TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dash knobs - how to remove
Allyn132 Mon May 21, 2012 6:30 am

Just finished removing my dash pad but cannot figure out how to remove the vent knobs, wiper knob... basically all of them. I had to cut through the dash pad material to remove it, but the knobs are still there - don't want to destroy them, just remove them - any help?
Thanks... Allyn

Q-Dog Mon May 21, 2012 6:42 am

Allyn132 wrote: Just finished removing my dash pad but cannot figure out how to remove the vent knobs, wiper knob... basically all of them. I had to cut through the dash pad material to remove it, but the knobs are still there - don't want to destroy them, just remove them - any help?
Thanks... Allyn

You didn't HAVE to cut the pad to remove it ... you CHOSE to cut the pad to remove it. Most of the knobs unscrew. The air vent knobs pull off.

jwold Mon May 21, 2012 9:33 am

You need an escutcheon tool to actually remove the switch from the dash, a quick search will find you more info. The knobs just screw off. No need to hack up the dashboard pad, though replacements are available.

Allyn132 Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 am

I deserved the "you idiot" reply. However the dash was literally crumbling so I had already ordered the replacement from Wolfsburg.

OK - screw off or pull off + the "E" tool... thanks!

JerryMCarter1 Mon May 21, 2012 11:18 am

I think some of them screw off counter clockwise --

Joel Mon May 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Yep, wipers, headlight and hazard unscrew ccw and the 2 vent knobs just pull straight off.

If the headlight switch is old and worn it may just spin and spin so disconnect the battery pull the knob right out so you can stop the spindle turning with needle nose pliers.

You don't need the tool to remove the switch collars though, it helps but needle nose pliers in the 2 slots has never failed me yet.

jwold Mon May 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I think circlip pliers will do the trick as well. Those suckers can get stuck pretty good though.

oda5000 Mon May 21, 2012 4:09 pm

just use small needle nose pliers to get the metal rings off, no need to buy a tool unless you plan on doing it multiple times.