TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1972 choptop fastback BUG Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
VizionCustoms Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Thought I would show you what I have cooking in my shop. This was the first car I've owned and it's been sitting for 14 years. Finally I have the time and skill to do what I have been wanting.
Its a 1970 pan with a 1972 top, that I have chopped 4in, slated the post back 5in, dropped the top into the body, extended the hood 7in, dropped it 5in, removed the drip edge, removed the post and there is a lot more to come. To see photos and to watch the progress, go to www.facebook.com/VizionCustoms

VizionCustoms Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 pm

I posted some photo's in my gallery aswell.

Mike Fisher Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 am

Bravo for chopping/streamlining it and still keeping a decent sized windshield!

metalchomper Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 am

Looks good! Finally something different. Would love to just chop the top remove the B pillars if there was a good way to put roll-up windows in the quarters. I'm sure there is a solution, but haven't given it much thought. Are you fabricating roll up quarter windows?

tmb077 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:03 am

metalchomper wrote: Looks good! Finally something different. Would love to just chop the top remove the B pillars if there was a good way to put roll-up windows in the quarters. I'm sure there is a solution, but haven't given it much thought. Are you fabricating roll up quarter windows?

I'm sure there is a way to modify the roll-up quarter windows/regulators from a vert for something like that...

odecom5 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:56 am

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see more.

VizionCustoms Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 pm

metalchomper wrote: Looks good! Finally something different. Would love to just chop the top remove the B pillars if there was a good way to put roll-up windows in the quarters. I'm sure there is a solution, but haven't given it much thought. Are you fabricating roll up quarter windows?

Thanks to all and yes there is a way but is it worth all the truble, fabricating and finding all the right seals to keep from leaking into the car. So I am taking the old school window trick and welding in a C channel, that will go around the inside of the backwindow. Then I will have a seal with a metal wrap (like the older hard top chevy's rear windows) that will slide in placed inside of the c channel. The window will be able to be removed, by sliding it out of the C channel.
Also you might look into getting a convertible, that has roll down window or taking the windows, mounts and reto fitting it for rear windows.

VizionCustoms Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Matt K. Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 pm

I like the slope of the roof........and wow...lots of welding.

VizionCustoms Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am

Matt K. wrote: I like the slope of the roof........and wow...lots of welding. Yea I was hopin you wanted to take a turn welding.. lol I eyes are Burning!!!! jk lol There is going to be a lot more welds before she gets done.
Yea I cut the sides off. Then pulled the top back to get the look I was wanting. Then had to weld the sides Back on. But it was worth it, to get it to look the way I have been dreaming it to look. Here is a photo of the sides off and getting the right look, to the drop top.

VizionCustoms Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Photo Updates

Matt K. Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 pm

What are you doing with the front hood? are you making it longer and lower?

VizionCustoms Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Matt K. wrote: What are you doing with the front hood? are you making it longer and lower? Yep extended it 11in, to drop it down 4in and out 5in. I am going to be making custom fenders, welding them to the hood, removing the apron and making it open from the top forwards.

VizionCustoms Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Just posted some new photos
GO to my Gallary or on Facebook.com/VisionCustoms to see the start on the back window mod. Using a later 1960's rear window tin's, I am installing a 1963 rear window, that was given to me by one of my mentors. It has some rust but I will be cutting it out and then replacing it.

VizionCustoms Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:18 pm

I just got done removing the drip edge, post, fit up the corner of the door with a curve and flared out the back out 2in on both sides. Still have more to come later on.

auto doug Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:14 pm

I DIG IT ! Very creative, dress the welds down and leave it out side for a few months as you work on it, to give it that great Patina Look you got going on with the original burnt paint !!

VizionCustoms Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:44 pm

auto doug wrote: I DIG IT ! Very creative, dress the welds down and leave it out side for a few months as you work on it, to give it that great Patina Look you got going on with the original burnt paint !!
Thanks I DIG it to! As for at the Rat look, well I do like some rats, but I have a plan for this one that will bring an even more wow factor. More then just the look. :wink: But if I tell you now I might be bring out the pandora box and all the hater. lol

jaymonkey Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:32 pm

awesome!

VizionCustoms Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 pm

jaymonkey wrote: awesome! Thanks

Matt K. Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 pm

[/quote]

What would be really slick is to put some hidden hinges in the front doors to get rid of the stock door hinges and the rest of the body seam to make the sides nice and smooth.