TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: God help me, I'm a newbie. (How to jump my battery in '87)
magpiemama Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Ok, yea, I know.

So I have been putting off purchasing a manual for my newly purchased '87 Vanagon--I've been having too much fun driving it.

Today when I went to jump into my vehicular and drive away, when I realized that it was in need of a jump. :(

So how exactly does one GET to the battery compartment which is uh, under the driver's seat?

Any tricks?

Spanks a million.

0to60in6min Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:59 pm

you know how to adjust the seat - moving it forward and backward right?

pull the lever on right of the seat, the one that moves the seat - not the one for adjusting the back - move the seat all the way forward - open the trap door for the battery under the seat.

do you know how to fill the windshield washer bottle?

how to check the brake fluid level?

the Bentley or Haynes manual are your friend...

:D

r39o Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Welcome to the herd!

The starting battery is under the right seat..

Slide it forward.

Lift up the hinged cover.

Viola!

The other side, left, usually has the auxiliary / house battery, if one is fitted.

Enjoy!

Bubusse Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Unless your van came from UK or SA or such places, the proper battery to jump start shouldn't be under the driver's seat but under the passenger's, that is the right hand side. Get the seat forward, open, and go ahead...
Mind you, mine is manual and so is my other car, and I live in a hilly place, so if a battery is too tired for some reason (never happened to the westy, but it sometimes happens to the suzuki in the middle of our freezing quebec winters), I just let it roll downhill and if it's really the battery, it has no choice but to start...
Congratulations on your new purchase, make sure to buy a manual (I actually like the Haynes, easier for me to follow), make sure the basics are taken care of (that would be fuel lines and brakes, IMHO) and enjoy the ride !
Oh, and post pictures ;-)

DAIZEE Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:57 pm

I haven't been able to find a Haynes for the Vanagon. I have the Haynes for the Jetta TD AAZ tho. I like pics but I like to read too.

Welcome and you'll need more than God, a good wallet and sometimes flying by the seat of your pants AND at least one good Premium road side assistance and getting your hands dirty :wink:

Leavin to Live Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Don't let the other guys fool ya. Almost every first time buyer of a westy/vanagon had this issue. There's a number of things to get used to when getting your first van. For example, I dare you to find the transaxle!! :lol: :wink: :wink:

Bubusse Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:59 pm

@DAIZEE : Got my Haynes from Busdepot along with other orders. Way cheaper than the Bentley, too...

DAIZEE Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:04 pm

OK thanks, will check it out.

Magpie: people so busy getting you under the correct seat that forgetting the common order of business: Change your fuel lines with top quality.

Bubusse Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Hint : fuel lines start from the fuel tank and end up all around the engine... :lol:

0to60in6min Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:11 pm

are we having pulling legs from a newbie?

:D

welcome... we are here to help...

and yes.. changing the fuel lines is a top most priority...

DAIZEE Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:16 pm

me thinks bubusse has a good sense of humor. :lol:

Bubusse Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 pm

yep, obviously, I was joking ! Indeed, welcome here, it's a lot of fun, and more information than one can digest...
The bad thing about battery, though, is not finding it to jump start it, it's when you actually have to take it out of there for the first time...

DAIZEE Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:24 pm

removing the battery is a pita. I've put big strong nylon ties on each side to help me lift it out. Then just stuff them down the sides. Also if you don't have a battery post table then put a piece of rubber or something so the metal lid doesn't settle on the live side.

magpiemama Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Ok thanks so much. :)

Pullin' legs huh???

Was just thinking this morning how I probably needed to go ahead and get a manual before I needed one :)

Nice timing.

:)

joel72 Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 pm

its under the passenger seat move the seat all the way forward lift the cover theres your battery booyah

morymob Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:24 am

Next challenge= find where to add fluid to front w-shield washers. As for pulling batt i use an' ancient' strap with flat metal ends that slip down over posts.

Volksaholic Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 am

joel72 wrote: its under the passenger seat move the seat all the way forward lift the cover theres your battery booyah
Passenger vs. Driver seat is relative: magpiemamama lists her/his location as Oz, which I presume is Australia, which implies RHD. So... move the Right seat, or Driver's seat, forward, open the magic door, and replace the battery if it needs frequent jumping! Actually, check and clean the cable to post connections, make sure the plates are submerged in electrolyte (top up with distilled water), and check to see if it's got a date code on it. The battery may be fine and just need maintenance, it could be old and not trustworthy, or you could be like me and forget to turn the parking lights off.

Happy motoring!
Paul

DAIZEE Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:49 am

lol re washer fluid. I looked everywhere, even crawled underneath, then I had a brain moment and I remembered that in the "old" days the bright head lite switch was up & over under the left foot and by golly there was the opening. I know bright lite and washer fluid don't have a connection except for location :lol: