TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 356A Rear end restoration Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
themetalsurgeon Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:41 pm

This 1959 Porsche 356A in the past had been rear ended and poorly repaired as shown in the photos.They had overlapped in stead of butt welding the rear clip to the body.They also had replaced with an incorrect inner clip.

follow this thread on the restoration process to final lead work.

thanks!

themetalsurgeon Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Next stage.Before operating on the outer skin we notice the lock mechanism is incorrectly fitted as shown (notice the extra pair of bolts through the flange),indicating the inner clip is incorrect and has been replaced at the same time as the outer.
Upon removing the outer skin the detail on the inner pressing clarify s this inner panel is incorrect.Not only has the inner panel been replaced,to a poor grafting job to boot.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

themetalsurgeon Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:49 pm

You'll notice not only the height difference in the incorrect inner clip install but the lack of the panel features regarding the mounds.I took a pattern of an original car and implemented into our car with aid of an English wheel and plannishing hammer.Sections were grafted in and metal finished to result in a correct inner clip.

MMW Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:27 am

You do awesome work! I enjoy see the metal work you do. Do you use a foot control or finger control on your tig?

I wish your shop was close to me (NJ). I would love to take a tour. Do you have any shop photos?

jjjjack Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 am

I think if you do metal work AND quote Ian Brown, you GOTTA know what you're doing :-)

chrisflstf Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:16 pm

That is without a doubt the finest metal work I have ever seen. You have a skill that is unbelievable. Thanks for sharing

themetalsurgeon Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Beginning to fit the outer clip to the body,which includes setting the gap and extending the sheet metal of the clip to meet the body.Last photos show plannishing shape into the new sheet metal to seamlessly transform the shape.

ensys Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Mr. themetalsurgeon:

I'm picking any nits, but I am curious. There is a Factory joint around there somewhere. Are you building to it, from it, around it?

Just idle curiosity.

And of course, nice job of work.

themetalsurgeon Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:56 pm

ensys wrote: Mr. themetalsurgeon:

I'm picking any nits, but I am curious. There is a Factory joint around there somewhere. Are you building to it, from it, around it?

Just idle curiosity.

And of course, nice job of work.

There was originally a factory joint there,but the previous repairer destroyed that joint line.After measuring ,the joint line closest to the rear of the car falls extremely close to the original joint.

thanks for the question.

bbspdstr Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 am

This is like med school for old cars!
My patient here is also an A. I removed the outer skin to make the inner rust repair easier and faster. Now, I'm looking for a professional opinion.....not wanting to take the time to make a hammerform to replace the area where a former owner had cut away for a "racing exhaust" in it's sordid past, I fabricated from flat stock the general area to be replaced, but now it needs a contour across that lower rear...slight, but I can't use the wheel.
I'm thinking a dolly(s) and slapper to create a low crown, working from the center out, crease up and down. Dr., would you concur?
I've never had to make this area in MY sordid past and wanted to make it in one piece. Was that a waste of time in your opinion?
I understand 'real' docs communicate about patient's symptoms via Internet contacts, so from a sturgeon to a surgeon, thanks in advance for any opinions.
-Bruce Baker

Bulli Klinik Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:34 am

I'm not a Doctor, but I do have a wheel. I'd cut it of and wheel it if I were you. If you don't have a wheel, I'd cut it off and shape it on the bench. I think that you're going to be swinging your way to frustration trying to shape that with hammer swings from the back side.

bbspdstr Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Mike, Jon, I found today the frustration of trying to form that part even on a shrinker/stretcher and bag, so I cut it and wheeled it for practice and will do another from at least 2 pieces.
It's innate talent and doing something repeatedly that gets Jon's results (and probably yours, Mike, but is your work pictured here or anywhere? I'd like to see that of others.)

I have too many hats to wear to get very good at anything and can only trust to luck and input from others. My wife worries out loud about what will happen when no more rabbits are in my top hat.

I'll post what tomorrow brings on the lower rear A section...but it won't be solved by some holes drilled as anchoring points and filler built up to make the contour...as so many of the cars coming along now have had done in their pasts.

Thanks again!

themetalsurgeon Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Continuing on the rear right.TIG welding,taking the top of the weld off only to metal finishing with a slapper/spoon,various dollies and a bench file.

Braukuche Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Amazing work, I imagine it must cost a fortune to have this level of work done, at least I hope you are getting a fortune for doing such nice work.

themetalsurgeon Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Braukuche wrote: Amazing work, I imagine it must cost a fortune to have this level of work done, at least I hope you are getting a fortune for doing such nice work.

if your interested i will post the time taken from start to finish.

LHG Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

themetalsurgeon wrote: Braukuche wrote: Amazing work, I imagine it must cost a fortune to have this level of work done, at least I hope you are getting a fortune for doing such nice work.

if your interested i will post the time taken from start to finish.

I'd be interested...

ensys Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Sir:

I wonder if you might sign your posts so that we fans may address you by name with proper respect.

Also, another question, this time regarding your Clieco (sp?) technique:

Do I read the fotos correctly if I assume that a tab is spotted to the loose piece, which is then set in position and then said tab is Cliecoed to the fixed piece prior to spot-welding the joint?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can here.

Thanks.

MMW Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 am

I also would be interested in how much time it takes. Even a ballpark dollar amount would be nice also. For some reason it seems to be a taboo subject to discuss time & money spent on restorations. I never understood why.

bbspdstr Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 am

Many years ago, I had done a quality restoration (one of 5 over many years for the same man) for a guy who had a wife (now ex-) who wanted control over everything.

He had deep pockets but kept the financial dealings with me colored in his favor so as not to rock the boat.

When his nice red SC Cab was finished, his wife drove him to the shop to pick it up. She walked around the 356 with a look of amazement and said to me; "I can't believe you did this nice a job for only $1,800! I thought it would have cost MUCH more!"....I looked at him, he winked.....but I wish he had told me in advance that he had dropped several zeros off the deal!

She got him though.....she threw away his original radio, his original Solexes and all his books and magazines saved for many, many years and stored in their garage. "They were just collecting dust," she said.

That said, if we need surgery on ourselves, do we ask "how much" and price shop or do we go on referrals? The work seen on this now-pirated thread (sorry) is absolutely the best...regardless of price.

BTW, I made the rear piece I posted about out of two. Gas and hammer-welded it's not bad, but Dr. Jon could likely have made it better. I'll butt(weld) out now.

MMW Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 pm

"That said, if we need surgery on ourselves, do we ask "how much" and price shop or do we go on referrals?"

Didn't mean it for price shopping purposes. Just that many times I have asked someone about how much time or money they spent & am told "I'd rather not say". I never understood that other than assume that they spent more than it is worth & are embarrassed by it? Even if they bought the car complete sometimes they don't give the purchase price. I know it can be looked at as none of my business & understand that but more times than not it is like some well kept secret.