TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: CB Magnaspark Page: 1, 2  Next
nobuggybob Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Any one using CB performance Magnaspark? If so what do think of it,your motor size and what spring combo did you end up using?

Hotrodvw Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Have you checked out the Digital version??? I'm running it, and I'm diggin' it. Springs? Pffft. :lol:

krusher Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:10 am

Hotrodvw wrote: Have you checked out the Digital version??? I'm running it, and I'm diggin' it. Springs? Pffft. :lol:

CB have also brought this out now http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1884

Hotrodvw Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:11 am

Now if that and the digital were combined, that would be reeeal nice.

Eaallred Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 am

Hotrodvw wrote: Now if that and the digital were combined, that would be reeeal nice.

I think i've heard Pat say they are working on a standalone crank trigger kit? Not positive.

I love crankfire with a full map. I'm running a fully interpolating 16x31 ignition map on my car, the amount of control that offers you is insane! Couple it with a knock sensor, and you can really start dialing in your ignition map. I try to go about 2-3 degrees below knock. Awesome gas mileage, and crisp power. Knock sensors work well on our cars at low rpms, but high rpms, my gauge goes off no matter what sensitivity I have it set at. Dyno tune to set ignition for WOT anyway.

ALB Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:55 am

Eaallred wrote: Hotrodvw wrote: Now if that and the digital were combined, that would be reeeal nice.

I think i've heard Pat say they are working on a standalone crank trigger kit? Not positive.

I love crankfire with a full map. I'm running a fully interpolating 16x31 ignition map on my car, the amount of control that offers you is insane! Couple it with a knock sensor, and you can really start dialing in your ignition map. I try to go about 2-3 degrees below knock. Awesome gas mileage, and crisp power. Knock sensors work well on our cars at low rpms, but high rpms, my gauge goes off no matter what sensitivity I have it set at. Dyno tune to set ignition for WOT anyway.

Can you tell me more about your knock sensor? Thanks in advance! Al

Dale M. Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 am

Eaallred wrote: Hotrodvw wrote: Now if that and the digital were combined, that would be reeeal nice.

Found this on CB-P site......

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1884

Think the crank trigger kit (2093) would be awesome with Megasquirt ECU...

Dale

krusher Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:08 am

Hotrodvw wrote: Now if that and the digital were combined, that would be reeeal nice.

Why would you want to combine the two, you would end up with two of everything?

What parts would you want from both?

Hotrodvw Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 am

Just to get rid of the drive slop...but keep the map and tunability.

fuguboy Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:51 pm

nobuggybob wrote: Any one using CB performance Magnaspark? If so what do think of it,your motor size and what spring combo did you end up using?
Nobody using simple mechanical Magnaspark ? :roll:

yeoldeluke Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:00 pm

I have one, I would have to look at which springs are in it, I like it a lot. Have not had any problems with it at all.

Eaallred Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Hotrodvw wrote: Just to get rid of the drive slop...but keep the map and tunability.

Crank trigger with a VR sensor like Ford EDIS, or CB's setup has a reported accuracy of within 5/32 of one degree. That's unreal.

If you have full dwell control, you can maintain the same spark strength through your entire rpm and supply voltage as well. Not sure if CB system does, but my MegaSquirt lets me change dwell according to battery voltage. There is a formula you use to set dwell that includes voltage in the equation. I used it to map my entire dwell system. at 11 volts, or 9000rpm at 15 volts, my spark strength is exactly the same. Boo-yeah!

But then again, when is the amount of control avaliable, "too much"? lol

Dale M. Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Quote: Just to get rid of the drive slop...but keep the map and tunability.

Once you go solid state ignition you will never want to use a distributor again....

Dale

Hotrodvw Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Mine is solid state..............just not crank triggered.

krusher Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Hotrodvw wrote: Just to get rid of the drive slop...but keep the map and tunability.

The new crankfire from CB has map.

Hotrodvw Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 am

Nice!

disneymike Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, getting back to the OP's original inquiry....
I too am interested in the Magnaspark II. How easy is it to dial in? Is it comparable to Pertronics billet distributor?

sullydog93 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:57 pm

I have the budget magnaspark version on my 2275.

It works about as good as any mechanical advance
dist that I have ever owned.

I also have a keeper of a 009. It is an older brazilian
and @ 900 rpm it is 8*, at 3200 rpm I get a full 30*.
Most of the other pieces I had were 10/30.

Magna spark is set at 9/29 and it works fine.

A real upgrade would be a crank trigger.

krusher Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:01 pm

disneymike wrote: Well, getting back to the OP's original inquiry....
I too am interested in the Magnaspark II. How easy is it to dial in? Is it comparable to Pertronics billet distributor?

It will come out of the box with typical advance curve to suit most engines and will run fine if you follow the install instructions.

If you want to "dial it in"perfectly your going to need some track or dyno time. This could be also said of any distributor.

nobuggybob Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 am

Wow No one has run one of them yet, and played around with the curve?