TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
notchboy Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

For fear of getting slammed, Ill start yet another thread on side tents. But I think this should be the one to come to for all questions on all new or old side tents for Bay Window Buses. Or just show off what you have. I looked over four pages of, free for all tent questions. So maybe we can compile all the cool tent info here? Pics, and questions from any tents you have. White Stag-Hirsch Weis, Westfalia, ASI ect....

I don't have any questions at this time but I did want to show some cool shots of side tents seen at the Shoreline Show. So if these are yours speak up!

One was a Westfalia Tent that is a fairly common one to see, but not everyone goes out of their way to display one at a show. The second was an ASI Rivi tent, definitely a rare site anywhere.

The ASI side tent

Emily's Owner Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:09 pm

This is a tent made by Beckel Canvas Products in the 70's, and was an option when purchasing your VW Bus from Riviera/Sunset Motors in Beaverton, Oregon. Beckel is still in operation, but make pricy wall tents now. As the side tent is fairly flimsy, we use an awning in case it rains.

notchboy Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Emily's Owner wrote: This is a tent made by Beckel Canvas Products in the 70's, and was an option when purchasing your VW Bus from Riviera/Sunset Motors in Beaverton, Oregon. Beckel is still in operation, but make pricy wall tents now. As the side tent is fairly flimsy, we use an awning in case it rains.

I can see you pic on my phone, but not here on the samba. Cool tent! Here is one I have - A hersch weis made in Portland (white stag).

chazz79 Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm in the market for an affordable, easy to set variation on these. After witnessing what a pain the westy circus tent is to set out I can see why they're coming out less and less at shows.

peaceful warrior Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:52 pm

chazz79 wrote: I'm in the market for an affordable, easy to set variation on these. After witnessing what a pain the westy circus tent is to set out I can see why they're coming out less and less at shows.

????? I think the Westy tents are easy to set up.

peaceful warrior Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Here are the four that I have. I like the Westy tents the best, for setup and that they have a floor and sock that will keep my dogs in the tent area.
The third one I like, but no floor or sock.
The last one I hate, and Chazz79 I will sell it to you. :wink: :lol:

busdaddy Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Great idea J, I've never had a Riv tent but it looks like it's better suited for splitty doors, are the later models different with a slider pocket or was there only one version?, I've seen the snaps along the rocker on Rivieras but never the tent that came with them. As for the red bus witn the Westfalia tent it's a shame whoever set it up didn't spend the extra 2 minutes and attach it to the bus fully, the best feature is being able to open and close the door while the tent is attached.

As for Chazz after a few setups the Westy tent goes up fast (~5-6 minutes from bag to beers) and comes down just as quick, it's all about the sequence of events and training your helper :wink:

peaceful warrior Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Here is a tent I came across a couple of years ago. I think Jason knew what it was. Seller would not negotiate on the price so I passed. It was all a heavy canvas.

grandpa pete Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Iwanted to extend the bed out the back so I wouldn't have to break down the bed to make breakfast

One sheet plywood, $49.00 tent,2 rachet straps,magnets

notchboy Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Ha I remember your take on a Amescador grandpa pete! I will have the repop version for my 77 some day.

busdady I tend to agree that the ASI is better suited for the double doors. Even the White Stag I posted is. But I think they were made more generic, not form fitted like the Westy tent. Ive seen Ads where the white stag is on an old ford van. The ASI and White Stag are very simular and when I was at the show I tried to see if I could find some sort of Stag connection with the ASI one. If Riviera built other conversions for other cars then Id bet the tents were maybe made more generic?

Brian that one is a VWoA tent. Cool tent to if you can get one at a decent price. The one you hate is straight out old school Euro type. Ive seen lots of vintage pics with those big no bottom types.

busdaddy Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 pm

notchboy wrote: busdady I tend to agree that the ASI is better suited for the double doors. Even the White Stag I posted is. But I think they were made more generic, not form fitted like the Westy tent. Ive seen Ads where the white stag is on an old ford van.

Ahh yes, sometimes I forget thet there were other players in the van scene of the time, we had both an Econoline and a Dodge Sportsman with mild camperizations after dad's VW phase and both had doors that would work fine with that tent. I wish I could find pics of the 2 or 3 different splitty 21 windows with the tent Mom made attached, no doubt in a box somewhere :?

notchboy Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:42 pm

There were a couple different types of universals out there too.

notchboy Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Could this be the link between White Stag and ASI ??? :-k

ncstagger Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 am

peaceful warrior wrote: Here is a tent I came across a couple of years ago. I think Jason knew what it was. Seller would not negotiate on the price so I passed. It was all a heavy canvas.

That's a VW Campertent. I had one years ago and loved it, very durable tent, held up good in all weather, heavy duty floor. Actually I still have it, found it one of my dad's barns earlier this year, the bottom foot of canvas is rotted, may try to repair it.

pioneer1 Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 am

I have a westy tent but no poles- anyone have a spare set? or has anyone made their own replacements? :idea:

peaceful warrior Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:18 am

pioneer1 wrote: I have a westy tent but no poles- anyone have a spare set? or has anyone made their own replacements? :idea:

No spares, but I have seen them for sale on occasion.
I have also seen them made out of metal conduit. You can flare conduit, so one will slide into the next.
I think one of mine has incorrect uprights, but I don't know where they came from.

Here is one, that would be worth picking up for the poles.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=980982

UPI Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:47 pm

I got the OZtent. If I want I connect the awning to the bus. Can put it up within a few minutes, the actual tent in seconds.

There's a vid as well but it's in Dutch. It will however show the tent inside frame.

It's quite big, so during travel I store it on the roofrack.

bignick Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:36 pm

I know some of my buddies have had trouble with their Westy tent's rubber drip rail attachment and one of them had the canvas dry rot with rubber piece ripped off. We repaired it by getting a matching piece of canvas and making a pocket, the entire length of the tent so that he could put a piece of conduit through it and clamp it into the rain gutter. It was a great way to save an otherwise junk tent and turned wrestling the piece onto the gutter into a 30 second job. Just thought I'd share that tidbit

atmellovw Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:34 pm

I have the original side tent for my bus...never use it though. What I would like is a canvas attachment for the slider so you could keep the slider open and insert said canvas in the opening. It could have some screen windows and a zippered opening like a tent. I think of this every time I get up in the middle of the night to do my business and have to open an close the noisy slider! Anybody ever seen something like this?

notchboy Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Keift&Klock sell a slider masquito net with zipper.