TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sliding side windows for a Frankenbay
RalphyWubbleyou Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Hello all,

Longtime reader, second time poster here... I know your all busy here so I will keep it as short as possible.

Any info on sliding side windows for the cabin and side doors?

I have a mish/mash Brazilian Kombi. Front half Baywindow and back half Splitwindow. I know this maybe heresy... it's an oddball... but it has grown on me (soft bugger that I am) and I am restoring it into a great practical machine that it deserves to be.

So... Sliding windows (for my dogs to put their heads out). Anyone make them still? (the link at the bottom has just the thing I am talking about)

The top photo shows "Split-Loaf" converted windows i know... But the cargo doors have identical windows to the Splitwindow doors.

http://www.hammerand.de/vw/pics/kombi05.jpg

durfeec Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:36 pm

i have the same style bus. just a 14 window. i also have a couple sliding bay window windows laying around. idk if shipping would be worth it. i had a corner window shipped from brazil over the summer and it made it fine.

Wayland Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Keep an eye on the classifieds. I found a set of those sliding windows for sale here on thesamba. Apparently the seller had ordered them from Brasil.

cru62 Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:05 pm

If these are the ones you are talking about (sorry, best pic I had) they are from Brazil-

They let in a LOT more air than regular popouts.

RalphyWubbleyou Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks guys... those are exactly the windows I was looking for. I intend to put the fixed windows in that came with it while I eye the classifieds... Timing is everything.

For the moment I will continue scraping underseal off the bottom in preparation for mediablasting. Will it ever end???

@durfeec, Thanks I may well look into your offer...

Unclebon Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:33 pm

I too want a couple of these windows

Supposedly Laurent at Vintage Bus Imports can get this window. After some searching he said that the cheapest he could find a complete window was $150-$170. More than i want to pay.

www.vintagebusimport.com
[email protected]

lightice Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:26 am

RalphyWubbleyou wrote: Hello all,

Longtime reader, second time poster here... I know your all busy here so I will keep it as short as possible.

Any info on sliding side windows for the cabin and side doors?

I have a mish/mash Brazilian Kombi. Front half Baywindow and back half Splitwindow. I know this maybe heresy... it's an oddball... but it has grown on me (soft bugger that I am) and I am restoring it into a great practical machine that it deserves to be.

So... Sliding windows (for my dogs to put their heads out). Anyone make them still? (the link at the bottom has just the thing I am talking about)

The top photo shows "Split-Loaf" converted windows i know... But the cargo doors have identical windows to the Splitwindow doors.

http://www.hammerand.de/vw/pics/kombi05.jpg

In Malaysia there are quite a number of these running around, both in panels and windows.

Generally they are detested by body shops here due to its perceived lower quality steel. They do tend to rot quite a bit more than the bay windows here.

I too am looking at Laurent's slider replacement, but just 1 picture is difficult.

Also, he mentioned to me that they are not sided? So I am unsure if the glass and latch can be removed and reconfigured to fit either side without wind forcing water through the center pillar.

cru62 Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:53 am

They are definitely sided. They are constructed in such a way that dismantling them to switch the orientation is nearly impossible. I bought mine from a guy in Sao Paulo as an NOS pair in ~2002 for $100. The seller said that they are very common in Brazil. There are several guys in the Split Forum who are building Buses in Brazil. They would be my first point of contact.

lightice Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:12 am

Laurent, the seller mentioned that the glass and handles can be removed and reconfigured, so to speak. To be either left or right sided.

How well it'll work? We won't know till we actually see it, but I did ask him to take some pictures for it being left and right sided.

Cru, how are the seals holding up on your pair?

cru62 Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:35 am

I don't know how the seals are doing since the bus went to France in 2010. They were absolutely fine with no issues at all during fitment or use in the time I had the bus.

I saw your ad and wanted to let you know that I had the same windows as shown in the first pic. The other pics in your ad show a different style of window. If these are the ones to which Laurent is referring when he said they are easy to switch I would tend to believe him. I do know that the ones in my bus would have required spliting the seam on the frame and completely dismantling the entire window in order to flip it. I'm glad my windows came in a matched set. I wouldn't want to do the work required otherwise.

lightice Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:22 am

The ones laurent has seem to be like the ones that used to be on your bus.
He hasn't responded on whether they are 'sided' as I've asked him to provide pictures.

vintagebusimport Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am

Hi guys,

I have not seen your questions cause it does not appear anywhere. I thought that i would receive notifications on my email or something.

- So, the windows and frames are SIDED and they come in pairs. Nevertheless, i can sell either LEFT or RIGHT :D

- We do have either aluminium and in black ( See pictures) at: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=vintagebusimport

- Each frame is now $99 each

RalphyWubbleyou Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:21 am

Thank you all for your help... I made a decision to go for pop out windows. At the time i did not see your replies... I've finished the old girl on the outside but am still working on the inside...

Peter_N Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 am

That's a lovely bus!
Do you have a picture of the other side showing the cargo doors?

RalphyWubbleyou Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 am

Thank you...

Manfred58sc Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:30 am

Very nice bus, not seeing a slider on the RT side really scrambled my noodle for a second.