TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door water management
paul_fio Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 pm

So I was leak testing my car and I found that water is leaking through the door window seal where it drips down and lands on the heater channel sill. I don't have any door panels in at this point. What do people do to keep this water inside the door so it can run out the drain holes? Seal it with plastic? That seems reasonable to me, but I wanted to get more suggestions as to what's tried and true.

Thanks.

sharkskinman Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 pm

i think there Should be a drain hole... maybe
But yes seal between the door card with some plastic
and I(bad window seals) driled and primered drain holes in the Front and Rear of the door
as well as the back of the pans
(just have bad seals.. but this is Vegas..who cares

NzFasty Mon May 14, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm having the same problem... Was going to replace the seals eventually but am going to need a temporary fix. When you drilled the drainage holes, did you put anything else in them (rubber, etc) or just frill and prime them?

Woreign Tue May 15, 2012 1:42 am

There are drain holes in the bottom corners of the doors. They are actually more like slits than holes, very easy to get clogged up. You should be able to take the end of a coat hanger and clean them out.

Bobnotch Tue May 15, 2012 6:38 am

Yup, I use 3mil thick trash bags to replace the torn or missing plastic sheeting VW originally used. I use spray glue to attch it with.

paul_fio Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 am

That sounds good. Thanks.

KTPhil Tue May 15, 2012 10:33 am

For driest interiors and maximum door card life, some use two sheets, partially overlapping.

The first sheet goes from the window sill down to the bottom, and tucks INSIDE the bottom door frame. This directs water INTO the door, not the interior of the car or to the bottom edge of the door card, which will be ruined by water. Make sure your door drains are open.

The second sheet starts about a third of the way up, and goes down and OUTSIDE the bottom door frame, just under the door card. This is a second layer of protection for your door card.

Keep in mind the bottom window seal is NOT watertight, and water WILL enter your door. The plastic sheets and drains ensure it does no harm.

paul_fio Tue May 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Yes, I was envisioning tucking the first layer inside the door at the bottom to funnel the water out, but I really like the extra sheet giving added protection for the panels in case there's splashing and whatnot. It's amazing how driven rain can work its way up hill. Thanks so much for the suggestions! :D

jaransonT3 Tue May 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Here is a link to my tech page on the door drains.

http://home.comcast.net/~jaransonT3/jaransonT3/DoorDrainPage.html

Hope it helps.

drummerboycr Tue May 15, 2012 8:53 pm

jaransonT3 wrote: Here is a link to my tech page on the door drains.

http://home.comcast.net/~jaransonT3/jaransonT3/DoorDrainPage.html

Hope it helps.

Very interesting Facts in your Site! :wink:

OGSquare Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:20 pm

I know this thread is ancient but, my door cards were ruined because the drain holes were plugged. In my case the water level raised to the level of the bottom door clips. The water actually ruined the door card by entering through the door card clips. The clip seals had deteriorated to the point that the clips were exposed to the inner door. To be completely anal, I would run a separate piece of plastic along the length of the bottom of the inner door covering all the bottom door card clip seals.