TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Keep Mike Gamblin in your thoughts. Page: 1, 2  Next
BretAZ Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Mike was in a really bad accident last Thursday here in Phoenix. He is still in the hospital recovering and has a long road in front of him. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts.

AirCooledArtifacts Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know Mike, but anyone in the VW community is family. Do you know if he's recovering alright? What happened?

pdivizzle0112 Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 pm

just said a small prayer for him. may god be with him and his family during this hard time

BretAZ Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:07 am

Apparently someone stopped really fast in front of him .

To tell you what kind of guy Mike is, I got a call from him but he didn't leave a message. When I called him back, I could tell something was wrong. He proceeded to tell me that he had an accident in the Beetle. He told me about the damage and how he intended to go about repairing her. After about 10 minutes, I asked if he was OK or if he had any injuries. Only then did he tell me that he had fractured both ankles, his tibia, broken 7 ribs, fractured his nose and both eye sockets., and was in the hospital.

Mike is really into VWs and his car means the world to him. His intention is to buy it back from the insurance company and fix her. From what you guys can see, is this possible?

decobugma07 Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:25 am

So sorry to hear that. Here is an idea, if he has a PayPal account we (as a community) send some little help. There is a saying in my country " grain by grain you'll fill the chocken's belly" (translated from Spanish).

A year or so ago I was in a very bad shape financially in Xmas time. This community came thru for me so I can keep my bug. I thanks all of you individually. It is time for me to return the favor.

Hang in there Mike. :(

79SuperVert Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:19 am

I like the Pay Pal idea.

vdubnut58 Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:40 am

BretAZ wrote:
Mike is really into VWs and his car means the world to him. His intention is to buy it back from the insurance company and fix her. From what you guys can see, is this possible?

Not sure if it can be saved. Looks like the dash is twisted in the car. It would probably need a front clip from the dash forward and the floor pan is probably bent as well. Might be best to find another car and move over his parts.

Bugugly Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:45 am

Prayers his way. I've always had that concern of an accident. It scares me. I love my 67 Bug.

I'm all for the pay-pal donation. Lets get his Beetle back on the road!

Erik G Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:50 am

When I was about 18-19 I did this to my pristine '66. I scrapped it, it just wasnt worth it to fix it, and it would never be the same. It took me a while to get back into a bug again too... I switched to type 3's :)

If the dash is that bad like mine, I'm sure the pan head is bent, the beam etc.

Speedy recovery Mike!

estolze Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 am

so sorry to see this :shock: ,in my thoughts and hope for speedy recovery

silvertonguedevil Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 am

That sucks! I hope he recovers quickly. It sounds like his spirits are good though. Too bad about the bug. It looks pretty much done for.

drs1023 Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:35 am

From the picture of the driver's door fitment, it looks fatal to me. The passenger door to A-Pillar is also badly warped. 'Course, anything is possible with enough time and money, but this one looks to be flatlined - at least it's outside my wheelhouse to repair.

I don't know how to set up a pay pal account for donations. Anyone? BretAZ, can you check with him when he feels up to it again? Count me in. Mike needs patching up first, then the car, and this community of VW lovers has a lot to offer anyone in need.

BretAZ Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 am

I will see him today. I am going to take him some dinner tonite. He is at the VA hospital in Phoenix and will be there for at least another week. He started therapy yesterday and was told that he is doing well.

He had to have pins and plates placed into his ankles, so he is getting some new wheels (wheelchair) today. We were talking yesterday about how we were going to customize it!

I will show him this thread. The hosp doesn't have any wifi but he does have internet on his phone. Thank you for all the well wishes.

Oh yeah, I gotta share this as I had never seen this before. He has this garage door looking contraption over his bed that picks him up and sets him in his wheelchair. This was his first ride.

AirCooledArtifacts Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:31 am

Guys,

Let me know about the PayPal thing. Also, some may know that I run a '67 restoration site. 1967beetle.com. I'd be happy to feature an article about this and get the word out about donations. The site has a decent reach.

Please let me know.

AirCooledArtifacts Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 am

BretAZ wrote: I will see him today. I am going to take him some dinner tonite. He is at the VA hospital in Phoenix and will be there for at least another week. He started therapy yesterday and was told that he is doing well.

He had to have pins and plates placed into his ankles, so he is getting some new wheels (wheelchair) today. We were talking yesterday about how we were going to customize it!

I will show him this thread. The hosp doesn't have any wifi but he does have internet on his phone. Thank you for all the well wishes.

Oh yeah, I gotta share this as I had never seen this before. He has this garage door looking contraption over his bed that picks him up and sets him in his wheelchair. This was his first ride.

Wow. You are in my prayers Mike.

lchang003 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 am

Sending my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. My bug is my daily driver and this has always been in the back of my mind. Glad someone was watching over you Mike!

HotRod06 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 am

God speed on Mike's recovery. I had a similar accident back in 09. Prayer sent

KStier Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:50 am

That thingy is called a hoyer lift...very common in rehab hospitals...

Feel better Mike.

AirCooledArtifacts Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:50 am

Guys,

Here's some information on the donation button from payPal.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_donate-intro-outside
I believe if we know Mike's email address we can donate funds directly to him.

Please let me know if I can help in any other way. If someone knows it, I can post an article on my site ASAP.

lchang003 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:52 am

Just a note about paypal.

If you send money as a gift to a persons address the person receiving the "gift" will not have to pay fees.