TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1949 Porsche Gmund at Cars N Coffee in Irvine, CA on 7/7/12 Page: 1, 2  Next
_Trevor_ Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 pm

The fun thing about going to Cars N Coffee is that you never know what cars will be there, the excitement of which does make it a little easier to roll out of bed on a Saturday morning before 7AM. I got lucky and saw this Gmund this past Saturday. I didn't stop to talk with the owner or his wife but I did hear him tell another guy that this Gmund was #50. IMHO, it was REALLY cool of him to bring it out for everyone to see. I even took some video of him driving off. If anyone has a YouTube account and wants to see it I can email it to them to upload.

Enjoy the pics...

Wiggy Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Doesn't get any cooler than that.

79SuperVert Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Anticipated the lowered look by decades...

Erik G Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Stunning!!

Glenn Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Slammed on "Earlys" before the are Earlys.

Gotta love it.

MMW Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Really cool. I was thinking the same about it being lowered. Did these cars sit really low or were the rear fenderwells cut lower than the newer ones?

mpribanic Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:58 pm

X2, the owner of that Gmünd deserves some serious props!

What up Trevor! You can post on YouTube and the paste the link here and it will display the video on the Samba. Just gotta use the YouTube quotes.

Thanks for posting!

808OvalGreasemonkey Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Incredible car! Are those tail lights incorrect though? I thought the early cars had the rectangular light and the round one on top of it? I don't know,just asking?

jjjjack Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Gorgeous! So sleek.

808OvalGreasemonkey: #45 is restored and has a single beehive on each side....the early Pre-As had a rectangular lens over a beehive. I've seen some Gmund photos with the rectangulars, too, though.

Mic: When they switched to the wider 15" wheels (A) the rear fender arch was reshaped and is higher. I think the early cars look lower, too, because the sill wraps under the car and isn't interrupted by a deco strip.

Jon Schmid Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:55 pm

I hope to see it at Dana Point Sunday if not a return to C and C Saturday.
Jon

Bub Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Amazing. All those early cars blow me away, there is simply nothing like it.
Curious..rear view mirror? That cant be right...can it?

DanM Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:19 pm

wowwwww. My local C&C is pretty good but that takes the cake.

808OvalGreasemonkey Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:27 pm

You KNOW somebody had to ask him "Is it real?" "or a kit"? Hahahahah,just kidding! Those damn replicas :? :lol:

Pat KG Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Trevor

Thanks for posting the pics here and over there. It reminds me of the Gmund coupe.

Here is a video of an early car (52) I posted over there a few days ago--sometimes, late at night when my wife goes to be early, I peruse the YouTube site for old cars and planes. I found this one--hadn't seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVBgniBemg

Sebastian Gaeta Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I almost hate to post this, but a couple of things about this car to answer some previously asked questions. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS BY NO MEANS A CRITICISM o fthe car or its owner, just some observations. Also note that there is no doubt the car's owner knows all of this.

Many of the pieces on this car are not period correct. Again, not a criticism, just pointing it out. Usually this is because said items are impossible to find and/or the owner is still searching for the correct items or deciding whether or not to fabricate them etc, etc.

Gmund cars TYPICALLY do not have two beehive tail lights, do not have front windshield aluminum trim, have a flat aluminum trim piece instead of the pre-A hood handle, have European headlight buckets that adjust at 4 and 7 and do not have that style rear view mirror/visor. A few other things like the Kienzle 8 day clock and the yellow gauges were likely not around in '49

That said, I would be thrilled to have this car just as it sits. The only reason I bring these things up is because a few people asked about certain items and I simply added a few of my own.

Bottom line: This is the coolest Porsche to own!!!

Shadd Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Bub wrote: Amazing. All those early cars blow me away, there is simply nothing like it.
Curious..rear view mirror? That cant be right...can it?

I was just wondering the same thing. Looks just like the mirror/visor from my old 59 bug.
The car looks like its a survior so you really can't pick apart every detail like you would with a totally restored car. Some cars like this have had these parts on them for longer than they have the original parts. Its all part of the history.

jjjjack Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Here's Trevor's video of it running!

Sebastian Gaeta Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Shadd wrote: The car looks like its a survior so you really can't pick apart every detail like you would with a totally restored car. Some cars like this have had these parts on them for longer than they have the original parts. Its all part of the history.

Totally agree!

Many people do not think authenticity is important and that is fine, they should not be criticized for that.

For some owners authenticity is important whether it be on old VW's & Porsches or old Model A's and Muscle Cars. So when they discuss a particular car that is typically what interests them. Keep in mind that many will point out "what's wrong" with a car not as a criticism, but to point out authenticity. It is that knowledge of "correctness" that must stay true so their cars can be preserved as they wish. Uptight? Yeah, I would not argue that, but that is what they are passionate about.

Anyway, I am way off topic here; I see both sides and like 'em any way they come!

Braukuche Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Anyone know what engine he is running? Sweet car, eye drooling lines.

dawerks Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 pm

79SuperVert wrote: Anticipated the lowered look by decades...

.. and narrowed beams :)