TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Look at this generator brush pic Page: 1, 2  Next
scottyellow67 Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:55 am

Just re installed engine.(all stock 1600DP) All new WW harness. Rebuilt the DVDA dist with new points, condessor, rotor and cap. Car starts right up!! Victory!
Im in the process of setting the timing and fine tuning the freeshly rebuilt 34 pict 3 carb.
Engine is idleing high but Im confident Ill smooth that out with final timing and carb adjustments.

My red light is staying on, and I noticed that I have a wild wire at the generator brush area..

Should that little sucker be connected to something?
Could this be the reason or my red light? Or will that be corrected upon proper timing and carb adjust?
Appreciate your input.

wayne1230cars Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Looks like the generator brush wire. Perhaps this photo may help. Your generator has 2 brushes. They are secured by small screws that can be somewhat fiddly to change - especially the lower brush. Not having the brush secured would cause a red light problem.

scottyellow67 Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Okay! That makes sense. Where can I find some additional pics etc of the brushes? I cant find any in Bentleys or in Muirs book?

drscope Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:50 pm

The brush itself is just a block of carbon.

Usually the brush wire sort of comes out of a hole on the side of the brush. The other end of the brush wire has an eyelet soldered or crimped on and that eyelet is what the screw goes through to secure the wire to the genny.

If that wire came out of it's hole on the brush, you may be able to just go in there with a small hook tool and lift the brush spring up, then stick that wire between the spring and the brush.

If you can do that, the light should go out and then you know you simply need a new brush.

If it came off of the crimp eyelet on the other end, it can get soldered back on. Remove the brush by using the hook tool to pull the spring up until it is out of the way and then lift the brush up out of the hole. Then you can get to things to solder it better.

I'm not sure what they use to secure the wire to the brush. It's some sort of epoxy that will also conduct electricity.

wayne1230cars Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 pm

That is a good explanation drscope. Here is another pic and a link that may help.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113903515a
They are inexpensive to purchase. Notice how far the brush sits above the holder. These pics show brushes with minimal wear.

glutamodo Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 pm

here, another photo, in-focus, well lit and 12V. :wink:

Also, since no one else has said it yet, that generator is installed wrong, it needs to be spun 90 degrees to the right. This aligns the cooling duct in the shroud so that the generator gets proper airflow through it.

-Andy

scottyellow67 Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks Doc! Ill dig into that right away.

Also, since no one else has said it yet, that generator is installed wrong, it needs to be spun 90 degrees to the right. This aligns the cooling duct in the shroud so that the generator gets proper airflow through it.

-Andy[/quote]

Ok, So I need to rotate the genny to the right 90 degrees? This will put the wire connections that are now on the top around and over to the right?

glutamodo Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Yep. This shows the early 12V style push-on terminals from 1967-68, but otherwise it's the same. You want the terminals to the top right.

wayne1230cars Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes rotate to the right. Your 2 main wiring connections on the generator should be at the 1 & 2 o'clock position. The generator brush setup that is visible in your photo is actually the bottom brush and will become that when you rotate 90 degrees clockwise. As glutamodo points out, it helps with airflow and it is important to get this right on the 12 volt systems.

scottyellow67 Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:52 pm

just to be clear, the pic that i show was taken from the extreme right. If you were looking at the genny from behind the car, the brushes are located at about 2 oclock....maybe my pic was mis leading??

glutamodo Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:14 pm

No, your photo at the very beginning of this, wasn't misleading. However, I just took a closer look at it though, and lightened it up and enlarged... is there even a brush in there??

You want those terminals next to the oil fill cap.

wayne1230cars Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:20 pm

When I mentioned the 1 & 2 o'clock position, I meant where your red wire(in this pic yellow) is connected. This picture is of a 12 volt generator that may help you.

scottyellow67 Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks, I'll get it rotated.

scottyellow67 Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I looked again, and your right! The brush is missing. I'll have to get it ordered. I'm bummed about having to dismantle and rotate the genny. It was actually like that from the PO. I simply re installed it the way it was. I guess we should all not not to trust the PO. looks like I'll need to remove the carb and a bunch of other stuff too just to get to all the little bolts!! Anyone know any secrets on making that a less painful job??

downlow68 Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Just loosen the strap and turn it. :lol:

glutamodo Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:35 pm

No.. it's more than just the strap! You have to raise the fan shroud high enough to be able to get at the two lower M6 bolts... and yes that does mean some work. You have to take the carb off, loosen the strap and disengage it from the generator stand, removing the two screws on the sides of the fan shroud, if you have a thermostat you'll need to unscrew it from the operating rod. If you have a doghouse style oil cooler and are using the extra shroud bolt at the "Hoover Bit" you'll need to remove that too, as well as get the throttle cable tube disengaged from the tin at the firewall. Then the shroud can be lifted and the generator unbolted and spun around.

I have to wonder how that brush got ripped out of there. Was someone messing with your engine?

-Andy

scottyellow67 Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I bought the car about 1.5 years ago. The genny is now what it was when got it. I just ordered new brushes from jbugs.
I'm bummed about having to raise the shroud!!! The deflectors under there are a bitch to keep lined up.
How much harm could be done if I don't rotate the genny???

glutamodo Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:27 pm

This is not uncommon to see them installed wrong. That's why I was surprised no one mentioned it before I did. Have I ever heard of someone who killed their generator by not having it in correctly? Not that I can recall, not directly. However, I'm of the mind that VW designed it the way they did for a reason and it's best to keep it as intact and correct as possible.

drscope Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 pm

I think I would get the new brush installed before turning the genny. It just looks like it would be a lot easier to get to now.

Also, you could then see if the light goes out.

If not you might want to think about dropping the engine out and fixing all that stuff at once without having to fight it in the hole.

Michael Fischer Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 am

They make these things called end wrenches and they can get the two lower bolts on the backing plate. :wink: