TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Heater channel bottom plate replacement
strattonjr Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 pm

I am going to be replacing the bottom skin of my driver side heater channel. Should I just cut off the old piece, leaving the old lip welded on, or do I need to drill the spot welds and completely remove the old lip from the main part of the channel?

Not sure what proper protocol is. The lip is small and the spot welds are every inch. I'm afraid of the structural loss of drilling all those welds and mangling the lip.

krusher Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:13 pm

normal full repair is the take the whole bottom off and replace with a complete new bottom.

I don't enjoy using the spot weld drill, so i just grind off the old panel

JoelH Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 am

anyone ever done this replacement? The bottoms of my channels have rusted spots, and I was thinking that I could pull the body off the pan this winter, remove the rusted out bottoms, coat the inside of the heater channels with POR15 and weld on the new bottoms. Then, since I also have to repair the back of both channels which are in the rear wheel wells, I could finish spraying on the POR15 through that hole, then weld in the metal for that hole and finish it off.

I am looking to see if someone has done it that has tips or tricks, or possibly pictures of when they did it, so I know what to expect.

W1K1 Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:33 am

i found mine just before it was going to the paint shop, they drilled out the welds, blasted, painted and welded new ones on

there were just pin holes on the other side when I was stripping paint with a wire brush.