TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1961 Dethleffs Camping Trailer
Michael11 Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Well I pulled out of my driveway yesterday morning at 5:30 AM, returned at 10:30 PM. Total KM's driven: 1140 (708 miles) Long day, but well worth it (in my mind anyway!)

I am the proud new owner of a 1961 Dethleffs Camping trailer! I have not been able to find much about these on the internet, but I was lucky enough to receive the original pamphlet and documents from the factory, as well as a title. I will scan them and see if Everett wants to post them up.

The story behind this one is that it was owned by an RCMP Officer that was stationed in Germany. He bought it there, traveled much of Europe with it then shipped it home..

Does anyone any info on these trailers? if so, please share!
Anyway, here are a few pics!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wythac Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:26 am

I don't have any info other than that which you already know: Your trailer is very cool.

Michael11 Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Hey thanks!

It really is a cool little trailer... I just need to rewire it and I'll probably go over the wheel bearings. After that, I'll be camping!!

Unclesalty Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:25 am

Pretty sure its the same company if this helps:

http://www2.dethleffs.de/gb/company/company.php

Westfabulous Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:20 pm

That is super cool. I love it.

Sahara74 Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:26 am

Greetings,
I am reviving this old posting since I am the new owner of this German Dethleffs 1961 Camper. It may be the only one in the U.S. of A. but just incase there's another one here, I thought I would give it a try and see if we can connect. I would love to share information with anyone overseas too. I plan to eventually restore it back closer to original but in the mean time, just go camping and enjoy the cool vintage vibe. The best part is the wife loves it. It tows very well behind my '66 beetle as it only weighs 400 lbs. empty.

EverettB Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:36 am

Congrats on the purchase!

Bummer that the original photos above went dead since they were not hosted here but I found 2 in the Gallery and added them to the first post.

Here's another vintage photo I found in the Gallery too