TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New to Buses... expectations? Page: 1, 2  Next
DerrickfromNC1 Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Wife and I are looking at possibly purchasing our 1st split bus in the near future and want to make sure our expectations in terms of drivability/usage are not to high. We have owned a 57 speedster replica, 70 ghia, and currently own a 67 beetle with a 2332, porsche brakes, and 5speed tranny that will be on the road later this year. We also had a 68 bay that we sold after 6 months because it needed more $$$ than we wanted to put in a bay in terms of worn suspension components, rust, and a lot of bodywork.

Wife wants a semi custom 11, 13, or 15 window walkthru that's basically stock from the outside but lowered the right way with adj narrowed beam, flipped spindles, offset spring plates. Front disc brakes are also on the wish list, 17" BRMs, type 1 or type 3 tranny possible irs conversion and a mild 1776 engine....basically the things I've learned from reading the samba split bus forum. We plan to have MonkeyNuts in Charlotte, NC do the things I can't.

Our expectations:
Drive it to local car shows and evening cruizes.
Long distance trips to VW shows will be done in a caravan with other VWs.
Stay in the right lane not to exceed 65mph.
Avoid rush hour traffic with modern iron.

Thanks
Anything else I should know or do? Expectation to high/low?

G-wood Todd Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:13 pm

I'd say you are being realistic. Don't expect an overly comfortable ride with it being lowered and base the reliability on the previous rides you mentioned. I drive my bus every day and does what I need it to with reliability and style. Expect it to perform and handle like a 50 year old vehicle should and you'll do fine.

DerrickfromNC1 Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:04 am

Thanks G-Wood, we've got our eyes on a couple prospects. One already with some of the mods we want to do the other w/o. Both on the road with various pieces missing and some areas needing metal replacement. Nothing difficult.

Thanks

LAGrunthaner Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:26 am

Don't forget to check out the good deals thread if those mentioned fall through.

Major Woody Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:36 am

I think those expectations are entirely realistic.
Go with the factory Boge oil shocks rather than gas shocks; that will help the ride.
Make the sure brake system is completely up to snuff and that you get every bit of extra play out of the steering. Upgrade to baywindow dual circuit MC.

You're lowering so you will get new tie rod ends and your king/links will be tight but make sure your drag link is tight and do the steering box adjustment. If you still have greater play than the factory manual says, get a rebuilt steering box. Steering on a vehicle conceived in 1950 using designs dating back into the 1930s is bad enough; no point in making it worse by living with worn components.

Make sure to run LT tires.

scottvw Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 am

My recommendation is to buy the most complete bus you can. It will save you $$$ down the road.

I used the CB 2" beam, and the Old Speed dropped plates for the rear. The Old Speed parts bolt to your existing spring plates which helps keep the stock ride in the rear.

Good luck.

Scott

lowbus Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Get a second job, possibly raid your children's college fund.
They went from being the most undesirable vw to gold on wheels.

The advice to find the most complete bus is good advice.

baggedvdub1 Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:34 pm

hey man ive got a 66 13 window deluxe , lowered with adjustable beam , type three trans ,extended spring plates , brand new tires on some repop sprints , 1500cc sp motor , has some rust but all and all good driver all lights work and turn signal , i might be willing to sale if price is right ...

i love driving it , deff. fun to drive and it turns heads and people take pics every where i go , i was looking for pretty much the same as you when i started now i have two and building another

baggedvdub1 Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:37 pm

oh and im in n.c also ....

DerrickfromNC1 Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:48 am

Wife & I picked up a 67 13 window deluxe about 3 wks ago in fairly good shape. Good running 1600dp, trans shifts good, and all new brakes. It has the usual floor rust, some already repaired, and is still in need of some rocker and dogleg work. Perfect roof, gutters, and front bumper.
Originally a Ga. bus w/o a title so were looking at about 6wks before we will have NC tags hopefully. In the meantime, we have purchased all new popouts, and safari windows. We will be scouring the swap meet areas at the upcoming shows to purchase those usual missing interior items as well as the donor parts to convert the rear to the BusBoys irs setup.
Look for pixs soon!

