TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Interior door handle position?
onetuza Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 am

I'm a newbie owner of a '65 type 1, and as far as I can tell from online photos, my interior door handles were reinstalled incorrectly. They angle forward and interfere with cranking the window.

I know about how to remove them but before I attemt it, can someone tell me if there are multiple positions that the handle can be placed in' or has the previous owner put the left handle on the right and vice versa? Below is a photo of the right side. The left side is similar.

[/img]

RareAir Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 am

There is a splined shaft that the inner handle mounts to. Yes, you can easily remove the handle & "re-clock" it to a more ergonomic position for yourself. From your photo, it's placed at the 7 o'clock position, I suggest the 5 o'clock position myself.

jzjames Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 am

From what I have seen that is the angle that the handle is usually in.
I would also be interested in how the handles and window crank were installed when new.

onetuza Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 am

jzjames wrote: From what I have seen that is the angle that the handle is usually in.
I would also be interested in how the handles and window crank were installed when new. Here's a shot from the August 1965 Owner's Manual
[/img]

BWD Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 am

Andy just posted this in another thread.

onetuza Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:17 am

It was not an easy task with those stiff springs, but I got them moved to the 5:00 position which seemed pretty good to me. Thanks to all for input.

sportin-wood Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 am

BWD wrote: Andy just posted this in another thread.

I would have to agree with this graphic. If the handle is placed at 5 O'clock (assuming we're looking at a passenger door) when locked, it would be very easy for a would-be thief to sneak a wire with a loop at the end in between the windows to secure onto the handle and open the door...

jzjames Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 am

In the above photo, the window crank is with the window rolled up I assume.
Thanks for the photo.

ericbogert Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Don't want to start another new thread, and I wanted to ask the same question as the last post. So what is the correct position to install the window crank with the window down (or up), and specify left (driver) or right (passenger) side. I have my driver door panel on, door handle is on, but I need to know the correct position for the window regulator handle.
Thanks!

stale air Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Actually, before ever seeing the pic posted above, I had set my window handles up like that. My reasoning was so that whether the windows were in the up or down position, the longest point of the cranks would be furthest away, so my left or right knee wouldnt hit them if my foot was resting flat on the floor and my leg was to naturally lean over towards the door panel. It may sound wierd, but it made sense to me. :D

Keith Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:06 pm

sportin-wood wrote: BWD wrote: Andy just posted this in another thread.

I would have to agree with this graphic. If the handle is placed at 5 O'clock (assuming we're looking at a passenger door) when locked, it would be very easy for a would-be thief to sneak a wire with a loop at the end in between the windows to secure onto the handle and open the door...

Screw the wire, the thief would either smash the window or more likely take the palm of their hand and pop the front of the vent window causing the vent wing latch to break and pop off, they would then open the vent window and open the door. On my old '72 I could rock the vent window back and forth (palm on the left and right sides) and that would cause the latch to move and then unlock the vent window, I then would open it up and could get in the car. When we were bored me and my buddy would have a contest to see who could do it the fastest.

sportin-wood Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 am

ovalteen wrote: sportin-wood wrote: BWD wrote: Andy just posted this in another thread.

Screw the wire, the thief would either smash the window or more likely take the palm of their hand and pop the front of the vent window causing the vent wing latch to break and pop off, they would then open the vent window and open the door. On my old '72 I could rock the vent window back and forth (palm on the left and right sides) and that would cause the latch to move and then unlock the vent window, I then would open it up and could get in the car. When we were bored me and my buddy would have a contest to see who could do it the fastest.

Screw that - I had one of my bugs stolen with the method I described.

rustednuggs Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 pm

While on this topic ..what is the best way to get interior door handles/cranks on. Mine slid over the door crank but that little pin is a pain to slide through the whole to hold the door crank/handle on. Any advice? Or is there another way?

Thanks in advance!

Rustednuggs

RareAir Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:47 pm

rustednuggs wrote: While on this topic ..what is the best way to get interior door handles/cranks on. Mine slid over the door crank but that little pin is a pain to slide through the whole to hold the door crank/handle on.

Sounds like you're installing it correctly. It sucks, but that's how its done

rustednuggs Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks! Man its tricky. I thought I could put the pin in first and then hit/smack/beat the handle on? But it sounds like my first way is the only way.

rustednuggs

itskyle Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:21 am

rustednuggs wrote: Thanks! Man its tricky. I thought I could put the pin in first and then hit/smack/beat the handle on? But it sounds like my first way is the only way.

rustednuggs

He's right. It IS tricky. I've done this so far about three or four times on my drivers side. With repetition, I have refined the process somewhat.

The most daunting thing is being afraid to lose those little metal dowel rods. Definitely do NOT put them on, then try and put the handles on. I believe the dowel pins do some rudimentary attachment to the spindles.

What I do, I grab my trusty needle nose pliers, and hammer it in using a blunt object, like a flathead screwdriver or punch or something so as to avoid hitting any fingers. Of course, I can't get them on accurate to the stock photo, but each time I'm coming closer. For a while, I had experimented with a window handle for both door handle and window crank. It seemed to work better, but added to confusion as to which was which when getting out of the car.

Oh yeah, and the super secret to this method is to hold your tongue in a certain manner and be well-versed in German swear rods if the worst befalls you.

Good luck, and let us know, how it goes.

Kyle