Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 am

Fuch the fuchs!!! :lol:

That car is a gem dude, fix the small issues then polish it up and drive it! and I'm not a purist by any means but this is a unique, early '55 that deserves it.

Add some more pics too please...

54ovsemi Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Weather was crap today in H-town but I did manage to get some cleaning chores taken care of......the 55 is so freek'n solid!

OG 53-55 4 Tab hood
OG 53-55 Big Spring W Deck Lid
OG Ribbed Doors including inner ribbed door and window winders
OG Big Logo Sekurit Glass (except for windshield)
OG Bat Wing and Horn Button (horn works)
OG Fenders (front and rear)
OG Egg Rear Lights
OG Semaphores
OG Front and Rear Aprons perfectly straight and never hit
OG Radio and Blaupunkt dash speaker
OG Front and Rear Seats
OG Rubber Floor Matts
OG rear view and visor with optional passenger visor
OG VW stamp headlights
Still running on 6 volts....Body and Chassis numbers match, 36hp not OG but is "big nut" with 4-tip Abarth Muffler.....Trans newer as well

I could go on and on.....so STOKED!!!!!

drewgoin Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 pm

congrats Dennis!

54ovsemi Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 pm

drewgoin wrote: congrats Dennis!

Thx Drew!!!

54ovsemi Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Clean 55......

54ovsemi Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:11 pm

EverettB Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Nice!

Congrats on the new ride too

54ovsemi Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am

EverettB wrote: Nice!

Congrats on the new ride too

Thx Mr.B

Greaser Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 am

LOVE IT!!

19vw64 Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 am

Hey Dennis,

Congrats on the new ride. Looks great. Glad to see you back in the VW world.

Keith

Does this mean more picture show. :)

54ovsemi Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:01 pm

19vw64 wrote: Hey Dennis,

Congrats on the new ride. Looks great. Glad to see you back in the VW world.

Keith

Does this mean more picture show. :)

LOL..Thx Keith..:lol: :lol: YES!!!!!

Rich's 50 Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Was that for sale on the samba Dennis ?

54ovsemi Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Rich's 50 wrote: Was that for sale on the samba Dennis ?

Rich....it was on thesamba for maybe 1 hour?, I was the lucky 1st caller :D ....

The PO had it for 7yrs or so, He bought it from someone in SanFran area. The guy who sold it to him had a collection of 1950's VW's this one had to go and went to the person I bought it from.

The Odometer shows 90000+ miles that is believed to be the actual mileage. It's an early production February 1955 Euro Oval with Semaphores and "egg" tail lights. The OG motor was replaced at some point in its life, now running a December 1955 36hp motor...and it runs like a clock.

Sadly....I had to sell my 54 that I was working on, I just didn't have the time (nor the money) to complete it......then the 55 came around :shock:

more to follow........

joel55bug Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:49 pm

54ovsemi wrote: Rich's 50 wrote: Was that for sale on the samba Dennis ?
It's an early production February 1955 Euro Oval with Semaphores and "egg" tail lights...

Congrats on the nice '55! Just FYI if indeed it was a euro '55 it should have hearts on it. Eggs were a US only tail light, your car is probably a early enough '55 to be equipped with semaphores and eggs! I could be wrong however, '55 was a transition year and has numerous changes!

Great score, look forward to seeing it in person!

54ovsemi Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 pm

joel55bug wrote: 54ovsemi wrote: Rich's 50 wrote: Was that for sale on the samba Dennis ?
It's an early production February 1955 Euro Oval with Semaphores and "egg" tail lights...

Congrats on the nice '55! Just FYI if indeed it was a euro '55 it should have hearts on it. Eggs were a US only tail light, your car is probably a early enough '55 to be equipped with semaphores and eggs! I could be wrong however, '55 was a transition year and has numerous changes!

Great score, look forward to seeing it in person!

joel55bug...thanks for the information.

This caulk mark may tell a story (see pic) anyone know what it means?

BIG_HERB Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 am

See you this Saturday diceman55 your new ride looks good.