TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: All About my Raby Suby--74 Westy to Jake Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jake Raby Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:20 am

I'd not want all of that hot water in my lap in the event of a collision, or the reduced leg room in the cockpit.. Good work, but too many caveats for me.

Stuartzickefoose Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:23 am

Jake Raby wrote: I'd not want all of that hot water in my lap in the event of a collision, or the reduced leg room in the cockpit.. Good work, but too many caveats for me.

well, if the integrated cooling system is what it sounds like.....then i would MUCH rather go with that then cut ANYthing on my bus....so get off the samba and get it made so we can buy one! :D (then get back on here and show us and post an ad) 8)

Jake Raby Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:53 am

Stuartzickefoose wrote: Jake Raby wrote: I'd not want all of that hot water in my lap in the event of a collision, or the reduced leg room in the cockpit.. Good work, but too many caveats for me.

well, if the integrated cooling system is what it sounds like.....then i would MUCH rather go with that then cut ANYthing on my bus....so get off the samba and get it made so we can buy one! :D (then get back on here and show us and post an ad) 8)

It takes way longer than that.. I have to carry out testing that won't be quick and will require a cross country expedition to complete.

One Owner Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 am

Jake Raby wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: Jake Raby wrote: I'd not want all of that hot water in my lap in the event of a collision, or the reduced leg room in the cockpit.. Good work, but too many caveats for me.

It takes way longer than that.. I have to carry out testing that won't be quick and will require a cross country expedition to complete.

If you do a cross country trip, I hope everyone knows what there in for, 20lbs of sh#t in a 10lbs bag, after what you squeezed into the Bubonic Plague I guess we can expect all that Gear plus RADAR, SONAR, DOPPLER, CAMERAS and a partridge in a pear tree...LOL !! In a bus instead of one guy shoved in the back you can take a team :)

Maybe you can do some storm chasing while your out there, you'll have the gear for it!

good luck on the new venture Jake.

Ray

Stuartzickefoose Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 am

One Owner wrote: Jake Raby wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: Jake Raby wrote: I'd not want all of that hot water in my lap in the event of a collision, or the reduced leg room in the cockpit.. Good work, but too many caveats for me.

If you do a cross country trip, I hope everyone knows what there in for, 20lbs of sh#t in a 10lbs bag, after what you squeezed into the Bubonic Plague I guess we can expect all that Gear plus RADAR, SONAR, DOPPLER, CAMERAS and a partridge in a pear tree...LOL !! In a bus instead of one guy shoved in the back you can take a team :)

Maybe you can do some storm chasing while your out there, you'll have the gear for it!

Ray

just curious, if you perfect your design, will you sell it as a kit separately?

Jake Raby Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 am

One Owner wrote: Jake Raby wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: Jake Raby wrote: I'd not want all of that hot water in my lap in the event of a collision, or the reduced leg room in the cockpit.. Good work, but too many caveats for me.

Ray

You mean like this from my 2006 Cross Country R&D trip???

The gear I have today is a lot more condensed, it doesn't have as many external drivers and etc and has it's own realtime DASH interface for the data that is being sampled.

As for kits, well that comes way later... We have to experience many hardships before we can learn enough to produce easy to fit, user friendly kit of components and that means doing turnkey jobs and building cars for ourselves.

I have had my fill of "kits" these days because everyone expects things to be easy and about 10% of the purchasers have the mechanical aptitude to actually carry out the job. My goal is to create a ton of reference material and sell individual components, or turnkey products so we don't have 10,000 questions per month about the same topic. Kits only work for generic components in generic applications, none of which are being covered within this thread.

BTW_ I have resurrected the original Bluebonic Plague and am working hard to finish The Bluebonic Plague II right now, with a JR28 Suby N/A engine.

Here is the old Plague after fresh paint.

One Owner Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:56 am

Looks good Jake, I forgot about the "load bearing" shelves haha

Ray

Stuartzickefoose Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:39 pm

LOVE the floor foot rest gauges...haha

airkooledchris Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Jake Raby wrote:

#5 approves of this collection of data for input

68 Bay Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:00 pm

iam interested to see where the place the radiator, to me the front
seems the best but not many people would like to hack there vents which i understand, but i would rather go that route then underneath the frame with a scoop, and heard many problems people running there rads inside the engine bay.

Jake Raby Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm

This cooling system will include a couple of things that most people don't utilize. The good thing is we'll be done with this project in mid-summer when its 95 degree in the shade here, so its an awesome time to test cooling systems.

TRN9 Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 am

Hey Jake, this question was missed a few pages back. I am interested in this as well.

Lionhart94010 wrote: Jake, will you be looking at the EE20, Boxer Diesel, currently it has 147 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, if it catches on(= availability in US) will it be something you may consider using (& redesign) for T2 or will Gasoline powered Suby’s always be preferable?

airkooledchris Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 am

TRN9 wrote: Hey Jake, this question was missed a few pages back. I am interested in this as well.

Lionhart94010 wrote: Jake, will you be looking at the EE20, Boxer Diesel, currently it has 147 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, if it catches on(= availability in US) will it be something you may consider using (& redesign) for T2 or will Gasoline powered Suby’s always be preferable?

The Vanagon guys are always one step ahead on these conversions....

It's purdy, that's for sure.

Stuartzickefoose Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 am

ya, but all you vanagons already have water and such installed....so now show me a subi motor in a pre 83.....:P

Jake Raby Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Look what arrived today.. All the way from Australia!
Now we just need to finish steam cleaning under the bus and getting some detail work done, then mock the engine and tranny up.. Then fabricate the mounts and get on to the cooling portion. One step at a time and we aren't in any rush.. No clocks here, you can't have fun when rushing.

Krautski Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Stuartzickefoose wrote: ya, but all you vanagons already have water and such installed....so now show me a subi motor in a pre 83.....:P

Would an aircooled '80 with a 4.3L meet the criteria?

Stuartzickefoose Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:56 pm

Krautski wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: ya, but all you vanagons already have water and such installed....so now show me a subi motor in a pre 83.....:P

yes....pics? haha

Jake Raby Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 am

Krautski wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: ya, but all you vanagons already have water and such installed....so now show me a subi motor in a pre 83.....:P

I have no intentions to work with anything post '83 at the present time.. The -83 demand is more than we can even keep up with.

TRN9 Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Those transmissions are beautiful! Jake Is it possible to take a suby tranny and modify the front end of the bus to make it AWD? Of course, if time and money didn't mater- we need to still have fun right?

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this bus!

RatCamper Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 pm

TRN9 wrote: Those transmissions are beautiful! Jake Is it possible to take a suby tranny and modify the front end of the bus to make it AWD? Of course, if time and money didn't mater- we need to still have fun right?

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this bus!

We talked a bit about that with Subarugears. I believe the consensus was if you could actually get power to the front wheels, then yes, with the requisite directional swap on the front too. It'd be a bit of a mess otherwise.