TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how do I put a pyramid trans in a bug pan?
joemama Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:42 am

Need information as to what I need to put a pyramid trans in a fiberglass buggy with a 1967 pan. I want to keep the shifter in the tunnel and use the stock vw shifter. I also have some 3 x 3 arms that I would like to use, but dont know if there is room, The buggy is a very close clone of a Manx, with the battery tray and spare tire well just like the Manx. I do have a 2" body lift I installed. The motor is a type 1.

shred625 Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 am

OK I gotta ask... what is a pyramid trans? I think you are talking about a bus box and there is a 10 degree kit you can put in that will keep the shifter in the tunnel.

63single Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Joe,

It will cost you quite a few dollars to do the conversion correctly. You would need to buy a intermediate housing to convert the bus box to a sedan nose cone, then buy or build some mounts... this of course is after you make your pan IRS.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1177198

hope that helps you..

joemama Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Pyramid is also called a 5 rib? Anyhow. How does the 10 degree mount work? Any links to the procedure

darkflaw Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Basically the 10 degree kit lowers the shift rod into the tunnel so you can use the standard shift linkage without having to move it to the top of the tunnel, also moves the motor up slightly for better ground clearance.

Fred1214 Tue May 01, 2012 9:06 pm

If you want to drop into the valley, I can show you an example.