Thanks,
Derrick & Yvonne

flemcadiddlehopper Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:09 am

"Wife wants a semi custom 11, 13, or 15 window walkthru that's basically stock from the outside but lowered the right way with adj narrowed beam, flipped spindles, offset spring plates. Front disc brakes are also on the wish list, 17" BRMs, type 1 or type 3 tranny possible irs conversion and a mild 1776 engine....basically the things I've learned from reading the samba split bus forum. We plan to have MonkeyNuts in Charlotte, NC do the things I can't."

You are a very lucky man...she's a keeper.

Gordo.

ccb_dan Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 am

^^Agree, that's a cool wife man.

Congrats on the '67.

DerrickfromNC1 Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Heading to the BugOut in Manassa, Va this weekend to start gathering some parts for the wife's 67 deluxe. The wife prefers the look of new chrome as opposed to well worn OEM items so some of the items we will looking for are a new set of elephant ear mirrors, headlight assemblies, and a front VW emblem to name a few.
Regarding the headlights, am I correct in that the pre-66 type 1 and type 2 headlight assemblies are the same?

Busryder Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 pm

No.

Look for the orientation of the drain hole at the bottom of the ring... also the positioning of the 'bulb/headlight' is also different. The T1 and the T2 are 90* from each other.

Search the Gallery...

Busryder Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Bus headlight ring drain hole at 6:00 position on a ring that has the attachment tang at 9:00 and 3:00 positions.

DerrickfromNC1 Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Finally got the wife's 67 13 window off the jackstands last week. Womack 4" beam & flipped spindles on front. Westwagons irs kit with Wolfgang axles in the rear. Still sorting out some issues that I hope you'll have some suggestions.

* I now have late type1 drums on the rear with adapters from Wolfgang. The shoes and the drums looked good so I just replaced the wheels cylinders. After adjusting/bleeding multiple times braking power is not as good as before.....are the larger bus rear drum brakes that much better?
* I'm having idle issues with the 1600. It has a German 34 pict/3 combined with a 009. I have no history on this engine other than what I can see. The carb is very clean from the outside leaving me to believe its a recent rebuild. I've gone thru the carb adjusting procedure and now it's idling with having the idle jet on the side backed out a full turn......tighten it and no idle. I cant find any vacuum leaks.
I'm thinking I need a good SVDA dizzy which electronic pickup or possibly some 40idf Decade carbs jetted down that I can reuse on our next engine(1800-2000cc).
* Its got the 1/3, 2/3 front seats and the Wolfsburg seatbelts I purchased are too short for the 2/3 side using the mounting points I can see. Is there a longer seatbelt or do I have them mounted incorrectly?

Thanks,
Derrick & Yvonne

BarryL Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Try to find the "pilot jet" on your carb. take it out and clean the tiny orifice.

Call Wolfsburg West and explain the belts. Sounds like they sent you the wrong ones.

bro2539 Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:20 pm

post pics or you really don't have one :)

DerrickfromNC1 Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:24 am

bro2539 wrote: post pics or you really don't have one :)

Working on that!

Wife and I took her on our 1st trip around town today. Ran great until we got a few miles from home when I started feeling a drag. Pulled over into a lot put the back of my hand on the drums and noticed the left front was hotter than the others. Backed off a little on the adjusting star got back in it and noticed the brake pedal slightly depress about an 1" slightly engaging the brakes as I was driving.
Also it appears we have a little too much play in the steering even through everything up front is practically brand new except the steering box.

Anyone get gas fumes working there way back in the cab when all the vent windows a open?

EverettB Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:48 am

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
noticed the brake pedal slightly depress about an 1" slightly engaging the brakes as I was driving

The brake pedal is depressed a little normally?
This should not be possible.
Is your brake pedal spring broken or missing?
There should always be a tiny bit of free play.

DerrickfromNC1 wrote: Anyone get gas fumes working there way back in the cab when all the vent windows a open?

Absolutely not, you should be concerned there is a leak and check that out immediately.