TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Westy High Top Install - Photo Documentary Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Hodakaguy Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:24 pm

My friend Mike (Purplepeopleeater) decided to convert his pop top Westy over to a High Top for ease of camping and added storage space. I'll be taking pictures of the process and posting them up as progress is made.

First a shot of Mike's Westy with the pop top in place.

Mike purchased a North American High Top through Northamericanhightops.com, so with a trailer in tow we set off to pick it up from StreamLineAudio in Vancouver WA. With a Subaru H6 installed in his van the trip to Vancouver was quick. :D

Arriving at StreamLineAudio.

And now we get to see what this baby looks like!

Uh Oh....What did I get myself into! LOL.

Carrying the top to the trailer.

After a bit of thinking we came up with this support to keep the sides from flapping around to much. The top is sitting upside down in the 4x8 trailer on a piece of rug. Once strapped in place it was very secure.

Once loaded we chat a bit about the best way to install the top, what products to use, how to trim to fit etc.

Ready to roll for home....maybe we should stop off somewhere on the way home and see if it would make a good boat :D

The top made it home in one piece...now it's time to start having fun. The pop top is unbolted and ready to remove.

Top removed and on the grass...next remove the luggage rack.

You think Mike is excited to see the top sitting on the van?

We lift the high top on and stand back to check it out....going to look great!

Marking the high spots so they can be removed. Some minor trimming is needed to get a good fit.

Top propped up so the high spots can be trimmed.

Trimming the top.

Checking the fit and progress....little bit at a time.

More Trimming

Inside...Going to be Roomy!

Well its getting late so time to call it a night. Getting pretty close, some slight trimming on the right side needed still. More progress tomorrow.

I'll post up progress as it happens.

Hodakaguy

climberjohn Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:38 am

This is a great thread, please keep the photos coming.

-CJ

MidwestDrifter Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:52 am

8) Awesome. Definitely bookmarked, I am interested to see what you guys do for finishing the interior.

jamesc76 Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 am

I have the same hight top on my van best thing I ever did! Funny to see a mould thats from the UK used in the states!

purplepeopleeater Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks for posting up Tom (and help) it will be nice having another shutter bug to help document the process.

Tryin to not rush things too quick here, this is about 80% head scratching and 20% work.

Glue, Seam sealer, Insulation all should be here on the 26th.

I thought about using FRP for the top to line it, but I think the weight will be too much over time for the glue, I will be using a vinyl product over the prodex insulation in either cream color or a sand/mocha color to match the interior.

Here are some links for products I used...

The top,
http://canadianhightops.ca/

The insulation,
http://www.insulation4less.com/

I ordered 4ft x 100ft Its buy one get one free so couldn't pass up the deal...I should only need about 100sqft

The glue used for the top can be bought online here....
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/

Evercoat 813

The U-Pol Tiger Seal Urethane Adhesive & Sealant

GBA 88West LA Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am

8) looking forward to following this thanks

DAIZEE Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 am

I've been suggesting a documentary of step by step. Good for you. This will not only help people, it will help 'market' the idea for those who aren't sure. Here would be a thumbs up if we had one 8)

J Charlton Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:38 pm

There is a yahoo forum with step by step processes laid out for the install. It is intended for and restricted to folks who have either purchased tops or are seriously considering it. The entire process has been well documented and laid out. This thread documents the process being followed by Mike as he installs his top. We are in constant communication.

DAIZEE Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:35 pm

For people who have just an ingling about the possibility/feasibility of going hightop will then appreciate this thread as it has no restrictions in the very early thought process Restrictions eliminate potential.

JeffRobenolt Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:33 pm

For me it is not if but when! I defiantly will be getting one.

Do you think it will be easier the finish the top off the van and sitting upside down?

I might need to paint mine and think it maybe to tall on the van to do that also.

Thanks for this post, much easier than a yahoo site.

photogdave Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

What are you doing with the old top and tent?

purplepeopleeater Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

jrobewesty wrote: For me it is not if but when! I defiantly will be getting one.

Do you think it will be easier the finish the top off the van and sitting upside down?

I might need to paint mine and think it maybe to tall on the van to do that also.

Thanks for this post, much easier than a yahoo site.

Yes this site is much easier and I'll be doing the bulk of the inside work with the top off, going to paint it tomorrow.

Insulation and liner will be done top off too, can you imagine working with a large chunk of material like headined and trying to negotiate it inside with the top in place? Eeek

purplepeopleeater Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm

photogdave wrote: What are you doing with the old top and tent? Sold the top ahead of time, going to be installing it sometime next week.

JeffRobenolt Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 pm

With a white van I figured you would just leave the top the way it is. OR does it need paint to seal it or something like that???

Thanks Jeff

purplepeopleeater Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:10 pm

The top is fine as it is but it's more brilliant white and my van is more pastel colored, I want more finished looki... I'm planning on doing some graphics On the top.

joetiger Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 am

purplepeopleeater wrote: I'm planning on doing some graphics On the top.

Like in Cheech & Chongs Next Movie?

photogdave Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:21 am

Maybe we should all post suggestions for the "finish" of Mike's top and the most popular vote gets the honors. :lol:

purplepeopleeater Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:30 am

I was thinking more along the lines of a black line down the side, not some acid induced painting, :)

Hodakaguy Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:29 pm

purplepeopleeater wrote: I was thinking more along the lines of a black line down the side, not some acid induced painting, :)

I don't know... it might look good on YOUR rig lol.

Hodakaguy

insyncro Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Curious to see how much your gas mileage drops with the new top.