TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 62 Rag top winter makeover Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
DerekR Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:54 am

I thought I would share my winter project, I'm pretty proud of how it turned out :D
It started with an oil leak last october. I pulled the engine to take care of the oil leak and decided, since the engine is out, I will put the new transmission I had waiting in the garage. The orig trans was popping out of 2nd gear. When it was out, I decided to paint the engine/trans bay. That required removing the rear interior to weld up some holes from the P/O. Well next thing I know it looked like this....

It is an original Anthracite grey(L469) car. I love that color with the True Red interior so on with the restore.
She had been hit in the front so I needed to repair the front qtr panels and replaced the front apron and spare tire tray. It came out nicely.

Continued shortly.....

The P/O had cut the dash and that hack needed to be fixed. I purchased a repair panel for the radio hole. It looked ok but was much thinner metal, so I found an orig dash and welded the radio section in.

The car spent most of its time in New Mexico and was a relatively solid car but did need new rear bumper mounting brackets and had 50 years of dings and dents that needed attention.

DerekR Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:41 am

I masked up my garage and turned it into a paint booth. Painted late at night so I wouldn't get any complaints from the neighbors. It was a chore to keep the garage heated, ventilated and floor wet down to hold down the dust when the temp was in the 20's. But it turned out nice.

New transmission, a rebuild 73 Ghia trans converted to long swing axles and upgraded to Type 3 rear drum brakes.

Interior went back in. TMI seat covers and horse hair pads, TMI headliner, new floor mats. Orig door panels but the backing on the door panels were warped so I cut new panels and installed the covering. They turned out great!

Headliner took a week or so but turned out nice.
First time out of the garage for a test drive. :D :D :D

Need to do some final adjustments, shifter brakes etc but it feels so good to be driving her again. This weekend the rain is suposed to stop so I will try and get some glamor shots for all to enjoy. I just thought i would share some of my love :wink: :wink:

79SuperVert Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am

Wow!!!

THINGONER Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:49 am

Looks Great! Good job.

Erik G Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 am

Nice garage resto, I love it! Built not Bought!

jzjames Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 am

good workmanship.

stale air Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:59 am

Erik G wrote: Nice garage resto, I love it! Built not Bought!

X2, good stuff! 8)

Buscowboy Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am

fantastic work for a home resto. Very well done, get some more pics up of all your hard graft.

Johnny

obi-nu Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 am

Wow, really nice. I would love to have the time and know how to do that with my 63 anthacite ragtop... great stuff well done.

slik Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:08 pm

wow. beautiful!

Keith Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Johnnylongtime wrote: fantastic work for a home resto. Very well done, get some more pics up of all your hard graft.

Johnny

Fantastic work regardless of where it was done! Damn !!! I have a '62 ragtop I'm doing, original black with red interior which Ive always wanted but thinking about anthracite with true red or some original vw blue with navy instead

curtisvitoria Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Hey just wanted to know what size tires you used on the long axle set up?
I also would like to know why you went with long axles as compared to short. I currently have long axles in my 1960 & considering changing back to short. After looking at your set up I am thinking I may just keep the long.

Your tires fit nice in the pics!

Thanks

JerryMCarter1 Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:17 pm

You be da MAN ! ! ! !

flyboat Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Very Nice. Looks like you got a lot accomplished over the winter. No cabin fever for you.

carcass Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Beautiful !!

DerekR Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:46 pm

curtisvitoria wrote: Hey just wanted to know what size tires you used on the long axle set up?
I also would like to know why you went with long axles as compared to short. I currently have long axles in my 1960 & considering changing back to short. After looking at your set up I am thinking I may just keep the long.

Your tires fit nice in the pics!

Thanks
The rear tires are 165r15 stock size tires. I went with the long axles to give me a wider stance. VW went with the long axles in 67 to help eliminate the wheel tuck issue. Add a camber compensator and the issue goes away. Personally I love the smoothies and wanted to fill the wheel well with tire but keep a close to stock tire. If you are going to use any aftermarket wheels with different offset or disk brakes then the short axles are for you

silvertonguedevil Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:10 am

Is that an oil leak I see?

8) :lol:

Just kidding. Car looks awesome!!

mykidsbug Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:32 am

Nice makeover!

mouser98 Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:50 am

awesome skilz, oldguy. beautiful car, i love that anthracite grey.

curtisvitoria Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:36 am

Do you know what the stock 165 15 would work out to in a regular tire? What is the aspect ratio of the wall? Thanks