TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Both alternator and OXS light coming on - any ideas why?
Bent Wheel Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Hey All - long time reader, first-time poster :D.

My 85 Cabriolet has just recently started doing this - both the alternator AND the OXS lights come on after a few minutes of driving. The car starts fine, pulls away fine; after about 5 minutes both the lights start to flicker in unison, then light constantly. Sometimes they go off at low rpm (say, idling at a red light), but rev the engine & they're back on.

Upon starting the car the volt meter shows 13+ volts and is well into the green. As soon as the lights flicker on, the needle's into the mixed area. Within a few minutes, the lights are on solid and the needle is practically pegged to the left in the red.

Drop the engine revs below 2500, the lights go out and the volt meter's back into the green.

All connections, including the blue charging wire, are tight and clean with no breaks or crimps in the wires/cables.

Any suggestions what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

73sports Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Bad Voltage Regulator?

Bent Wheel Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 am

That was it - ordered regulator arrived today, popped in, and troubles over; fully charging and no lights. Bushings on old VR barely poked out of the housing. My only complaint is that I replaced the thing only 70,000 miles ago :D