TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New reproduction of the 356 Voltage Regulator
mpribanic Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:41 am

Has anyone bought one of the new reproduction 356 voltage regulators. They are made in both 6V & 12V. I believe they are priced around $150.

I am curious also if the cover from an original voltage regulator can be swapped to the new reproductions?

Barry Brisco Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Mark,

Who is selling those new regulators?

Thanks for the heads up.

mpribanic Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:12 am

Barry Brisco wrote: Hi Mark,

Who is selling those new regulators?

Thanks for the heads up.

356 Devotion. I get emails from them occasionally. Not sure who they are though.

tallman206 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am

That looks like a replacement for an early Delco Remy voltage regulator, very similar to a Bosch, but not the same. I don't believe the covers will interchange. The Bosch cover has symmetrical cover screw placement, the one in the picture and the Delco Remys have one screw offset from the centerline.

I would be very doubtful about being an early adopter until you fully understand the current limiting capabilities of the unit. Our small-frame Bosch generators are very fragile and the wrong regulator can push the limits and overheat/damage the generator (sling the solder off of the commutator). I would want someone like Joe Leoni to bless these units before I considered putting one on my cars - 6V or 12V.

mpribanic Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:25 am

tallman206 wrote: I would want someone like Joe Leoni to bless these units before I considered putting one on my cars - 6V or 12V.

That is good advice. Wonder if he's seen them yet.

MoPor Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 pm

It would be interesting to know if it will work. I've got one of those alternators with the regulator (VW 12v??) mounted on it and would like to return to the original design if I can do that without replacing the generator.

ensys Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Gentlemen:

I can contribute this:

I have been running the 12v Delco on a small dia. gen. for about a year now and I have had no problems to date.

You can't swap covers tho, but if you, like me, are using it on a non-Concours car, it looks close enough for government work.

Slap a sticker on it and most would not notice