TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: custom gauge mount
esde Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:05 pm

I've looked around for a long time trying to find something I like for mounting gauges in my bug. There really isn't anything nice. Granted, the stock speaker location is ideal to keep an eye on them, but I really like the grill with the chrome trim. The little folded metal panels that hang under the dash let all of the wires dangle, and look awful. This is my first shot at this, after making a few mock ups with cardboard. It somewhat follows the lines of the dash, and puts 3 gauges where you can see them. Mounts with the ignition screw, and one you have to drill under the glove box. Now I just have to find 3 matching gauges, or design and print a white gauge face for my VDO cylinder head temp and I can mount it up!

flyboat Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I like it. send it to me and I'll make a mold for it and sell them in fiberglass. I'll share the profits.

esde Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:13 am

Got a message, realized I never followed up w this. So far I like it, the line of sight is good and I didn't have to hack up the dash.

I'm waiting to find a deal on some white face gauges, my experience so far is that spotting a red needle on a black face takes a few seconds longer than a white face..
Anyway, I did have the template converted to a dwg file, and am going to peddle the flat water jet cut blanks at a few shows as people seem to like this and want to know where to get it.